There has to be something wrong--drooling

Ok, Faris has been drooling. It all seemed to start after he had his teeth cleaned around December. He came out of the kennel with his entire front chest sopping wet with drool. He never drools, but does gets foamy at the mouth when REALLY excited or stressed which is rare.

Then hubby began walking him on the road and he licked his paws a lot, drooled so we thought maybe it was the rock salt so now walk him in the field. But still, he drools.

Took him to the vet who examined his mouth, throat and said everything appeared fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? We are a bit worried. He seems sleepier than normal. He will sit in front of us and stare at us but his eyes are closed!! I've never seen anything like it. His mouth is wet a lot then his front gets wet. Hope someone has an idea please.

OH, he eats with no problem and enjoys going outside to play.

Last edited:

bubbatd

No clue ....but it doesn't sound right . I would say it was sore gums back in Dec. , but he should be over the cleaning by now .

Well, thanks for posting anyways. The vet even went to his books and looked online but could not find anything. Maybe I'll inspect his mouth again....just strange.

Jessiep

I kow this is sort of an old topic now, but I am catching up on my reading so I thought I would jump in here-

My cat suddenly started drooling excessively a few years ago, like puddles and puddles of drool. Being the nervous mom I am I brought her to the ER, worried she had gotten into something. They found nothing wrong and told me to call my vet if it didn't stop. The next morning she was still as bad so off to the vet we went- he spotted right away that a salivary gland under her tongue was infected. Antibiotics and a shot and she was good as new in a matter of hours.

I know that isn't the exact same scenario but the vet told me drooling is typically one of the following- a dental issue, an infected gland, a liver issue (which would require blood work to diagnose) or a poisoning issue. Since this is long term you can rule out the posioning. The dog is acting normal so that probably eliminates infection so I would say a liver panel should be run to be safe. There I some risk of liver damage when a dog is put under, no?

But like I said, I am a nervous mom...lol

How is the drooling, any change?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
a dog i worked with was drooling pool and didnt look very good at all. however i looked in his mouth and there was a tiny peice of sharp plastic between his very back teeth. after i took that out he was fine. he didnt look good because he was oviously in pain. the sharp piece of plastic was stuck in his gums

bubbatd

Same thing happened to one of mine years ago ...... a small stick was wedged sideways between the two back molars .

Members online

No members online now.