red nose pitbull puppy housebreaking

Barb04

Super Moderator
My stepson & girlfriend will be getting a red nose pitbull puppy (15 weeks old) and live in an apartment. This is their first dog. Can anyone give me ideas on crate training. I do feel they need to come home during lunch to walk and feed the puppy; am I correct?

Also, has anyone had any experience with a red nose pitbull? My husband feels they should definitely bring it to training classes and heavy socialization. I love my pitbull mix and want to make sure they do everything right to raise a good dog. Thanks

It sounds like you're on the right track, especially about the socialization and training. They're also going to have to be very responsible about making sure the dog has enough exercise to grow and develop properly. That's almost as important as proper nutrition, especially for a heavily muscled dog like a Pit.

They may or may not need to use crate training. Many people swear by it, and I can see that it's probably almost a necessity for some dogs, but I've never used a crate with any of my dogs. I'm a bit claustrophobic myself, so that probably has something to do with it too. :p

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks so much for the reply. I love animals so much and want to make sure the pup gets everything he needs in life to become a well socialized pet.

Barb04

Super Moderator
The pup is arriving this Saturday. I will post a picture soon. Do you have a picture of your red/red nose posted?

bogolove

I crate trained my dog and he loves his crate now. I leave him in there at night, but he stays in the back yard during the day. But when he was first a puppy I kept him in there while I was at work. He didn't like it at first, but once he realized crying was not what was going to get him out, then he grew accustomed to it. But I always make it positive even to this day. I give him a treat and a toy everytime he goes in there. He goes in there on his own at night now and I give him a treat. It was hard at first, but to me well worth it. It took him a while to grasp the not peeing in it, but he caught on. He thinks of it as his safety area, he goes in there when I vacuum or when he is super tired and does not want to be bothered. I bought a big crate and sectioned it off until he was big and then I just completely removed the sectioning thing.

I can't wait to see pics of the puppy. Do you know if it is male or female?

darkchild16

We are Home.
not yet my dad hasnt taken pictures and i forgot when i went to see her last time(shes in tallahassee and im in clerwater 5 hrs away):'( but im going up this weekend and if my dad isnt working ill get pics of her. is urs a girl or boy.
breeze

Barb04

Super Moderator
My stepson's pup is a boy. He's arriving this Saturday. I will post a picture as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice on the crate. Since he lives in a condo he's renting, hopefully the crate will help with preventing too much damage to any property he doesn't own. I've had my share of furniture being chewed on by my own dogs as they grew up.

Members online

No members online now.