Malti poo

iluvdogs

Hello everyone, I am knew and I am 20 :) ..We had 2 dogs already, and we wanted to get a small little dog, so we went and got a Malti poo. Well I was reading up on the net and people were saying stuff as to how it was mean to want a Malti poo because your breading X's or something? Does anyone know? We just got him about 2 weeks ago, and hes really cute!..lol Just not to smart on learning to pee outside, as he was raised outside :( and its WINTER and snow here..The breeder was not a very good one, she had about 6 dogs locked in a pen with the puppies, and the puppy was dirty. I'm glad we got him we paid 200.00 for him, not sure if hes a purebreed though?. She called herself a breeder though?

Saje

Island dweller
Ok she would be a backyard breeder (BYB). A backyard breeder (and puppymills) are places that breed animals only for money. A quality, reputable breeder will not make much (if any) money on their pups. They will spend too much money and time on vet care, food, socialization... A reputable breeder breeds only to improve the breed that they love. Malti-poos are not a breed. They are a mutt. A cross between a maltese and poodles. That's not a breed. It's a trend. Nothing more.

It's not a good idea to pay for a dog like that because they are encouraged to breed more pups and have them in bad conditions like you described. Dogs from bybers and puppymills often have disposition problems and health problems from not being well bred or handled well as a pup.

HOWEVER that's not to say that there is anything wrong with your dog. You have a dog that you love and you are happy with. You may have problems in the future and you may not. The best thing to do is educate yourself as much as possible and just keep an eye on your pup.

How old is he?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
No, there is no way your pup is a purebred. There's no such thing as a purebred Maltipoo, Cockerpoo, Puggle, etc. They are all mutts....crossbreed dogs. Most people on the forum don't like breeders of these animals. There are tons of mutts in the shelters in desperate need of a home. Why is a "Chi-poo" from a breeder over $500, but a "chihuahua/poodle" mix in a shelter is only $40? It's moneymaking, plain and simple.

From what you described, that woman was NOT a good breeder. No breeder would keep dogs in such conditions. She's in it for the money, plain and simple. A good breeder also gives health checks on all their breeding animals, and usually gives a guarantee of health for the life of the dog.

I'm sure you will take good care of your pup, and that he's adorable. But in the future, I would avoid those kinds of breeders and "fad" breeds.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm sure he's cute, but no, he's not a purebred. He's a mix of a Maltese and a poodle. The "breeder" you got him from is what's known as a Back Yard Breeder or "BYB" for short. In general, those people have little to no knowledge about what they're doing and only have puppies for one of two reasons. 1)it was an accident or 2) they're in it for the money. Any good, responsible, contientious breeder knows that you can't make money off of breeding dogs, because the costs of making sure they are producing a sound, healthy litter are just too darn high.

So, enjoy your puppy, but know that you might have a lot of vet bills in your future. Also in the future, if you want a dog and don't plan on showing it, go look at the shelters and rescue organizations instead. There are literally thousands of puppies out there just like yours that are on the verge of being put to sleep because no one wants them. It's good you got yours out of a bad situation though.

We're more than happy to hear stories, see pictures and answers questions! Welcome to the forum!

bubbatd

I'm glad you joined Chaz, and hope that we can help you in the future, Yes, you have a loving pup from 2 breeds of dogs. Your paying $200 for a mutt is pretty pricey , but how can you put a price on love ?? I'm sorry he got a bad start from the BYB , but I'm sure you'll make up for it. There's no excuse for a dirty puppy... I doubt if there was any socialization. You may have the best of both breeds, or the worse. Please post the age and anything else you need help with . Do you have a good puppy book?

iluvdogs

He was born Aug 28 so we got him at 3 Months old. I have pictures of him, I just dont know how to put them on?. I didnt know they were just "Mutts"..lol We have 2 other days that are also Mutts..lol..When we got the puppy, the next day we took him to get a Hair cut!, as it was some what matted and pretty long, but so far he loves it here and he also loves our other dogs, they play alll the time. :)

iluvdogs

I put it in my profile..Is this how I post a picture?..I know he has a old looking face :p ..But hes cute!..lol

Fran27

Did you take him to the vet? If not, you should, I doubt those breeders even bothered getting him the minimum vaccinations.

