What breed is right for me?

Hi. I am thinking about getting a dog next year. I dont know what kind of dog is right for my family and I though. Here is what our life is like...

• There are 3 kids in the family...so we need a dog that is excellent with kids and protective of kids, too.
  • We need a dog that does not have a lot of dander or sheds a lot, because my dad is allergic to dogs that shed a lot. He is fine with our pit bull/lab but with our GSD (who no longer lives with us) he did not do well at all. We need a dog that has a thin coat to help these matters.
  • We need a big dog that will get along well and play with Rupert, our pit bull/lab.
  • My grandma is home 24/7 but my sister, brother, and I are at school 7 hours of the day. My mom works for hours unknown everyday, usually is home before I get home from school. My dad works until late at night.
What breed do you think is best?
Here are the breeds I was thinking about. What do you think?
  • Dalmatian
  • Labrador
  • Chesapeake Bay Retriever
  • Curly Coated Retriever
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

joce

Since the biggest factor may end up being allergies I would get in contact with a local rescue. They will be able to call yuo when diffrent dogs become available and the allergy sufferer can go in and meet the dog and see how the reaction is. Also definately think an adult is the way to go if you need a certain coat.

How does your dog get along with other dogs? Pits can be other animal aggressive so I'd go for a very non dominant dog. Probally go with a lab mix of some sort-but then again I've seen a lot of labs lately with more of a dobe personality than a labs.

I want a show dog and I would also like the experience of raising a puppy which I have never had before. Both my GSD and Rupert were rescues.

Rupert is not aggresive at all. He gets along well with my hamster and would even let my salamanders sit on his head.

neapolitanpitbull

Never enough pets
These were my scores:
Congratulations! We found 1 breeds that match your search criteria exactly.
We found 4 breeds matching 90% and 22 breeds matching 80%
Please remember this is only a guide. As with people, each dog has his or her own unique personality and temperament. The breed only offers a higher probability on a given personality and temperament. Good breeders should help you match an individual puppy to your tastes in temperament.

If the breed name in the table below is a link, you can click on the name to learn more about that breed.

Here are your test results. These results show the characteristics of dogs that are suitible for you.

Experiance Level of the handler Breeds for the experianced and novice handlers
Compatibility with Children Good with Children, Good with children if raised with children, Good with older considerate children.
Size of Dog Medium, Large
Type of Coat Smooth, Short, Thick
Level of Exercise Required High, Medium, Low
Level of Grooming Low, Medium
Level of Shedding Medium, Low
Level of Activity Medium, Low
Amount of Training Required High, Medium, Low
Sociability or friendliness to strangers High

Found 27 breeds
100% match 90% match 80% match

Herding Group
Canaan Dogs - Trouble with Children and Social
Shiloh Shepherd (Smooth) - Trouble with Size and Shedding
Shiloh Shepherd (Plush) - Trouble with Size and Coat
Hound Group
Bloodhounds - Trouble with Training
Harrier - Trouble with Training
Basset Hounds - Trouble with Training and Social
Black & Tan Coonhounds - Trouble with Training and Social
Ibizan Hounds - Trouble with Training and Social
Pharaoh Hounds - Trouble with Training and Social
Non-Sporting Group
Bulldogs - Trouble with Training and Social
Sporting Group
Retrievers (Labrador) - Match!
Retrievers (Flat-Coated) - Trouble with Coat
Retrievers (Golden) - Trouble with Coat
Brittanys - Trouble with Coat and Social
Pointers - Trouble with Training and Social
Retrievers (Chesapeake Bay) - Trouble with Training and Social
Setters (English) - Trouble with Coat and Training
Spaniels (Clumber) - Trouble with Training and Social
Spaniels (Field) - Trouble with Coat and Activity
Vizslas - Trouble with Training and Social
Terrier Group
Border Terriers - Trouble with Size and Coat
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers - Trouble with Coat and Training
Working Group
Akitas - Trouble with Training and Social
Bernese Mountain Dogs - Trouble with Training and Social
Boxers - Trouble with Training and Social
Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs - Trouble with Size and Training
Rottweilers - Trouble with Training and Social

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
The dals I've had in my life always shed a goodly amount. I wouldn't pick most of that list as low dander..

If you google the AKC has a suggested list of low dander dogs.

Toller_08

Do not get a Dalmatian for someone with allergies. THey've got to be the worst shedders out there and many people with dog allergies have a very tough time being around them. They're also extremely active and energetic. Much more so than a Lab.

The Curly-Coated Retriever might be good for you guys though! I'd suggest hanging out with a few at an upcoming show (along with other breeds that interest you) just to see what they're really like and if your Dad is allergic.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I wouldn't go with the Chessie. They're pretty major shedders and have a double coat.

A Staffy Bull could work, I'd definitely try to meet some of them and see how you like them. Sometimes a dog sounds perfect for you in writing, but it takes actually going and seeing them to make it seem real.

krisykris

Here's my suggestion - Get a detailed allergy test done for the allergic person before you even begin searching for a breed. Many people are not only allergic to the fur, but to the dander as well. Some people are so allergic that even the saliva of a dog can cause huge problems. AND allergies can change and worsen over time.

I speak from experience here, because I have severe cat allergies/asthma related to it that almost killed me when I was younger. I have two small dogs right now, but I'm on Advair and Claritin to control symptoms. Without the meds, I'd be in big trouble. So, if the allergic person is willing to take drugs and has good insurance or can afford them (advair can cost over 400 for a month) then that could be an option.

I have to tell you though that not every allergic person even on meds can tolerate animals at all, so please just be very thorough in diagnosing him before you get excited about a family pet!

After that... allerpet is a substance that is rubbed on the coat of an animal that cuts down dander and moisturizes the coat so that dander is produced less. It has helped tremendously. Also, get high quality HEPA air filters for each room of your home to cut down on the dander as well. Bathe your dog once a week with a high quality shampoo. Keeping dogs in rooms w/o carpeting also helps a ton. There's nowhere for the dander to "stick".

I don't really think any of those breeds would be right for allergic people.
The best choices are poodles, Portuguese Water Dogs, Cairn Terriers, Bichon Frise's, Malteses, ect.

If you look up on line "hypo allergenic" dogs you should get a detailed list of all sizes temperaments, ect...

Just please remember that no dog is truly hypo allergenic and do your research beforehand! I'm living with allergies but it is a TON more time and effort, money and work to handle it sufficiently. :)

Members online

No members online now.