need to put some weight on one slimline crestie

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
Gypsy is SKINNY, now this breeds suppost to be slim, but gypsy is a little too slim for my liking...
i want to add a little bulk to her...

i free feed my dogs, for the chis its safer, i will NOT change this pattern, all my other dogs are at healthy weights and great condition.
the problem is gypsy is a slow eater. the first week i tried putting her in the crate alone and putting food down for 5 mins then removing it...nope no interest. she likes the food, shes just not realy a big eater.

all the dogs are on grammies by Merrick and loving it, im not willing to change diets as everyoens eating (including my pickiest chi) and doing great on this food.
im just wondering if theres something i can add to gypsies moist meal in the evening to give her some of the extra calories she needs to start putting some weight on.

my vet suggested wet dog food which she likes but it upsets her tummy...so thats out.
A friend suggested giving her scrambled egg...

any ideas on an extra meal or 2 i can give her during the day that wont upset her stomach and will help her build up some mass.

shes negative for worms and is healthy otherwise, the vet would like to see another 1/2-1lb on her...id prefer a full 1lb or so. shes only 5 1/4 lbs. the vet wants her at 5 3/4-6 1/4 lbs, id like to see her at 6 - 61/2 based on what ive been told she should weigh and how the breed is built.

any suggestions is great. she LOVES chicken, Beef and Pasta!

Sush

I second the Nutir-Cal suggestion, it's great in these types of situations...it's actually FOR these types of situations :)

Woops, was posting at the same time...seems you've already tried that route.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
mabe if i make a gravy out of it and give it to her with pasta...hmm, she might eat it then...*plots and ponders*

Sush

If regular wet dog food upsets her tummy, I'm not sure pasta, eggs, or cheese would bring a better result. I would NOT give your dog milk, as suggested, they don't have the right enzymes to digest it.

Also, have you ever heard of the supplement...Missing Link?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i actually have heard of missing link, i was also thinking that might be the way to go.

Pasta has had no effect on her tummy, neither has cheese, (i know better than to give milk) im thinking its the actual gravy in the canned food that might be too rich.

Romy

Taxiderpy
What about those sausage looking rolls of moist food? Several different companies make them, they say they are good for training treats or to be mixed with kibble. I've seen them at our local feed store which means some of the better holistic companies must make them, as those are the only brands that place will carry.

You can add mayonnaise to her food. Just a small amount.

Or try this stuff
Dyne I have used this on my dogs for putting weight on. You could also mix up a batch of Satin Balls which I have also used to put some weight on dogs.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
you know, i heard about them when i was looking into danes and it never occured to me i could use them with the cresties, boy do i feel dumb...
yup i know what im going to be doing tomorrow morning!

thanks guys!

Members online

No members online now.