Beauceron

I'm sure you have a wonderful dog, however he's just a garden variety mutt, the pounds and shelters are full of them...

and it sounds like he came from a Puppy mill.

I agree with everyone else. He is a cutie though and I'm sure you love him and he loves you. Just something I feel I have to add - I wouldn't call him a "maltipoo" (like if someone say "Oh he's so cute? What breed is he?") because most people will think "Okay a 'maltipoo'" and go to some idiot to get a dog rather than think "A poodle/maltese cross" and go to a shelter to get a dog.

bubbatd

I agree.. since he's not a breed, just tell them he's a loving mix....if they ask what... say his Mom was a ? and his dad was a ? .... and add that you love him to dearh !

Madaline

I have a Maltipoo

I got a maltipoo a couple of months ago, she is the most wonderful dog I have every had. I already have a 12 year old minature poodle and was planning on getting another one but was unable to find one, and talked to a breeder and she said there was not alot around right now as they were having alot of trouble with toys and minis with leg problems. So I decided against getting one and got a maltipoo instead, my vet said she is a wonderful dog and very layed back and not so hyper as the poodle as mixed breeds make wonderful pets and usually dont have as many health problems as the purebreed dogs. So enjoy your maltipoo I payed $550.00 Canadian for mine but she was worth every penny, dogs here are very expensive, mutts and purebreed, a minature poodle is $1,000.00 so I guess I got off with half price.

bubbatd

I feel you pay for careful breeding,( all tested ), great socialization, loving care , good health care etc.... for these, I don't find $500 too high. It keeps away the run-of-the-mills who plan to pay $50 to $100. As long as they didn't advertise them as a rare " breed", enjoy you great mutt !

panzer426

they are NOT a purebred, no such thing as a purebred malit poo..as was said earlier they are just a mixed breed, not a breed. I am sorry you paid $200 for him, but glad he has a good home. as for posting pictures...go to www.photobucket.com and set up an account. then after you submit photos to your account (a free account) you can post pictures here. larger photos without having to change your avatar each time.
take your dog to the vet if you have not already. if he has not yet had his shots (ask the breeder/puppy mill/back yard breeder for proof of shots) get them done right away or you could very easily lose him to some diseases wich cannot be cured.
I agree with the others, just call him a mix and say he is whatever with whatever. by the way, which dog in your avatar is supposed to be a malti poo? the black and tan looks like a german shepherd mix, the tan one looks like...lab mix? its a tiny pic so I might be proven wrong when you post a larger one but I dont see poodle, deffinetly dont see maltese.

Saje

Island dweller
Madaline said:
I got a maltipoo a couple of months ago, she is the most wonderful dog I have every had. I already have a 12 year old minature poodle and was planning on getting another one but was unable to find one, and talked to a breeder and she said there was not alot around right now as they were having alot of trouble with toys and minis with leg problems. So I decided against getting one and got a maltipoo instead, my vet said she is a wonderful dog and very layed back and not so hyper as the poodle as mixed breeds make wonderful pets and usually dont have as many health problems as the purebreed dogs. So enjoy your maltipoo I payed $550.00 Canadian for mine but she was worth every penny, dogs here are very expensive, mutts and purebreed, a minature poodle is $1,000.00 so I guess I got off with half price.
My Canadian mutts only cost between $40-$120.

panzer426

my mixed breed was $18. my purebred was over a grand but not for a pet quality, he has working wuality temperament. so I paid for that quality. if I had wanted a purebred pet I could have paid $500 or less.

Madaline

Mutts are getting expensive

Well I dont know about down in the states but here in BC Canada, mutts as you so like to call them, we refer to them as Hybrid dogs are going for a pretty penny, they seem to be the thing to have right now that is why they can sell them for the amount they do, Designer dogs, mostly crossed with poodles. I wasnt going to get one as I said before, I wanted a purebreed poodle, but none were available so I got my little maltipoo, she is fabulous, so easy and cute as a button. They can charge the amount they do as they are in such high demand as they seem to be free from all the problems that purebreed dogs are having lately, I dont think you can get a small dog for under $300.00 here, mostly they range from $400. to $1,000. You can still get some large mutts for real cheap as they are not in so high demand as the little dogs.

Members online

No members online now.