Yorkie or Chihuahua

sp0322

Thanks. I was just looking at the Rainbow Bridge forum and I was thinking about all the animals that live in shelters and don't have homes.. I think I want to rescue.. I mean I don't care if shes a mixed or doesn't have a perfect pedigree.. I think that I would rather save a dog than buy one for three times as much just because her parents are these great champions. I don't plan on breeding or showing.. I just want a dog.. And if I adopt from a shelter I think I might expand my search to really big dogs :) I have always loved big dogs I grew up with this greta rotty who died just two years ago :( and my cousins boxers are absolutly precious.. I wouldn't mind a big dog.. It would be hard to travel with but I don't care I just want a cute loving dog (who is female:))

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well youve now met one, we had 100% sucess, even my male who leg lifts still gets it on the pad wihtout problems.
vixie came home at 6 months old, shed had NO potty training, within 3 days shes been 100% reliable.
Dodger came home at 4 1/2 months old, hed had no potty training, that day he came home, used the pad and has been 100% reliable since. he even lifts his leg (and still hits the pad) i think the key to using a puppy pad is to give the pad defined boundries.

I am in NO way saying they shouldnt go outside or cant go outside, its simply more convinent for me and them, toy breeds are notoriously hard ot housebreak yet my pee pad trained chihuhauas have been 100% reliable from days within comming home. they DO go outside when the weathers ok, but pads give the option when theres 3 ft of snow on the ground and theres a blizzard gomming through that they dont HAVE to.
ive met MANY very-100% reliable pad and litterbox trained dogs. i go through my house with a blacklight once a month to make sure noones sneaking off (toy breeds are prone to do such things as sneak off and pee under a bed behind the couch ect, whether trained to pee outside or on a pad) and ive have vixie almost 3 years now, dodger almost 2 and have NOT yet once found any spots theyve missed the pad. (and belive me. im thorough)

just because they pee on a pee pad does NOT mean they dont go play outside, this conception that pee pad trained dogs never set foot outside is ridiculous. my guys get more outside time than most dogs ive known, the only difference is they have to be supervised 100% of the time when there outside because there small enough to tempt some of the larger birds of prey in this area, especially my 3lb dodger.

Some things to remember with chihuahuas:

they are simply put, NEEDY. they tend to bond very strongly with 1 person who they deem to be theres. this is usually the person that they spend the most time with, the one who feeds, plays, sleep with ect. they will go to other people if their particular person is busy, but they can and DO become very upset when that persons not around.

they are, VERY simply put...STUBBORN. they can "seem" hard to train, they are NOT stupid in any way, but there hard headed and can be difficult to train because they can and WILL find their way around the rules.

they tend to be very difficult to housebreak. i personally like pee pads, i find them convenient and have had great luck with them BUT that doesnt mean its any less work, you still have to be as persistent as you would going outside potty training.
I personally HAVENT crate trained any of our chis, however for a new chihuahua owner i 100% suggest you do crate train, when you cant watch that puppy like a hawk, it goes in its "house" youll find housebreaking using a crate is much easier than trying to do so without.
Whetever method you use to house train a chihuahua puppy, dont be suprised if your puppies still not 100% reliable at 9 months old. mine were great by 6 months (dodger sooner and had i have gotten them earlier they might have been reliable earlier) however its not uncommon to see usually very well trained chis still not housebroken at 8months of age.
(a crate, a blacklight and natures miracle are the best things to get to aide in housebreaking)
if you decide to go with puppy pads, get some kind of holder with a brightly coloured outline or a large plastic "box" (they make doggy sized litterboxes now that are perfect and machioro (the people that make the small animal cages ) make a product called "the kiosk" the large size is perfect size to hold a pee pad with 3 solid sides and an open front, this is what i use!) i personally thing the key to puppy pad training is to have a defined area for the pad so they know that is where they go to potty instead of just a pad thrown in random spots on the floor.
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/...cat=Yahoo Search Submit (SMX)&cm_ite=DDI Link

Chihuahuas have dominant personalities, anyone with a chihuhaua will tell you, doesnt matter what other sized pets they have in the house, their chihuahuas are 100% in charge!
this can be a problem in a home with other dogs who might not enjoy the chihuahuas dominant personality, and has an even worse outcome if your little 5 lb chihuahua decided it wants to show that 200 lb mastif whos in charge and the mastif decideds your chi will make a good snack.
Many chis do put themselves in some very dangerous situations with big strange dogs.

Chihuahuas are NOISY! quite simply they love to hear their own voices! this behaviour CAN be controled to an extent, vixie and dodger only bark if they see/hear/sense something they think i shoudl knwo about. ie: someone at the door.
Unfortunatly however they also think i need to know about the squirrel thats running round in the garden, or the raccoon in the trash at 3am, or that realy suspicious leaf dancing across the patio.
if you dont want a dog that likes to talk, the chihuahua is NOT a breed for you.
this is a generality and some chis will be very quiet, but for the most part, EXPECT a chihuahua that likes to hear its own voice.

