Leonbergers

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've always had a thing for this breed. I've met a few, but it's been awhile.

What do you know about them? I wish Cleo's person was still on Chaz.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't know much sadly, we have one that comes in for grooming and he's very sweet (much like the newfies who come in attitude wise)
and his groom takes about 2-3 hours lol but he is patient and quiet and very very nice to the groomer (they were formally introduced and she spent some time with him before grooming for the first time)

- I know he has same-sex aggression issues with other males
- Sheddy

Oh and at around 4, he is considered "old" :( which makes me sad. He has hips/joint problems as well but that may be individual, not a breed wide problem.

MicksMom

I've met a few Leo's- a couple rescue and the rest from breeders. In fact, Caleb's best friend when we were in Novice obedience classes was a Leo. I like them even more after meeting them than I did before. Fran pretty much described the temperament I've seen- kind of Newfieish. Although, I did hear through the grapevine that the one Caleb playes with in class became kind of aggressive when he matured, but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

...What do you know about them? I wish Cleo's person was still on Chaz.
Me, too. I kind of lost track of her the past year or so. I did see a picture of Cleo through someone else's FB page a few weeks ago. Now to just hook up with Gina.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I found a stray leo and held on to her for a couple of days.

They are GREAT dogs. Whenever people want a big laid back family dog, this is what I recommend. They remind me of gigantic goldens with slightly less derp. I mean, there is still some strong derp there. They just are less reactive and more observing/thinking. Think retriever energy vs. mastiff energy.

And hair. So. Much. Shedding.

If I ever wanted a big soft mellow derp, I'd totally get one though. I think they're a much better choice of family dog for most people out there than some more popular dogs.

elegy

overdogged
If I wanted a Giant Hairy Dog, that's what I'd get. The training director and one of the other trainers at my obedience club have them, so I've met.... four? Plus we have two at work. They're all really nice. Big, lumbering, laid-back. Ira's old guy did obedience, rally, and is actually titled in flyball.

IME, the same health issues as other giant breeds-- I'd definitely want to see hip and elbow certifications done if I were buying one. Right now they're not very common, so they are better bred and healthier than a lot of the Giant breeds that I see (Berners for example). I hope they stay unpopular because I'd hate to see them ruined.

Members online

No members online now.