toxic plants

WestyWife

Most dogs are pretty smart about what they can eat and what they can't. Maybe it's instinct. It probably isn't necessary remove these plants unless the dog takes an interest in them. A watchful eye is probably enough.

This is a helpful post. Dogs can have kidney failure if digest large amount of grapes or raisins. Toxic plants should be keep away from dogs to avoid them being poisoned.

Hi josephine,

If we really do love our dogs we should be cautious in everything, especially of what they eat. With this information about toxic plants a big help for us dog owners so that we can prevent our dogs to eat those plants.

Thanks a lot Josephine.

Amanda885

definitely good and useful info on here...can't always stop your mischievous pets from eating something that may not be good....but it' good to know what toxic around the house

good info! thanks for posting it!

I think it’s a great tip and I really like this stuff its time saver.It’s a great tip. I am experiencing it in my daily work. Thanks for such valuable post.

Last edited by a moderator:

battu1se

helpful post

thanks for this post its a very workful and helpful post

I'm guessing "sticky" is the place where you catch spammers like me. Kinda like flypaper, only 99% of savvy internet users prefer flies to spam.

Or is that they compare flies to spam?

Oh . . . OH . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rachelstevens

I have always heard chocolate is toxic to dogs and should never be fed or the left, where they can get. Also ethylene Antifreeze is extremely toxic to dogs. It has a sweet taste love will find if left laying around or lick up off soil if spilled from a car. I lost a dog once because a neighbor left some antifreeze sitting in an old pump.

R

robertspears

Thanks for this information. I love gardening and I am surprised by the amount of poisonous plants that I have - I have to keep an eye on the little Bella. All you seem interested in chewing the grass is - I hope it stays that way or the garden will have to be changed!

petsnnature

Animal Nutritionist
You shouldn't worry too much about toxic plants, because plants are natural thing, and dogs have a very highly developed sense of smell. Toxic plants usually have unpleasant smell to dogs and they won't eat then (at least not enough to get poisoned). Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but in most cases dogs don't get poisoned so easy by toxic plants.
Man made toxins are however far more dangerous because they don't exist in the nature, and evolution didn't have time to develop mechanisms to detect them.
There are hoaxes all over the Internet about toxicity of some plants as well. Garlic is just one of examples. The hoax about garlic toxicity is based on a Japanese study done on 8 dogs. 4 dogs were treated with garlic extract, while 4 other dogs were treated with water. Dogs treated with garlic extract were given equivalent of 5 grams of garlic per 1 kilogram of body weight every day, directly into stomach, with a tube. To translate this to more acceptable measuring system, we could say that 20 lb dogs were ingesting 30 average garlic cloves every day.
After 10 days of the study, blood test of dogs treated with garlic showed light decrease in the number of red blood cells, but there were no visible symptoms of anemia.
Now, who in the world would feed their 20 lb dog with 30 garlic cloves every day? I doubt any dog would even want to eat that. That's why scientist had to use a tube to give garlic extract to dogs directly in the stomach, avoiding sensory organs in their mouth. Imagine yourself eating the same amount of garlic every day. For a 150 lb person that would be 225 garlic cloves every day.
This amount of garlic is, of course, toxic for humans. But when we say garlic, everyone will tell you it's healthy. That's because the amount of garlic we eat is small comparing to our body weight. The same thing applies to dogs. If given in small amount, garlic promotes healthy immune system.

There are many things that are toxic depending on the amount taken. For example, we all know that Vitamin A is necessary! There is no life without it. But if taken in higher dose it becomes very toxic. The same thing with Vitamin D, Selenium, and many more other nutrients.

el_pic

Technocat
Toxic Mushrooms

Does anyone know what causes toxic mushrooms to grow in your backyard ?

Other than search and removal any other ideas ?

Members online

No members online now.