Chihuahuas are burrowers. youve got fresh dried laundry and cant find your chihuahua, check the basket, still no? dig through the clothing...or under the blankets. this is NOT usually a problem, but definatly a trait many chis share and something to be aware of. my grandfathers 2b'er loved to burry herself UNDER the couch cusions...there were many times she was almost squished!

Chihuahuas NEED socialization and training. many people feel their dog is so small it doenst NEED to learn to walk on a leash, or how to be nice to people, or socilize well with other dogs, or sit, stay, come. these are as, if not MORE important to train to the sassy chihuahua who will try and take advantage of any trainign weaknesses you might have.

Chihuahuas are TINY. the chi standard calls or a dog between 2 and 6lbs, however even a 10lb dog is VERY small, they must be watched carefully around bigger dogs, children, and grabby grownups (adults can be the worst culprits) they are easily tripped over, kicked and stood on, and very easily injured. ive found a bell on the collar is a great warning device to keep track of them.

Chihuahuas can be posessive agressive. Socilization with people is a MUST, many feel the need, when heald in their owners arms or in a carrier to protect that person or carrier, this shoudl be greatly discouraged, growling and snapping is NOT cute.

Chihuahuas can walk, they enjoy walking, many dont like to wlak as far as a big dog, but they do like to walk...let them! this does not mean you cant buy a cute little bag and carry them round occasionally, but they need excersize just like any other breed...let them run in the mud and get dirty.

Chihuahuas can be VERY picky eaters. a good quality dry food is 100% important. there also prone to dental issues! regular cleaning at home is very important!

Chihuahuas nails grow QUICKLY, and most HATE their feet touched. grooming is important! get the puppy used to it YOUNG!

Health concerns.
as a breed an adult chi from a good breeder is usually a fairly healthy breed.

young chis are prone to hypoglycemia.

All chis are prone to whats called reverse sneezing, this is common and not a problem if done while excited or just after drinking ect, HOWEVER if they do that honking weezy sound in the middle of the night (it wakes them) go IMEDIATLY to the vet. the breed is also very prone to problems with their treacha. for this reason i personally would NEVER walk a chi via a collar, walk a chihuahua on a harness, a collar should be worn for id purposes only.
Chihuahuas are also prone to heart murmers and luxating patellas, make sure the parents are checked for these problems.

Chis are a fabulous breed for the right person:
there compact and easy travelers and so smart.
but there also stubborn and bossy.

if theres anything else youd like to know feel free to pm me, or im sure jesse wouldnt mind either, she also has 3 wonderfull chis! or simply ask on this thread. anything specific youd like to know go ahead.

Personally i know yorkies are a wonderfull breed, but ive never had one myself and never would im not real big into that real high terrier personality. chis have a little terrier personality in them but nothing as close to a yorkie.

I perosnally have 2 chis, both longhiared, dodger is 3lbs full grown, hes a blue fawn and a little slim/tall for the breed standard. hes got a good head and nice eyes and ears though.

Vixie is a Red female and shes 5.7lbs long haired, shes much closer to standard being short and stocky tought her ears arnt as big as they could be. she did very well in the ring when she wasnt rolling for belly rubs.

we also have Rosie whos a red sable longhiared chi and the biggest of vixies only litter, shes essentially a throwback, all the others in the litter are very close to standard..Rosie however looks little like her brothers or sisters, shes thick set but too long and tall, her muzzle is also too long.

you can see more pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/GemsLilTreasures/

hope that info helps you out a little.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
misticaleclips, while many dogs enjoy running round in the snow and dont seem to feel the cold, it can actually be VERY painfull, our cockerspaniel LOVES the snow, doesnt mean that when hes stood still his feet dont hurt to a pint where hell alternate lifting each leg to give it a break from the cold.
but then again its proven the salt and sand on the roads after snow is bad for the dogs feet, people still say "well my dog still likes walking so his feet must be fine"

i also dont think walking on hot asphalt is good for their feet either. it can burn and dry out their feet.

i personally use pawrub protectant year round.

Maxy24

I have now met one, good to know it can work :D How do you go about doing it, Do you have one pad or many? Is it in a litter box type thing or just on the floor?

Your right i should not have assumed the dog would not go outside. Do your dog's still go out in winter for play, it did sound like the op's dog would not go outside in winter, but I could be wrong.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
my guys will NOT go out if theres any snow on the ground, when the snow stops we generally clear the patio so they can go out again, but they HATE the snow (the first time dodger whent out in it he got all excited as i opend the door, he LOVES outside, he BOLTED right out onto the deck and no sooner did her get out there on slammed the breaks and back in he came, he cried for a good haf hour while we warmed up his feet lol, hes such a baby.

