Digging Holes

Zan

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop puppies from digging holes in the yard? I have 2 Shih Tzus almost 9 months old and I have discovered they are digging holes in the backyard and eating the grass.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Zan

Elly

When I had my lab pup she dug holes.This sounds terrible but I was told to put her poop in it and cover it or pour water in them.

I tried the poop and she would not go near them and suprisingly didnt dig any more:)

But I am sure there are other better ideas coming. .

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Fozzie does the same! For now, I watch him at all times anyway, so when he's digging I distract him with playing. I'm going to get a kids sandbox soon (a babypool filled with sand would also work) so I can put toys & treats in there to lure him into digging where it's appropriate. If your pups just enjoy digging, they shouldn't be totally banned from it if you can redirect them to an area that is set up for them to dig up.

Tinaweena

Our trainer gave us a really good idea to stop digging. It usually happens when they are bored and have nothing else to do. So she suggested we make a "toy tree" we have a huge tree in the backyard and she suggested tying toys to it so that he can play with them on there, jump at them make a few that will come off and basically occupy his mind while he's out there. Eventually digging will be a thing of the past and he may forget that he even did it before.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Dogs dig for a variety of reasons.

It's fun.
They are bored.
It's hot, and they uncover cool earth.
To den.
Bitches dig to make a place to whelp sometimes as well.

You have already gotten a lot of good advice....

Keep them busy.
Filling the holes with feces DOES WORK, but many times they will just dig elsewhere.

I learned a long time ago to fence where I don't mind dogs digging, and not to worry if/when they dig in their own areas.

:D

Elly

That is interesting . I never new that they dug to get to cooler earth when it is hot.

Doberluv

You could make a "sand box" and bury some really neat toys, (vary them) some stuffed with treats, some other treats and get them started. Then reward big time for digging there. When they dig where you don't want, re-direct them to the sandbox. Prevent them from digging in other areas. You'll have to supervise for a while so that they don't get self rewarded for digging in your lawn.

Members online