"Is she a rescue?"

I think it's because people- even sometimes including "dog people" who should know better, are conditioned to believe that dogs must be bombproof to have the right to leave the house. It's not really fair, because how else can you work with a dog who has issues than to get it out and work with it? But- people believe that if you dare take a dog out of your front door and it doesn't love people or other dogs, you are a bad person, ESPECIALLY if your dog was from a breeder. Even in competition, I have heard people rant about "the super reactive dog" (who just barked two or three times at a passing crowd and was totally under control) and how "she shouldn't be taking that dog out in public" and how "she probably got it from so and so who ALWAYS breeds bad temperaments". I didn't know that lady with the reactive dog, I don't know who she got it from or what it's backstory is, so I didn't pass judgement. Its probably just a dog who is a little noisy in high-stress situations. That dog also went on to get first place in its agility class, and was a very cool happy dog.

Why is it, that we expect dogs to be totally subservient? They are their own beings... have their own way of looking at situations, and don't understand the world from birth. It is our job to teach them how to handle situations, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a dog who never fully handles a specific situation either. It's like, getting mad at a kid with autism because it doesn't act the same way a "normal" kid does. Dogs are not robots, and they think for themselves! We have to accept that our world is a stressful place and that not all dogs will handle it well.
ABSOLUTELY! We hold our dogs to standards of behavior there is no way in hell we could ever meet ourselves.

I was mortified the first time I took Tallulah to a weight pull. She was so excited. She screamed, she wailed, she made all sorts of unearthly noises, she stood on her back legs and threw back her head and made sounds that would have made the Ban Sidhe envious.

I could have gone through the floor.

A guy from one of the name weight pull APBT kennels came over and congratulated me and told me Tallulah was exactly what the old school people wanted to see, that all the noise told him she was alert, curious and had no fear of anything, lol. And here I'd thought I just had a rude, crazy little dog, lol! Taught me something right there -- that what's expected behavior can change according to breed and venue.

She behaves much differently out in "normal" public, although if we stop for very long on one of her walks she'll wail at me to get going again :eek:

yoko

Dogs are not robots, and they think for themselves! We have to accept that our world is a stressful place and that not all dogs will handle it well.
This. I said this to so many people back when I worked for Guardian. People would call mad because their motion detector would go off every day. The second you told them that even their 'smallest dog in the world' standing on a couch or chair could set it off they'd go crazy. Apparently when they aren't home their dogs never move in the crate or jump on a couch. There aren't pet friendly alarms. The alarm can't tell how much your dog weighs. If they say it won't pick up a dog under 15 lbs they are lying. All they do is install it slightly higher but the second the dog jumps on a chair/couch/table or jumps up to look out a window it will pick them up.

Back on topic though. I don't know if I would count Lady as a rescue. She came from one of my friends back in middle school. Her older brother would get drunk and beat the crap out of her so my friend snuck her over one day. She was terrified of people. I could take her out but she didn't like people. She would let you pet her but she would cower with her head down the whole time if she didn't know you. People always asked if she was a rescue. Even if I said yes and that people made her nervous people would constantly try to force themselves on her :(

Yoshi on the other hand is a stereotypical rescue spokesdog. She loves everyone. Men, women and children. The only thing is she is kind of stupid when it comes to other dogs. I never had her around other dogs when she was growing up. She's friendly with them but absolutely cannot tell when a dog wants to play and so usually ignores them to be with people more.

Sometimes I wish Yoshi didn't love people as much lol.

You know, I can't really ever think of a time when I was countered with the question "Is s/he a rescue?" other than people asking if they're from a rescue or a breeder.

I HAVE gotten the "Oh dogs love me." largely in regard to my Dachshund, who most certainly does NOT love you. The last time a really forceful woman insisted all dogs love her I pointed at my face scar and said "He DOES love me, and he bit me in the face." Probably not the best recourse, but man how do you get the point across that the dog avoiding you does not want to be touched? I've had people reaching to pet him after I say "NO, he is NOT friendly" and stood in front of him. They also need to teach how to properly pet a strangers dog, as so many go in with their hand flying above the head and that comes off a threatening.

He's not even NOT not friendly, but we've worked through a lot of issues and he's now at a point where he's uninterested in people rather than terrified of them, and I'm perfectly OK with him not wanting to be pet. I don't like strangers to touch me.
When I was growing up, they use to have commercials on tv stating that you should never approach a stray dog [I don't have tv now, so no clue if anything like that airs now] and that you shouldn't move if the dog approaches you. I wish they still had commercials like that, as well as ones that state not to pet anyone elses dogs without permission and respect someone telling you no.

