Smelly/Sore Ears?

Mike_SK

I've been noticing that my dogs ears have been kind of gross smelling lately. She's been pawing at them a bit too in the past few days. I did bathe her a few days ago but never put anything in her ears to keep water out, as I now know I should have done.

Is there anything I should do for this? Mineral oil and a cotton ball? Or is there some sort of antiseptic or other product you use to clean out their ears?

I'll take her to the vet if it doesn't clear up soon, but want to try to clean them myself first.

Thanks

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It sounds like she has an ear infection, in which case I suggest that you take her to the vet first. Ear infections in dogs can be rather tough to get rid of sometimes, so the sooner it's taken care of, the better.

There are some over the counter ear cleaners you can find at the petstores, but i would suggest getting some Epi-Otic or Mal-otic from your vet, along with any potential anitbiotics.

Mike_SK

Thanks Zoom... I figured it'd probably come to that... just trying to avoid a vet trip, but I know its necessary.

On that note, is there anything I need to do to prevent one from happening again? She doesn't get hair in her ears, but she has lab-like flop ears, so I don't know if I have to flip them up or get them to air out or what?

L

LabBreeder

Airing out lab-like or beagle-like ears is a must. Moisture gets in there and the ears don't breath like dogs with stand up ears do. I was cotton ball cleaning Tira's ears almost every day to keep them as clean and healthy as possible, but she ended up with a minor ear infection anyways. We did the vet thing and he cleaned her ears, twice I think, then gave us some antibiotic stuff to squirt in her ears twice a day. Since then she hasn't scratched, shaken or bugged her ears. I thought she might have ear mites and was treating with otc meds for about 10 days. She had brown gunk and a squishy sound at the base when you rubbed the ear together. Anywho, your vet will probably give the antibiotic after cleaning her ears. It's relatively inexpensive too.

Mike_SK

It's weird though, I've had her for almost 3 months and ahven't had problems yet. I've bathed her 4 or 5 times now, but this was the first time I really got the water up by her face and some got into her ears... so I hope it can be cleared up relatively easily.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
This is the best solution I have used when it comes to smelly infected ears. It was given to me years ago by a veterinarian.

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).

Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.
Works great for me. No more trips to the vet office for ear infections.
My dogs do alot of water work so they get ear problems every now and then.
I just clean them once a week with this solution and havent had one since.

L

LabBreeder

Wow. We never had any problems with water getting in her ears. Let me rephrase....water may have gotten into her ears, but there was no problem with infections. Oddly enough our first ear infection wasn't caused by water. Or of it was, she waited an awfully long time to get symptoms after her bath.
Could an ear infection also be caused by scratching at ear mites? What I think happened was that she had ear mites which we treated but got an infection due to all the scratching. Is that possible as well?

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Could be from just about anything
Allergies
Mites
Water
foriegn objects

I just treat once a week as a preventative.
Those hot summer days and swims at the lake make for perfect enviornment for yeast to grow.

To poster...IF you continue to get ear infections and dont know the cause. Check and see if your dog might be allergic to its food or treats.
You can cut out all dog food with vegetables boiled chicken and whole grain rice. Its a plain enough diet that if it is food related you will know as time passes. You can add suppliments too. Like Fish Oil, tuna oil. They contain the DHP which has been known for eye and brain growth.
Another good suppliment is Red Cell for dogs. Great stuff:)

Just thought I might add that.

Members online

No members online now.