Can't take it anymore

Damon

I've been having a potty problem with my pup. I posted it in the puppy forum but no one saw it. You can reference it here:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34506

Today I am at my wits end. Here is what happened. He does his business on the other side of the house. I don't have a baby gate yet, so I fashioned a net across the doorway seperating the two sides of the house. I know I need to supervise him, but with kids, I figure I don't need to sit and watch the pup eat so I'll use the net for that time.

I tested it yesterday and he couldn't get out.. This morning, I let him out of his crate and say "go potty", in which he responded by going back in his crate. I gave him 5 minutes and tried again. Well, it finally worked on the 4th time. When he went to the door to go potty I praised him. He went pee and came back and I praised him again. Then he went to eat. After realizing I couldn't hear him for about 30 seconds, I went to find him. He had gotten on the otherside of the net, pee'd alot on the carpet and pooped in a bedroom. And this is only within about 5 minutes of going outside.

I don't know if this is normal, or I need to do something right now to stop it, but I can't stand it anymore. If anyone can help, please do...

moxiegrl

I would take him to the vet and see if he is medically ok...b/c I wouldnt thing "normally" that a dog would regress this much for no reason. An accident here and there yes, but not like that. Did something happen outside that scared him? Anything change?
Sorry I cant be of more help....

Doberluv

Moxie brings up some good points. I didn't realize until I read your other thread that he was 6 months old. After checking with the vet, you'll just have to go back to the beginning and supervise more etc.

Doberluv

Does she seem to be in any pain? If you put your ear on her side, can you hear bowel sounds?

I don't like to give medical advice really, when it could be something serious like stuffing blocking her intestines. I'd watch her, but dogs do get constipated from time to time. I've heard that canned pumpkin is good for when a dog has diarrhea. Why don't you p.m. Mordy. She might know better on something like this. I really don't know what I'd give her for that....maybe a little yogart....2 or 3 TBS. (?) If she seems in distress or pain, if her sides are hard or distended, take her to the vet. Or if you're in doubt.

Good luck.

Damon...do a search on top of the page for potty training. There are a lot of good threads on that. You may need to go back to the beginning, like a new puppy....supervise like crazy and don't let accidents happen. Don't punish...that makes it worse. Just keep at it. He doesn't know. It's not his fault. No, he isn't trying to get back at you. Dogs aren't able to think in that complex way like people. Be careful not to project human thinking onto dogs. But I would check with the vet just in case.

Herschel

Did he go to the door to pee because he was scared of you telling him to go out, or did he understand the command?

See a vet to rule out any medical problems, then start over with all of the puppy advice that has been posted on this forum.

Members online

No members online now.