Multiple crates?

I'll be bringing home a Wheaten Terrier pup (born 2/5) the first week in April. We will be crate training. Do puppies adapt well to multiple crates? For example a wire crate (with a divider for when it's a pup) for it's primary home housing and a small plastic-sided crate for transport?

I like the idea of the more open wire crate so that I can see the pup better while in the home, but obviously that isn't best for travel. Are two crates too confusing, or will the pup simply associate the different crates with different activities?

And on a related note, bringing home the 8-week pup will involve a 5 hour drive home. We'll spend the night in the area the night before so as to be able to pick up the pup early in the morning in order to arrive home well before it'd be time to attempt to get the pup settled for the evening. For a 5-hour drive, should the pup be crated? Or held in a blanket or towel? Or a little of both?

Thnaks in advance for any suggestions.

Mac'sMom

Our papillon pup has adapted well to different crates. We have a wire crate at home and a travel crate as well. He goes to work with us everyday (we have our own business) and we have another wire crate at work. We're not have any problems.

Good luck

Louise_H

See how the pup acts. When I brought Holly home it was a 30 min drive and she stayed in a box...and when taking her out I used to put her in a carrier as she used to jump around a lot so for safety issues... But now ( 2 months later )she loves to sit on my lap and she hardly fidgets at all. so see how the pup acts and then decide :)

Members online