Dog so pampered it can't even walk

We went to the dog park and there was this small
white dog there dressed up in some doggie pajamas
and booties.

The poor dog could hardly walk, kept falling on its butt.
It was not a physical issue from what I could see, the
booties where just making it to hard for him to walk
normally.

He stayed glued to his owner and kept trying to climb up
his leg to pick him up. (to the owners only credit he did
not pick up the dog once)

This poor dog, Charlie went to say hello and he started
growling at him! He went between peoples legs when
other dogs approached him as well cowered and growled.
He was clearly very under socialized and
being at the dog park was not benefiting him.

Another bad small dog owner :(

He might not be undersocialized, it could be that this is his first time in boots and they really sketched him out. The fact that they made him fall over may have put him in a severe state of insecurity hence hiding and growling from approaching dogs. The owner should have noticed this and resolved the issue (remove dog from park or take off the boots).

Just offering an alternate perspective...

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Maybe the clothes were for a reason?
I know with Lucy... I hate having to put her in the snow, I don't know if she just gets too cold or what, but she'll start kind of dragging her hind legs around as if they're paralyzed. I'll probably end up buying her booties. I don't want to put clothes on her but if she's too cold otherwise, I'd say it's the better option.

I don't know, I think I would maybe give the owner the benefit of the doubt on this one. Not socialized well, perhaps; but I think there are other factors that could explain the growling.

krisykris

My small dogs always wear pajamas layered under a coat or sweater. Without it they are shivering, freezing pups and they enjoy being outdoors so I layer accordingly so that they are able to enjoy the snow and fun.

My dogs don't prefer boots and dislike them, so I don't push the issue -- but I would love them to wear some kind of bootie to protect them against salt and cold.

Possibly the dog was new to the boots and the owners were only doing what they thought was best for the dog, by protecting it's feet from the cold.

Also, my yorkie McKenzie is very fearful of other dogs and situations. I work with her on it, but this doesn't make me a "bad" small dog owner. We try to overcome the issue and work on socialization. Maybe that's what these people were trying to do.

I think it's sad when others judge those who dress their dogs in clothes for weather purposes or not. If the dog isn't uncomfortable or hurt, I see nothing wrong with it.

I know that mine wear hoodies or pajamas even in the house when it's chilly. They are cozy in their pajamas and they love to see me take out their coats because they know we're going on a walk.

I get really defensive when people assume because a dog is dressed up, it's a fashion accessory. That is really not true for most people.

Herschel

My small dogs always wear pajamas layered under a coat or sweater. Without it they are shivering, freezing pups and they enjoy being outdoors so I layer accordingly so that they are able to enjoy the snow and fun.
What does size have to do with it? Type of coat determines if a dog will be warm or not--not size. If anything, being smaller and having a higher metabolic rate would mean small dogs are inherently warmer than large dogs!

We have a 17lb Schnauzer mix and a 40lb Border Collie. They are equally active--and they stay equally warm outside. If you want to keep your dog warm, keep them moving. In the case of short coated, poorly insulated breeds like Greyhounds, Dobermans, Boxers, etc. outerwear is absolutely necessary in cold climates. Otherwise, it's either a fashion accessory or its the owner projecting his/her own feelings about the outside temperature onto the dog.

krisykris

What does size have to do with it? Type of coat determines if a dog will be warm or not--not size. If anything, being smaller and having a higher metabolic rate would mean small dogs are inherently warmer than large dogs!

We have a 17lb Schnauzer mix and a 40lb Border Collie. They are equally active--and they stay equally warm outside. If you want to keep your dog warm, keep them moving. In the case of short coated, poorly insulated breeds like Greyhounds, Dobermans, Boxers, etc. outerwear is absolutely necessary in cold climates. Otherwise, it's either a fashion accessory or its the owner projecting his/her own feelings about the outside temperature onto the dog.
Size doesn't have everything to do with it. The OP was talking about size.... so I said my "small dogs".

I don't project any feeling onto my dogs. They tell *me* that they are cold when they are out going potty in the backyard and their ears are shivering and they are shaking. That's enough of a cue for me that they need something on for warmth.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Size doesn't have everything to do with it. The OP was talking about size.... so I said my "small dogs".

I don't project any feeling onto my dogs. They tell *me* that they are cold when they are out going potty in the backyard and their ears are shivering and they are shaking. That's enough of a cue for me that they need something on for warmth.
krisykris... your not around here much are you?!

almost all small dogs are only fashion accessories, why would anyone have them otherwise? sheesh... you dont even realize your a terrible pet owner.:rolleyes:

Well thats the opinion of most here anyway.. obviously not me.

I have a question for you... my poodles have always been fine in the house and a simple fido fleece does outside... but my new yorkie even seems cold at night inside... I cant stand the heat up too high though and I feel bad for him... what pajamas do you recommend? Some people on another board I belong to (for small dogs) use actual baby onsies, but it seems like that wouldnt be to comfortable for the dog. Thanks.

Elissa

SarahFish

I see your point, small dogs are usually the one's that become "babies" to an owner, just because of how easy they are to hold and pick up and how many baby-like things are out there; baby-carriers for dogs, prams, clothing etc.
Sure, there's nothing wrong with clothes if the dog gets cold, fair enough! But if it's just for fashion and the dog is actually annoyed or impaired because of the clothes, it's not fair.

krisykris

krisykris... your not around here much are you?!

almost all small dogs are only fashion accessories, why would anyone have them otherwise? sheesh... you dont even realize your a terrible pet owner.:rolleyes:

Well thats the opinion of most here anyway.. obviously not me.

I have a question for you... my poodles have always been fine in the house and a simple fido fleece does outside... but my new yorkie even seems cold at night inside... I cant stand the heat up too high though and I feel bad for him... what pajamas do you recommend? Some people on another board I belong to (for small dogs) use actual baby onsies, but it seems like that wouldnt be to comfortable for the dog. Thanks.

Elissa
Hey Elissa! No I haven't been around too much lately -- my 4 furbutts keep me so busy :p.

How are your pups? I didn't know you got a yorkie! I have to see some pics :p!

There are actually some great pj's for dogs at Target right now for 5.00 in a snowflake print and holly print, but they are light weight stretchy jersey -- I use them to layer with a jacket.

I have a few links I'll pm you for fleece ones or custom ones :)

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Hey Elissa! No I haven't been around too much lately -- my 4 furbutts keep me so busy :p.

How are your pups? I didn't know you got a yorkie! I have to see some pics :p!

There are actually some great pj's for dogs at Target right now for 5.00 in a snowflake print and holly print, but they are light weight stretchy jersey -- I use them to layer with a jacket.

I have a few links I'll pm you for fleece ones or custom ones :)
the poodles are doing good.

I had been looking for a puppy and had narrowed it down to another poodle, a maltese, a yorkie, or a chi... well I happened to find out that a client of my dads had a little boy (he was the runt, so hes small) left from a litter and we were able to be "bumped" to the top of the list:D He is adorable and the best dog ever. I have some camera issues... but there is one pic of him on here somewhere and hopefully during the holidays Ill have enough time to deal with the camera problems and get some more loaded.

Ill be looking for the PM's thanks.

Elissa

Members online

No members online now.