I feel a lot of our society is putting expectations on the dogs that are not practical. This is a little different, but my mom says a dog should know better when it's a child. Really? How so? She believes a child should be able to do whatever they want to a dog and the dog should know not to bite that child, even if they are hurting them. To me, a dog is a dog...they think like a dog. Instead of expecting the dog to be a human, why not turn it around and start teaching humans that they are the humans? And that we need to respect them, and this includes not walking up to someone elses dog and just expecting it's your right to handle the dog.

yoko

When I was growing up, they use to have commercials on tv stating that you should never approach a stray dog [I don't have tv now, so no clue if anything like that airs now] and that you shouldn't move if the dog approaches you. I wish they still had commercials like that, as well as ones that state not to pet anyone elses dogs without permission and respect someone telling you no.
I know they have a lot about giving money to rescues but I haven't seen or remember seeing any about not approaching stray dogs.

They do need these though. I hate taking Yoshi to pet stores and having to deal with parents thinking it's a makeshift free petting zoo for their kids.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
LOL my rescue is the super social one who adores people in general. My papered, breeder-purchased dog is the friendly but disinterested one.

I think it's because people- even sometimes including "dog people" who should know better, are conditioned to believe that dogs must be bombproof to have the right to leave the house. It's not really fair, because how else can you work with a dog who has issues than to get it out and work with it? But- people believe that if you dare take a dog out of your front door and it doesn't love people or other dogs, you are a bad person, ESPECIALLY if your dog was from a breeder. Even in competition, I have heard people rant about "the super reactive dog" (who just barked two or three times at a passing crowd and was totally under control) and how "she shouldn't be taking that dog out in public" and how "she probably got it from so and so who ALWAYS breeds bad temperaments". I didn't know that lady with the reactive dog, I don't know who she got it from or what it's backstory is, so I didn't pass judgement. Its probably just a dog who is a little noisy in high-stress situations. That dog also went on to get first place in its agility class, and was a very cool happy dog.

Why is it, that we expect dogs to be totally subservient? They are their own beings... have their own way of looking at situations, and don't understand the world from birth. It is our job to teach them how to handle situations, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a dog who never fully handles a specific situation either. It's like, getting mad at a kid with autism because it doesn't act the same way a "normal" kid does. Dogs are not robots, and they think for themselves! We have to accept that our world is a stressful place and that not all dogs will handle it well.
I would like this one million times if I could.

I feel a lot of our society is putting expectations on the dogs that are not practical. This is a little different, but my mom says a dog should know better when it's a child. Really? How so? She believes a child should be able to do whatever they want to a dog and the dog should know not to bite that child, even if they are hurting them. To me, a dog is a dog...they think like a dog. Instead of expecting the dog to be a human, why not turn it around and start teaching humans that they are the humans? And that we need to respect them, and this includes not walking up to someone elses dog and just expecting it's your right to handle the dog.
Man, those would be great commercials because 99% of the issues I've had involved ADULTS. It's always been a grown adult insisting my dog WILL love them because ALL dogs love them. I'm glad I'm not deluded enough to think all dogs love me because I work at a shelter and in some scenarios that would be really asking for trouble. There was one dog that absolutely did not love me, even though he had other people he was quite fond of. I eventually won him over, but if I went at him believing ALL dogs loved me I probably would have gotten a bite at the worst, or scared him even worse.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Ohh yes...whenever I help people with muzzles I get the above. Although most of the time the dog is either mouthing the kids or guests, or barking.

Am I the only one that has a really hard time selling basket muzzles? Everyone goes for the soft muzzles...I try really hard to explain that those are more for short term, grooming or medical procedures...not for long term. And then they go "oh but those look so cruel!" towards the basket muzzles. Umm...pretty sure the dog would rather wear a nice open air basket that they can drink and pant with. And then they point out on the soft muzzle package it says 'allows panting and drinking'..pfft, I don't think so. Not properly anyways.
99% of the time people come in looking for the nylon ones, but I've never had a problem getting them to choose a basket instead. Once I point out that the baskets are easier to pant/drink with, and are better for frequent or long-term use... that's usually enough to get them to purchase one.
I don't get why people are so concerned with how it looks. A muzzle is a muzzle is a muzzle!

I'll just be the millionth person to like this.

Members online