my new puppy cant be

chilled

hi its chilled again

my new 9 week old puppy cant be left on his own.
every time i go out i come back and hes howling away.
the problem is i live on a first floor flat and have neighbours below and above me.
i even take my child to school i leave him for 10 mins and my partner is a sleep and he still howls.
how do i get over htis stage??

also ive just brought him his first coller and hes always trying to get it off and he now wont even play with his toys??

anyone help please thanks

showpug

Your puppy is throwing a typical puppy pouting session :D Your pup will adjust to it's collar even if it is pouting right now...be patient! When you are home and your pup cries do you take the pup out of where it is? The only time to go and get your pup is when it is quiet. I ignore my puppy completley if he is making noise for me to come and get him. When he is quiet for a few minutes then I go and get him and give him a treat and lots of praise. If you pup is howling and crying and you show him attention by taking him out, looking at him, talking to him etc. it reinforces the behavior and he learns that that is how he gets what he wants. Your pup is very young so don't expect too much too soon! I understand that disrupting your neighbors is an issue, so before you leave, give your puppy a KONG toy stuffed with some really good yummies. You can find a KONG at almost any pet supply store. Stuff the Kong with peanut butter or some cream cheese up in the middle of the hole of the KONG. This will distract your puppy while you are out because he will be so busy trying to get his treat :D This is a good way to teach your puppy to play quietly with a toy while you are out. Good luck and I am sure you will get lot of good advice from other members :)

B

BlackDog

I just wanted to comment on what showdog said about the kong toy. I think that was very good advice and it probably will work for the dog to be distracted, but I would advise against using too much peanut butter or cream cheese as it can make your dogs weight go up easily and it isn't very good for them health wise. This is even more of a problem if you have a small breed dog, which I suspect you do since you say you live in a apartment, because small breed dogs gain very fast. Then you go to go the the vet the next time and they look and shake their hands at you. Use it once in a while but not at the time. Just a little tip.

chilled

hello

thanks for the advice.
i dont have a small bread dog i have a boxer cross ridgeback.
my flat is big anyway and will get lots of execise.

i hope he does get used to the collar he still tries to get it off.

will let you know how i get on.
thanks

showpug

He WILL get used to the collar...puppies take time. I do agree not to use too much "goodie" in the kong, but enought to keep your pooch occupied!!

Doberluv

In addition to all the excellent advice you've gotten, here's another little trick: Practice extremely short absenses. Give him something really neat to try and occupy him. Go out the door and try to re-open it and come back before he starts whining, even if it's for 2 seconds. If you can beat him to it, praise and toss him a little (fat free) mozzerella cheese or something he really likes. Then repeat. See if you can add a few more seconds. He'll start to beleive you, that it's not the end of the world when you disappear, that you'll return. Just gradually increase the time you're out of sight. Don't go so long that he has time to get too worried and starts howling. Try to beat him to it and return before that happens if you can. Over the next week or two, if you practice this plenty, increasing the amount of time you're gone, I think this will help condition him also.

You can also do other things to generally raise his confidence level....tug of war games where he wins, new obedience skills that he gets rewarded for and in which all training is fun, fun, fun. Plus, just growing up will help him.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.