Crate training help, please

Chrissy12

Hi there,

My puppy is finaly here, we brought him home Saturday. He is a cutie and took to us well, I would say, and things are generally going well with potty training - no poop accidents in the house so far, (but three pees on Saturday...before we figured things out; only once yeasterday an none today - so far... -none in the crate - yay!) ) so, I think with that part is on the right track.

BUT - I don't know what to do to get him to sleep in his crate. He goes in on his own - well, with the help of "crate-only' freezed liver treats - but if I close the gate he starts panting and barking.
It's a wire crate so he can see us, and he is exausted, his head keeps looling but he won't settle. There are toys and treats in the crate - all is Ok if the gate is open but if I close it, the "fun" starts....

He sleeps OK outside the crate but ....that's not the point. Moreso, if he's outside the crate,sleeping, and I move around, he immediately jumps up and follows me so I don't think he gets a good rest like that.

So, what shoulod I try? Any ideas, please?

PS - I will post pics, today, I promise!

Maura

At night, put the crate next to your bed. Take the puppy out for a good rollick to tire him. Put him in the crate, close door, turn out light and get in bed. Don't put him in the crate until you are getting in bed. He'll soon quiet and go to sleep. During the day, put the crate wherever you are. Feed him in there. Let him find toys in there. Don't lock him in unless you have reason. Whenever you take him out for a potty break, after he goes treat immediately, then jog around the yard with him to make sure he's finished, and to teach him that play begins after potty. His waking up and following you around is normal. He's still a baby and doesn't want to be left alone.

Chrissy12

Thanks, I'm doing all that but 'Im still worried.

I know it's really only been 2 days and I shouldn't expect too much too soon but it breaks my heart to hear him crying. I had to wait by the crate about 3-4 minutes for him to barely stop barking for 5 seconds so I could get him out....

I know I should not let him out while he's screaming bloody murder.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Most dogs cry for at least a week or two while they get used to the crate. They soon come to learn that good things happen to them when they are in their crate, and that their crate is their personal refuge from everything else in the world. Right now, the crate is new, so your puppy hasn't made either of those connections yet.

I know the crying is heartbreaking sometimes, but you have to ignore. Throw treats in the crate when he is quiet. Maura gave some great advice too. The key is to stick through the first little while, -consistently-, and make the crate the best thing in the world for your dog in any way you can.

It pays off, believe me. My dog WAILED for the first two weeks when crated (my poor housemates) but now rushes to his crate no problem when he's asked, sits in there quietly, and will often opt to use it with the door open when he's sleeping or chewing on a bully stick. Even though he's usually out when I'm home now, having a crate trained dog is useful for MANY reasons.

D

drdamian

Its really hard when you hear the puppy crying but the best thing to do is to ignore it...your puppy will soon get used to the crate don't worry! :)

I know its a lot of work to do it this way but I learned in my one Vet Tech class that you are to put the puppy in the crate several times throughout the day to get them used to it and wait for any silent moments..as soon as the puppy gets quite reward them by letting them out. You could also try putting a fun time consuming toy in with your puppy like a kong. I fortunately do not have that problem with my 2 puppies who are crate trained, but I have in the past so I feel for you!

Members online

No members online now.