Training my dog not to bark

Gizmo2

Hi guys! I recently moved into an apartment with my dog. We are having issues with him barking when I step out of the apartment. I never had this issue before when I lived in my house but am guessing it is because he is not used to the new place.. Unfortunately we cannot have him barking in an apartment thus we don't want to upset our neighbors.. I have tried the vibration collar.. Sat outside for ten minutes and he seems to have no response to it... Should I move on with a shock collar? I feel bad doing it this way but am running out of options!! Someone help us !! :)

krissy

Doesn't sound like a barking problem. Sounds like a separation anxiety problem. New anxiety is not uncommon when a move is made. They don't really understand at first what is happening. I'd work on alone training to remind him that you are going to come home.

Maxy24

Do you know how long he barks for? If it's only a few minutes it might be easy to just, step outside a lot during the day for a few minutes until he stops thinking it's a big deal. Obviously if he goes on and on that won't work.

What if you give him a food stuffed toy a minute before you leave, is that enough to hold his attention?

Doberluv

He's anxious, worried, nervous, insecure about a new place, new situation and when you go away, it's really awful. His vital signs are probably at a peak. So, a shock or vibration collar or anything that would add to his already stressed feeling is NOT the way to go. I'd sooner recommend de-barking him if it comes to that. But try something like this first. Make sure he's getting enough attention, mental and physical stimulation.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=4297630A0D9001A2699B4297630A0D9001A2699B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.