My dog suddenly forgot housetraining!!!

troll

Sam, my hound dog mix is about 2 years old. He was stray and we adopted him. For nearly 2 years his always asked to go outside and never went in the house. Now all of the sudden in the last 2 weeks he's been peeing on 3-4 different places in the house. We never catch him because we are usually asleep. My wife says we'll just have to make him stay outside all night, but then he whines at the window all nite long. He's used to sleeping inside with the rest of us. Anybody have any advice? :confused:

showpug

I worked in a vet clinic for almost 5 years and your dog is showing a classic sign of a urinary tract infection. Get him to the vet for a urinalysis right away. If he has one, some simple meds. will fix his problem and he will most likley improve in a few days. Urinary tract infections are uncomfortable and cause dogs to urinate in the house. Good luck and let us know. :)

You do it all the time too, Doberluv. I get ready to reply to something and then see you've done it already, saying just the things I intended to say. Great minds, and all that! :D

troll

No urinary infection!!!

I got Sam checked out and the vet said results came back OK. Now what?...the vet suggests neutering........but I feel this could be a waste of time and money.... :confused: not sure why he just started this aggravating problem!!!

showpug

Oh my gosh...I did not know that your dog was not neutered :confused: Defiantly a HUGE PROBLEM. This will only get worse if he is not neutered. If you do go through with the surgery, please know that it will take a few weeks for his hormones to filter out of his system, so an immediate behavior change can not be expected. I would also purchase D.A.P. comfort zone and reinforce potty training! Intact males will almost always mark in the house. A lot of times this starts later in life after they have matured. Outside things can trigger it as well, like neighbors having a female dog in heat, or other dogs that your dog is smelling that are near his territory. There is no reason to keep your dog intact, and it's not a waste of money, as there are many health benfefits, not to mention a happier and better adjusted pet. :) The #1 dog that gets hit by cars is an INTACT male, not to mention accidental breedings that lead to so many euthanized dogs each year. Even if you don't think that either of the above are possible in your situation, be responsible and GET YOUR DOG NEUTERED!!!!

Members online

No members online now.