So I feed Iams...

smoore

and have come to realize that dogs really shouldn't be eating corn and such.

I'm going to go talk to the local pet shop (Happy Tails in Idaho Springs, CO) and see if they recommend Canidae as it seems to be a reasonably priced alternative. I'd feed that top-shelf (Eagle pack?) but I can't justify $70 a bag to myself and especially not my wife ;)

So... assuming I want to switch our two dogs over to Canidae I would think that I should mix the Iams with the new food in order to keep the dogs' internals working well. Is this correct?

smoore

SalemWitchChild said:
Yes you should mix their current food with the brand you switch to. You should slowly wean them off of Iams.
OK, so the first week something like 75% iams/25% new?
then 50/50, then 25/75, then 100% new?

A month should be plenty of time for them to get used to it, yes?

Julie

I am back again.
I really think it depends on the dog. I have switched food with a couple weeks of mixing the old food in. Then again I have switched in one day.
It has never taken a whole month to make a complete switch though. But my dogs don't seem to have any bad effects from a change, I know some do.
I think 50/50 would be cautious enough to start the switch. :)

smoore

ok, sounds reasonable. I'll probably just pick up a bag of it and use the balance of the Iams I have to switch them. I might have a full two weeks left but it's probably closer to a week of Iams left.

If your dog has not had a lot of stomach problems from variety of foods in the past then 2 weeks is a sufficient enough time for them to switch. I personally, having a breed with known sensitive stomach issues, take a month to fully switch. As said above, each dog is different. You know your dog best so you be the judge.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I usually take only a week to switch food, but neither of mine have sensitive stomachs. The ratios sound good and I've had good results with the Canidae I've got my Lab on.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
If the dog doesn't generally have digestive issues, there is no need for a long transition period. 3-4 meals of mixed food should be plenty, some dogs even tolerate switching "cold turkey" rather well.

Roxy's CD

I switched my guys from Wellness to Eagle Pack cold turkey and there were no runny poopies, even though Roxy had had runny poopies on Wellness.

Members online

No members online now.