Prayers for Havoc please.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Last night my ferret Havoc was completely fine he was playful and running about as usual when I fed him. I just went in a few minutes ago and he's not doing well at all. It seems his back legs/hind end isn't working at all and he's not looking very well. We don't have any e-vets here, so I have to wait until tomorrow to take him in. I'm very worried he's not going to make it to morning, prayers please.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Last night my ferret Havoc was completely fine he was playful and running about as usual when I fed him. I just went in a few minutes ago and he's not doing well at all. It seems his back legs/hind end isn't working at all and he's not looking very well. We don't have any e-vets here, so I have to wait until tomorrow to take him in. I'm very worried he's not going to make it to morning, prayers please.
Oh no!! Please make sure that you keep him hydrated, even if that means forcing him to drink (with a syringe). With the heat, he could easily/quickly get dehydrated.

And I didn't know you have a ferret!! You should post pics, when you can ;) There's a few of us here lol

<<Vibes>> that he'll be alright!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I know absolutely nothing about ferrets so I'm no help, but prayers for your Havoc.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I put a small bowl in the bottom of his cage near him with water as he was trying to reach his water and he drank some and then just layed back down. D: I just don't know what it could be.

Labyrinth

Have you noticed him stare off in to space at all? Could be a blood sugar issue. For my insulinomic ferrets I've always been told to put some honey on their gums followed by a high protein meal. I'm not sure what effect this would have if it's not a blood sugar issue though, so maybe some of the other ferret owners may have an idea. And of course like Jess suggested make sure he's hydrated. If you pinch the skin on the back of his neck it should spring back in place, if it doesn't it shows dehydration.

I hope it's something easily remedied, keep us updated.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Have you noticed him stare off in to space at all? Could be a blood sugar issue. For my insulinomic ferrets I've always been told to put some honey on their gums followed by a high protein meal. I'm not sure what effect this would have if it's not a blood sugar issue though, so maybe some of the other ferret owners may have an idea. And of course like Jess suggested make sure he's hydrated. If you pinch the skin on the back of his neck it should spring back in place, if it doesn't it shows dehydration.

I hope it's something easily remedied, keep us updated.
You too, peektures!! lol there's def not enough ferret pictures on chaz... it's like only me and AllieMackie ever post ferret pics lol

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oops forgot to add, lol, things that will cause sudden hind weakness are insulinoma, adrenal disease, cardiovascular disease, aleutian disease, and spinal disease.
So I suggest bringing him in to the vet tomorrow, these can be treated, but with meds :)

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Havoc passed away very early this morning. I went down to check on him at 5:30 and he was gone. It's a very sad day in our household. While I'm sad that he's gone, it was very clear he was suffering and I'm glad he's no long in pain. I'm sorry I'm not quite sure what to say, we gave him a proper burial with his beloved hammock and favorite toy. He'll be sorely missed.

My beautiful boy.

He loved snuggling this way:

Labyrinth

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds very similar to how my little girl Sasha died, but I was really hoping the outcome would be different for you. He was a handsome boy, RIP Havoc :(

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Thank everyone for your condolences, I think the hardest part was there was no advance warning. It all happened in a period of 24 hrs. Labyrinth, do you know what it was that took your little girl?

Labyrinth

Sasha had both adrenal and insulinoma, but I'm pretty sure it was the insulinoma that claimed her life in the end. We went through a lot of problems with her in the last year of her life, and nothing we tried seemed to make any real difference. When it got closer to the end, she had a much more difficult time using her back legs. She wasn't very active and was way too heavy for her small frame, so I was never sure if it was the insulinoma or if she just couldn't support her own weight on the slippery laminate of their play area. When I let them out to play she just wanted to curl up next to me and sleep. She had troubles climbing in to the litter box on her own, and as she went she couldn't stand and ended up messing all over herself so I had to clean her and put diaper cream on her every time she went to avoid a rash. On her last day I found her collapsed on the bottom of the cage with a trail of poop and urine behind her. She tried to get to the box but just couldn't make it. My vet was about to close, and I just wasn't ready to let her go so quickly as time passed I realized I should have brought her in, but I hoped she'd stay with me until Monday at least. So I just held her in my arms and 5 hours later she finally decided on her own that it was time to go. That's why I asked about the staring in to space. It's an indication of insulinoma, and the crash you described reminded me of when Sasha finally gave up the fight against the disease.

I'm so sorry about Havoc, I know how much it hurts to lose a carpet shark. It's been almost 5 months now and I still miss her like crazy.

Members online

No members online now.