Lubbock, TX - Police stop dog fight by shooting one of them

This link has video of the shooting. If you can watch it without getting sick, you should. The reason I say this is because it contrasts sharply with the statements made in the article before the video was released.

Even if you don't watch the video, there is a poll. Please, if you agree that the shooting was unjustified, vote NO in the poll.

Video and poll here: http://www.wafb.com/story/19585390/...f-officer-shooting-killing-dog?=#WNPoll122806

---------

The original article. Source

Lubbock police shoot, kill pit bull in United parking lot

Posted: Sep 09, 2012 6:44 PM CDT
Updated: Sep 09, 2012 8:31 PM CDT
By Michael B. Duff - email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -
Lubbock police shot and killed a pit bull in the United Supermarket parking lot on Saturday night, after responding to a complaint from the store manager.

Eddie Owens, Director of Communications for United Supermarkets, tells us that two pit bulls wandered inside the store at 5001 Marsha Sharp Fwy around 8 p.m. Saturday night.

"It's my understanding that two dogs - according to my information were both pit bulls - they wandered into our store on Marsha Sharp. Staff got them outside without problem but once outside they began to fight. Police officers were called and they tried to separate the dogs unsuccessfully and they shot one of them for the safety of all those in the area," Owens said.

The police report says "An aggressive pit bull was attacking another dog in the parking lot of United Supermarkets. The dog placed myself and others in danger of serious bodily injury. I fired one round into the dog with my LPD issued pistol. The dog was deceased. Animal Control responded to the scene and took custody of both dogs."

We contacted Lubbock police about this incident on Sunday, but the desk sergeant had no information, and we are still waiting to hear from their Public Information Officer.

We will update this story as more details become available.

Copyright 2012 KCBD. All rights reserved.

1. The dogs wandered into the store together. Were shooed out with no problem. Both pit bulls according to the piece. They were probably friends.
2. Which explains why it doesn't look like a real fight. The officer kicks upper dog and he immediately lets go. A half second before he gets shot. Compare this to the statement in the story that the cops tried "unsuccessfully" to separate the dogs and this just had to shoot the one that looked like the aggressor.
3. "People in danger!" Like the people standing around and casually watching. They didn't seem to see any danger until a gun-toting cop tells them to back away.
4. Officer says "dog was deceased" in the article, but he was clearly left to linger and die on the pavement.
5. When the 2nd dog walks up to sniff the dying one, he is casually kicked twice.
6. Neither dog shows any aggression towards people. Dying dog is wagging his tail. Live dog is submissive and anxious.

I lived in Lubbock county for 3 years. This callous behavior from both cop and observers makes me sick. Had it been a bulldogger on the scene, that fight would have been stopped without death. Clearly neither dog's heart was in it. Grrrr.

crazedACD

Wow...I definitely agree moving to shoot the dog was completely unnecessary. I can't tell if those dogs are actually fighting..if people had to call the police to get them apart, I guess so. I don't think an officer should be responding to such situations without a catch pole or something. Ridiculous loss of life.

Xandra

Can't stand people who get so freaking excited over nothing, and I can't stand people who push their "Authority Figure" status around. He had just arrived on scene. There wasn't any violent shaking going on, and the dogs were of equal sizes (and both looked like bullies). The dog released when he kicked it. I do think he was probably right in saying it was dead when he shot it (or at least lights out) but if that wasn't a clear example of someone who wanted to feel important vs someone using common sesne...

He should be prosecuted -- on more than one count, and made an example.

It's way past time that having authority started to mean bearing the responsibility for one's actions rather than it meaning you get a free pass.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
That was terrible. I voted on the second, the first didn't have a poll. What a sick video. Very very terrible.

That was awful. I saw no reason at all to shoot the dog. I mean he let go and started to back off when the officer kicked him. Poor dog and even so if they shot him they shouldn't have left him like that half alive on the pavement... the least they could've done was end the poor guys suffering

Miakoda

I cannot bring myself to even watch the video. I'm beyond sick and disgusted with people doing this. I understand the need to fill empty spots in police departments, but maybe a little psychological examination would do the departments, and the PEOPLE, some good.

Members online

No members online now.