Please reassure me

Charlie is over 8 months old now and I am getting increasingly frustrated with his house training.

He sleeps most of the day with my fiace, and only got out about every 4-5 hours, but then I get home.. He goes out when I get home, he eats a bit later, he goes out after eating, we got for a walk, then it goes on and on.... He bugs me to go out every hour or two EVERY night.

This cannot be normal for an 8 month old dog! I expected this when he was younger, but at 8 months old why is he doing this? and why only at night?
I finally just ignored him today thinking that he just likes going outside and he peed on the floor! :( :confused:

I am getting so flustered, I over reacted a bit and he ran away :( :(
I think that it may be because he is marking to much when we are outside and not peeing enough, but he goes out almost every hour or two at night!

He is getting neutered next week and I wonder if that will help.

elegy

overdogged
is he crate trained?

when you get home, who dictates when it's time to go out? you or him?

When I get home I bring him out right away. I also bring him out right in the morning and after he eats. He barks to go out other times or makes snorting sounds. (I will also take him out If I notice other signs that he has to go)

He is crate trained, but only to a point. When I am home he used to be with me watching him constantly or outside.

The thing is that he never has accidents when we are not there, except when we left him to long once or twice, but he only has these accidents when we are home. I don't know why. He is not put in the crate when we are gone.

I have never house trained a dog before and thought this was happening because of the increased puppy energy and warm temperatures and he was drinking more water.

Every time he has asked to go outside he does actually go (yea I admit I look to make sure hes not just marking) Like any other dog he does mark, but I think he might be holding it to mark some more.... I give him the que that we are going back inside, but maybe he does not always completely go.
Will neutering help with that?

bubbatd

I don't know you or your dog .... but maybe he just wants more one on one with you .Potty training goes beyond squating issues. dogs want to be part of the family. I never crated a dog, but was at home mommy . I gather your fiance is home all day .... does she turn over the " training " to you when you get home ? Maybe you are too harse and he resents this .

mjb

You posted that he sleeps most of the day with your fiance. Maybe he considers that his 'night' where he has one continuous sleep. Then he's ready for more alert time.

Mine always slept all night even as a puppy, but during housetraining, during the day he had to go every hour, with that getting longer gradually.

I have been house training him since he was a puppy, so its been 6 months.

He gets time with my fiance all day mostly and then time with me all night for the most part. When we go out its usually to places we can bring him. So I don't think its a quality time issue.

He sleeps a lot of the day (even on my days off he does this). Its kind of the puppy sleep for hours and then go crazy and then sleep for more hours thing. He sleeps perfectly fine all night in his crate.

I don't know why he only has accidents when we are home, never when we are not home. Or why its usually only when I am home and not during the day with my fiance. He was watchd 24/7 until he was about 6-7 months old. Then he never went for a long time and we stopped watching constantly, but still section off a small part of the apartment only.

I do not keep him in the crate because if I am just in the same room watching tv or something he will be on the couch next to me most of the time.

It sounds more like he's demanding attention than anything else. Neutering may help some, or you may have to structure his world a bit more, maybe with NILIF training.

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
If he truly has to pee every hour or two all day long then that does not seem normal to me. I'd suggest checking with the vet to see if he has a UTI.

Do you make potty trips short and to the point, or do you take him for a walk, play with him etc. while out there? If he's doing this for attention or outside time then I'd make sure to take him out on leash everytime and just stand in one spot untill he goes, then straight back in the house. No play time during a potty break.

He does not really get play during potty time. He walks around to the trees sniffs, goes 3-5 times and then we come back inside. If i stood in one spot he would not completely go, he needs to move around a bit to stimulate himself to go I think.

As for the NILIF. He does not get anything until has sits, including food, treats crossing the street for walks, getting a bone or toy, ect.

I think you are right that it could be a demand for attention. He does seem to want my attention a lot, but I keep a close on on him because I don't want him to mess in the house, so I guess he is used to a lot of attention.

He is schedule to be neutered this week.

I don't think its a marking thing. When I have caught him dong it he is not lifting his left. When he sprays outside he always lifts his leg.

I have not asked the vet about it yet because it is so intermitent. It cuold also be because sometimes he drinks a gallon of water it seems, and then he cannot hold it I guess. I'm not sure, I have a couple theories. It only seems to happen about once a week or so now.

Doberluv

Personally, I don't think there's anything so abnormal about this. Eight months old isn't so old. Average time for reliable potty training is 6 months. That's average. So, he's only two months older than that. They all mature at different rates. My Dobe wasn't reliable until he was about 10 months old and I took him out every 2 or 3 hours. I've had dogs reliable by 4 months. If you think he's going too frequently and if there is not a lot of out- put, you might indeed check with a vet just in case. But if I were you, I'd keep taking him out if he looks like he needs to so he doesn't pee in your house. Too many times like that and he'll get the idea it's OK to go in the house. You can work on spreading out the time inbetween bathroom visits later. I did with my Dobe and he's just fine.

Members online

No members online now.