Which dog food to switch too?

zoe08

Well I have been feeding Zoe Nutro Lamb & Rice small bites, as that is the best thing I can find in my area. But with them being affected by the dog food recall I would really like to switch. I have been wanting to for a while, but not sure where I am going to be able to get the food. I would really like to be able to buy it at a store, as I and especially Justin are not good at getting things done ahead of time and the dogs would probably be almost out of food, or in his case out of food before remembering to order more online.

Also Zoe is a 2 and 1/2 year old beagle and she is pretty active, and will be much more so during the summer. Will it matter which of the good brands I choose? I know the brands like eagle pack, canidae, etc are the good ones. I just want to know if one would be better for her specifically over another. She has not ever had any food allergies or anything.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I would start her out on Canidae and see how that does, just because it's such a good all-around food.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I feed Orijen and Timberwolf Organics to my dogs... they are the best foods that I've ever tried with my dogs.

Timberwolf Organics does ship, and when i order it I order 2-3 bags at a time (that way, I won't run out before I remember to reorder).

zoe08

Well the closest place to buy canidae is about 100 miles away.

The Natural Balance site says I can find it at a store in my town, I just have to find the store.

The Nature's Variety site also has a place in my town where I can buy it.

Which kind of formula should I use. Right now I feed lamb and rice, but I see the other foods all have different formulas. Does it really matter which I choose?

We will also be switching Justin's 2 huskies over to brand I get. Is there formulas better for large breed?

Last edited:

Maxy24

The only problem I had with Natural Balance is that is dried out my dog's coat and gave him dandruff other than that is was really good for his poop and energy but since it is so low in protein it can dry out there coats.

zoe08

I was editing my post before at the same time you posted this. I was trying to keep from double posting. would Nature's Variety be good?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Nature's Variety is a good food. Here are the ingredients to the lamb formula:

Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Barley, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Lamb Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Lamb Liver, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Freeze Dried Lamb, Freeze Dried Lamb Hearts, Freeze Dried Lamb Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Ground Lamb Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Sage, Clove, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 26.0%
Crude Fat (min) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.4%
Moisture (max) 10.0%
They have a variety of formulas, which is nice since you can rotate them. They also have a grain free kibble as well :D

zoe08

Well I think I may try that one for now. I will have to go find the store here this weekend. I guess it must be a small pet store or something, but I dont think it is too far from my house! Yay! lol

When you rotate the formulas do you have to do that gradually also or does it matter if you just start feeding them the same brand but say I switched from lamb to beef or chicken?

zoe08

I just found there are also places here that sell Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul foods sold in a few places here. Would that or the Nature's Variety be better? Also should we keep Justin's huskies on large breed formulas?

Chicken Soup Adult formula ingredient:
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I like Nature's Variety better than Chicken Soup.

When I rotate formulas, I usually take between 5-7 days to do so. I just start gradually switching when the bag runs low :)

Rosefern

I feed my dogs Canidae on a rotating schedule. One month All Life Stages, one month Lamb & Rice, one month Chicken & Rice.

I chose Canidae because of the fact that it is corn, wheat, and soybean free. Pepe has major issues with corn, and Flicka doesn't do soybean well.

The first five ingredients are (in All Life Stages): Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal

I feed on a rotating because it gives them a little variety, and it also provides additional nutrients.

-Rosefern

PS: Queen Lillian would also like to add that she gets Felidae. And that she wouldn't eat anything less then that. :lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.