California Lamb & Rice Baked Dog Treats - hair & bristle found

angelbell

Hi all,

I just bought my first pack of California Lamb & Rice Baked Dog Treats yesterday. I broke one the biscuit into smaller pieces to give my dogs as treats for training.

Am very surprised to find black hair and some light (or golden) hair or bristle sticking out of the area that was broken off (about 3mm long +/-). Is this expected of a dog treat and are they safe for consumption? (would like to take a photo and post it on this forum but still haven't figure out how i could upload it) :confused: .

The main ingredients are: Lamb Meal, Rice, Oatmeal, Flaxseed Meal, Lamb Fat, natural d alpha-tocopherol.

I used to give Nutro or Eukanuba biscuits but after finding out about their food quality, i decided to switch to California.

Does anyone have such experience? Mordy, given the ingredient list, are hair (black or golden) expected?

Thanks!

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. I would take the whole pack back to the store and inform them. Or else you can contact the manufacturer directly. Hopefully you can post a photo of it....

angelbell

i will try to post a picture once i get my husband to put it into my computer... quite shock to see this cos if you can't see it, i think you may not think about it.

but when you start seeing the few hair sticking out, it's quite sickening.

angelbell

Hi Mordy, thanks for referring me to the other forum.

Do keep us updated if you have get a response from the manufacturer. It's true that the hairs are not coming from my dogs cos' they are sticking out of the treats (when broken).

Actually if i give the whole treat, i wouldn't have noticed. It's because i was breaking them up for training - that's where i saw those golden and black hairs sticking out. :confused: :confused:

i will call our distributor today to see if i can get a refund, will keep you guys updated as well.

Meanwhile, if you are feeding California treats to your dogs, do check as well - not sure if it's just this batch?

That is disgusting. I have been giving my dogs Innova. I am going to check the treats right now. If I find hair, I will freak. Why would it have hair in it. Could they be using products in there that we dont know about? I know some companies use euthanized animals in their food. Please let us know the outcome of what happens.

Fran27

What a nice thread to read while eating :D

I've never had the problem, that being said, and I did feed my dogs those treats for a while.

Dani

Ninja Dog
Ewww....I've heard of a similar case with Canidae snap biscuits. Apparently, it's not harmful:confused: But still, it's gross. Why is it that products with lamb meal in particular have this problem?

Members online

No members online now.