Vixie was a little more creative, the first time she saw snow i took her out. she climbed onto my foot and wouldnt move lol. since then she knows, that white stuff is cold i aint going out. but thats ok, being so littler thay can get plenty of excersize runnign crazy roudn the house lol.

with the pad we used the kiosk plastic thing with a single pad in, then proceded as you would outdoor housebreak a dog. everytime they displayed i need to go out behaviour, pick up straight to pad, praise when they go. repeat as nessicary. dodger had one accident where he whent on the other side of the kitchen, but i keep such a close eye on them when housebreaking that i caught him mid act a quick no and in the box. he only ever had 1 accident.
Vixie had 2 or 3 that first week because she thought just because her front end was on the mat her back end must be too, but this was before i found the kiosk, as soon as we put the pad in there she got the point, it does help having those boundries. :)

mine are a tad spoilt, they also dont like the rain, they will go out with their raincoat on, but no raincoat no go, ESPECIALLY if their ears get wet, oh heavens forbid.

we found this method simply much more convenient especially with having the saiboat, your kinda at a loss for grass to pee on in the middle of the sound lol. and were in a raised ranch and vixie wont go down stairs so this also helped due to the fact that sometimes you just cant be quick enough to pick them up and take them down 3 sets of stairs lol.

sp0322

Your puppies sound so cute! I decided to look at all sizes of dogs near me and I'm re-thinking whether I should get from a breeder or just adpot.. I think adopting might be better because I'll be helping out noy just buying a puppy because of who her parents are or if she has a potential to show..

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
thank you.
i think adopting is a wonderfull idea.
the nice thing with adopting is you dont realy have to have a specific breed in mind, just a list of what your looking for (ie dog friendly, low shedding ect) go down to the shelter and find a dog that just captures your heart. youll know it when you find it.

some of the plusses of a shelter dog is that many are past that naughty puppy stage and many are also housebroken, 2 big things that realy put a down on the puppy year or 2 lol.

good luck, keep us updated!

sp0322

Haha thanks.. I'm looking at big breeds too and I've seen the cutest rottie mixes =] I like the way that they hold themselves =]

If you adopt, you can see if the dog triggers your mom's allergies, too. While some breeds are more 'hypoallergenic' than others, there seems to be an individual component too, so it's best to have a trial period where you can see if an individual rescue dog triggers your mom's allergies.

sp0322

Yeaa thats a good point.. I was talking to my mom yesterdayand I was asking her about a time line and all because she said I could get a puppy this summer.. Well her fiance was right there and my mom was like well I don't know and I said something and her fiance goes to my mom 'don't give her false hope.. shes not getting a dog' I almost flipped out right there... I went up to bed and bawled my eyes out.. I know I'm responsible.. I take care of my cat except for cleaning his litter and thats because my mom told me she didn't want me too.. I take my dog out and brush him every day.. I make honor role.. My room is semi clean.. (only reason its not is because her fiance had to bring ALL of his stuff over which means stuff that I could normally keep in other rooms is now in my room >:O) My grandparents own the house and I spent three hours with them today because my grandfather had surgery so the PT was there and I stayed to help out.. And my grandmother told me I should get a big dog like her old one Lupa who was half wolf.. I don't know I over reacted last nigth when I told my mom that I didn't need her permission to get a dog that I could get it by myself.. I mean I am paying for it.. I have 500 if I'm going to adopt and then ontop of that I just got a job at 10 an hour plus 10% if I refer them to a business and 10% can be like 100-200 (family connections help :)) so I can easily support my dog.. Its sooo frustrating....

noludoru

Bored Now.
Aww, I'm sorry, hon. I think this is where you need to sit down with your mother and touch base with her and THEN, when you two both know where you are (ie she knows you won't rest until you get a companion of your own and she's supporting it) sitting down with both mom (as support.. if you're butting heads with him, and he's an adult, you will need your mom's support) and fiance and touching bases with him.

I can PM you and we can talk about it, if you'd like. I managed to win both of my parents over on "the dog," and can almost certainly help, but I do not think this thread is an appropriate place to talk about that. :p Or yahoo, if you have it. But you'd have to remind me to log on, LOL, as I never remember to.

sp0322

Haha I was kinda mean and brought up getting a puppy five time in an hour.. I was telling her how my grandmother said she'd give me 100 towards getting it.. and I was like now that I'm getting a job I can get more money for my puppy.. she got a little irritated.. your welcome to PM.. I hope it helps.. Its funny because my mom I think is mad that becaus eI sepnd so much time with my grandparents their really spoiling me now and I don't spend much time at home and if I do I'm home alone because her fiances kids live an hour away and so every other night they have to go to one of their games or something.. I always opt out saying I have something to do.. Personally I think his kids are little brats.. I mean the older one walks around MY house like he owns it then when I go to do something he'll do something to make me not be able to do it.. If it wasn't for the fear of getting into major trouble I would have legit fliped out.. I think it would be interesting to see their reactions to me getting a dog.. especially a breed like yorkies or chihuahuas who tend to bond to one person...

Members online

No members online now.