Blossy won't Listen!

I have 2 female Golden Retrievers. Petals is 2 and a half (spayed) and Blossom is 6 months old (not spayed). Petals knows and obeys all basic commands. Blossom will only sit. I cannot get her to sit/stay. I want to use this command as she is horrible at feed time. She jumps up and will not wait to be invited to eat. She only does the one command which is Sit. She doesn't always do that one either:( She is quite the Alfa especially with Petals.

It will help when you get Blossom spayed. Right now she's in doggy adolescence. Raging hormones, pushing her limits, over-exciteable, exuberant, emotional . . . you get the idea.

You might prepare her food while she's shut up in another room, then bring her in on a leash and let her see the food, but not go to it until she accomplishes a good, solid 'Sit.' Consistency - and patience - are your best allies when she's at this age. You might also try some training sessions assisted by Petals. Give the commands, reward Petals when she obeys; don't reward Blossom until she does. This gives you two things: Petals' good example to help you, and it reinforces Petals' position.

Make sure you always greet, feed, pet Petals first - every single time.

We haven't heard from you in awhile! How big is Blossom now? I'd love to see some photos of her, too! I'll bet she's just adorable now - at that mid-stage between cute, cuddly little pup and gangly goofball.

leaughxp

Along with what Renee suggested you could try a down stay (if she knows down). My dog won't stay in a sit stay for two seconds but does very well in a down stay. And like Renee said, don't give her the food until she is sitting. My dog learned VERY FAST he had to sit for his food.

Blossy

Hiya Renee;
Yeah things been real hectic we just moved to a new home December 1. Still in boxes uggg :rolleyes: Anyway Petals has not taken on the Alfa role. Blossy took it on the day she came to us at age 8 weeks :confused: From that day on Petals seemed to want to relinquish power to her. Petals was never a dominant dog.....always submissive to every dog. Any ideas of what I can do to help the situation? Blossy bites Petals alot. After awhile Petals finally bites back, but I fear that Petals will get hurt one day. So far no skin has been broken and no blood shed. The dogs are fed in opposite rooms, as Blossy is a food hound and allergic to every darn food! So she can only have her own food.

There probably won't be any real bloodshed. Neither one of them really wants to hurt the other; they're just arguing the way dogs argue. You should hear Bimmer get after Shiva and Kharma! It sounds like the dog fight to end all dog fights, but there's never any real biting, just noise and teeth flashing. And it always, always seems to happen right around my legs!

I feed Bimmer in a separate room too, just so he can eat in peace. Shiva eats in the laundry room simply because she will inhale hers, then try to steal everyone else's food.

Oops, gotta get back later - Kharma's got to go out!

I'd still use Petals to help train Blossom, even though Petals lets Blossom take the dominant role. You can try to even things out by trying to do things simultaneously, but I'd still, when that's not possible, greet and pet Petals first since she's the senior dog. Just don't make a big deal out of it like you would if Petals wanted to be dominant and Blossom was challenging that.

It will even out with time - and patience! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.