My daughters a child abuser!! Sigh!

LauraLeigh

She was actually confronted by a woman when she stopped at the grocery store by a lady about my age who accused her of "hitting" or "slapping" Kolby because there's no other way that injury could have happened!!!

Try he was stung just under the eyelid by a hornet today my daughter already feels bad enough about that... I just wish her husband had been with her I bet this lady wouldn't have acted that way then!!! Jenn was horrified, upset to tears as she was already worried and embarrassed...

People are so rude, judgmental and intrusive....

Even if he hadn't been stung, Toddlers are notorious for tripping etc...

Oh here is Kolby :-(

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
That's terrible :( People are ridiculous. I bruise really, really easily due to my meds, and I'm always worried someone will think that I'm abused when I have a big bruise on a noticeable spot.

I hope Kolby feels better- poor boy! I was stung for the FIRST time while in Nicaragua... I was stung TWICE that week. I couldn't imagine how much it would hurt being stung on my eyelid!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
What a terrible place to be stung and on such a lovely baby too. Boo hiss to the woman and her big mouth. Gentle air hugs for baby and Mom.

Hyia got stung when she was just a little older, I held her up to ring the bell that ung on the porch not knowing that a paper wasp was inside. It stung her on her itty bitty finger and I felt awful. I am the one that held her up there. It happens...As it gets hotter everyone needs to be careful because it sure makes them testy. Victor almost died when he ran through a field of clover that was in bloom. A mistake I never made again. Now I am his seeing bee eye person ...does that make sense?

Miakoda

My first impression is insect bite/sting.

And yes, people need to mind their own business.

momto8

My daughter got hurt in school, she went down the slide with another girl and at the bottom the hit each other, she fell and hit her face on the corner of the slide, it was bad. It cut her open on the corner of her eye and she swelled from her nose almost around to her ear and it was all black and purple :( We got some nasty comments when we went out and about, ppl need to understand that kids are kids and they can get injured without being abused by their parents.

I hope your daughter is feeling better about everything this evening and that Kolby is better soon!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Between 2-3 Syd perpetually had a black eye, stitches, or was healing after stitches. I was terrified to take her out in public. Her pediatrician told me that she was normal, albeit a terrible combo of daring and clumsy. But, we still got comments.

I always wondered if those people had kids, and if they did, how incredibly dull they must be.

Tahla9999

I'm just happy people are actually looking out for the kids. Yeah, its embarrassing, but I rather people be intrusive when they suspect something might not be right, than ignore their suspicions.

Grab

But if someone were abusing their child behind closed doors..would a person making comments to them about a child with a bruise when out in public stop them? Likely not. All that serves to do is make parents not abusing their kids feel horrid. I know when Clive has bruises (which is often...why does he always bump his head?!) I'm always worried that someone will think we're bopping him. If it's a teacher/daycare worker/etc who sees the child routinely and sees some sort of pattern of injuries, that's one thing...to see a child on one occasion in a store is entirely another.

LauraLeigh

I'm just happy people are actually looking out for the kids. Yeah, its embarrassing, but I rather people be intrusive when they suspect something might not be right, than ignore their suspicions.

Looking out for kids is fine, making nasty comments to a random stranger without any clue is NOT...

If this kids your neighbor, or a child you are familiar with and you have reason to suspect something's off that's different...

Kolby's feeling better now and Jenn's decided to not let that stuff get to her... Every time she's in town without Matt she gets comments... I remember how that felt! In Jenn's case she's not even that young but she looks it...

ACooper

Uh ya, making comments to the person you 'think' is abusing is going to accomplish ZIP......well, it might make them mad so they go home and hit some more maybe? :dunno: Yes to calling authorities to investigate suspected abuse, NO to approaching random people and making accusations with zero facts :rolleyes:

Let me say that woman is a moron......that looks nothing at all like a hit, slap or even a fall. I mean come on, there would at least be some shading of green or blue with swelling like that.

FWIW, whenever I'm out and about and see kids with bruises and lumps, the first thought into my head is falling. Probably because I was the oldest of 5 kids, have raised 5 kids, and been around countless kids........I know how often they get bumped and scraped through sheer accident, LOL

And ouch! to that sting spot! I was stung on the lip once and I thought that was horrible..........that close to the eye? :eek: I hope he feels better real soon!

yoko

I actually don't mind if someone looks and it does look like the kid has been hit saying something to someone to have it checked out.

But if you look at that it doesn't even look like a hit. It's swollen but there isn't any bruising.

Tahla9999

I'm not agreeing with how she did it, but even if she decided to call the authorities about it, it still would have been a hassle for the mother. Most people who saw the toddler wouldn't have gave it a second thought, even children with actual bruises because it is assume that they got hurt on accident since children will be children. The women jumped into conclusions, yes, but she was just looking out for the child by throwing attention to the mother. Since she did it in a public place, she made all eyes turn to the mother and child and see for themselves what she believe happen. Doing that, other people are more likely to become involve and the mother would have to offer a good explanation for that child's injuries. Not the best way, no. Good intentions, yes.

To be honest, if I saw the child, I would have had hard time telling where the injury came from. But I'm very dark skin, and our bruises don't discolor. Its harder to tell if I have a bruise. I was really surprise when a white friend of mine would get bruises and it would appear purple! Was the women who confronted your daugther black by any chance?

For years, one of my nephews had a birthmark under one of his eyes that looked EXACTLY like a big fat black eye. It went away eventually, but my poor SIL used to get the stink eye all the time when he was wee.

Doberluv

That's awful! It is pretty apparent that is caused by an insect. It is not the same looking at all as a bruise from smacking or even running into a table or something. That's unbelievable!

When my daughter was a baby, she had a hemangioma on her cheek...a little collection of tiny capillaries near the surface of the skin. Along with that was an ever-so-slight bluish coloration and some paleness to the skin in between the bluish areas. When out and about, there were people who would ask, "what happened to her?" And they'd look at me and then at her in a weird way. It made me so mad. Looking closely, you could see the blood vessels like a little road map. What dummies they were! I was glad when that thing finally dissipated and didn't show up anymore.

I can't believe the gall of some people. It's one thing to report abuse when you are darn sure what's going on. But to assume some swelling or a bruise couldn't possibly be caused by something other than abuse is illogical, stupid and insulting.

Members online

No members online now.