What are you feeding now, and how do you like it?

mom2dogs

What are you feeding your dog right now? Rodi and Duck (lol, she is actually eating the lamb and rice formula). Both come in frozen patties with different formulas we'll rotate between (she's got a great iron stomach). She gets NF Digestive Enhancer as a supplement.

And how is your dog doing on it? So far so good... if she loses weight or her coat goes down the drain she will be switched back to Orijen kibble combined with Naturediet soft.

Last edited:

ACooper

Hmmmmmmmmm, I thought I posted to this already but I don't see it :confused:

Anyway, I *did* feed 25% Canidae, 25% EVO RM, and 50% homecooked. Since Canidae has changed, so have we.

At the moment it is 50% EVO RM (small bites) and 50% homecooked. I may just leave it at that and not look for another food to mix in.

The homecooked is a mixture of green veggies, sweet potato, brown rice, organ meat, and meat (normally chicken) with a spoon of minced garlic thrown in the pot :)

They are doing great as always...........line up and sit pretty for dinner! hahaha

elegy

overdogged
mine are both eating TOTW whatever the fish flavor is. they're doing fine. i switch foods regularly, and never see much difference in how they do from one good brand to another. they're on the TOTW because it's lower calorie and A) mushroom's fat and B) luce is on crate rest for two months.

Romy

Taxiderpy
the only risk of salmonella or e.coli would be to the humans if there were unsafe meat handling practices. Kibble is certainly not free from salmonella/e.coli ~but again, the risk would be humans contracting it, not the dogs.
dogs digestive systems are not the same as humans, they are carnivores, designed to eat raw meat and bones.
I agree here /\

My dog likes "kitty roca" and I'm sure that stuff is way more contaminated than any raw meat could ever dream of being. :eek:

He got raw as training treats as a puppy, but I kept him on a kibble diet until he turned 1 year because he is a giant breed and I didn't want to screw up his growth with messed up calcium/phosphorus ratios and give him pano or something. Two days ago he ate a whole fryer chicken in one sitting though, it was interesting to watch.

Right now we are trying out Wellness Core, and he's doing really well on it. Great muscle tone. It was expensive ($50!) and I liked how he was doing on kirkland, but decided to try it out. The difference in the amount he has been eating is amazing. He was eating 6 cups of kirkland a day, he only eats 3 cups of wellness core. That is supplemented with three scoops of Showstopper, and whatever dog-friendly scraps we have that day. So with Kirkland at $26 a bag now, it works out to roughly the same price to feed him this other food. I think we will try TOTW next, because he really liked their samples.

ACooper

the only risk of salmonella or e.coli would be to the humans if there were unsafe meat handling practices. Kibble is certainly not free from salmonella/e.coli ~but again, the risk would be humans contracting it, not the dogs.
dogs digestive systems are not the same as humans, they are carnivores, designed to eat raw meat and bones.
That is not completely true. If you notice, dog foods and treats are constantly being recalled for salmonella. If dogs could not get salmonella poisoning at all do you think they would waste the time and money recalling?

I can agree that healthy dogs and cats are resistant to salmonella and E.coli, but definitely not immune.

And furthermore, I am sure there was a time (before fire and cooking) that WE ate raw meat and bones............the raw meat we consumed as well as what the dogs consumed was FRESH as in caught just moments ago, not pumped full of hormones, not given antibiotics to live with 50,000 other chickens in a coop, and that makes a whole world of difference IMO.

I've been feeding Timberwolf Chicken (other proteins mixed in) since 2001 and switched a little while ago to Fromm Chicken ala Veg. They like it much better as far as taste. The switch was fine...the jury is out.

TW had that minor recall on the lamb not too long ago and I didn't have a batch number on my bag and they kind of jacked me around a little. I didn't like that. Then they raised the price, again, significantly...and I didn't like that either.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
That is not completely true. If you notice, dog foods and treats are constantly being recalled for salmonella. If dogs could not get salmonella poisoning at all do you think they would waste the time and money recalling?
Salmonella can be shed by the animals and spread to humans but again, that would be a unsanity handling of the food or the fesces. I would imagine that companies would recall their products in order to prevent spreading salmonella to humans...like Mars did in the following article... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/15/AR2008051502363.html

ACooper

Salmonella can be shed by the animals and spread to humans but again, that would be a unsanity handling of the food or the fesces. I would imagine that companies would recall their products in order to prevent spreading salmonella to humans...like Mars did in the following article... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/15/AR2008051502363.html
Maple, dogs CAN and DO get ill from salmonella..........it is not just an issue of passing it on to humans. Though being a "carrier" is a way more common form of it.

They get fevers, diarrhea, the works........and sometimes depending on the health of the dog BEFORE they come down with it, death. Just like people, most people just get very ill, but some people (old, young, sick before hand) DIE.

I know this because I did a lot of reading when I was considering going to RAW for my two. I read everything I could get my hands on.

Make no mistake, I am NOT knocking anyone who feeds RAW it's their choice. There is a risk involved to anything we feed them or ourselves........and it isn't a common thing for dogs to actually BE sick from salmonella but it most certainly does happen.

Maple, dogs CAN and DO get ill from salmonella..........it is not just an issue of passing it on to humans. Though being a "carrier" is a way more common form of it.

They get fevers, diarrhea, the works........and sometimes depending on the health of the dog BEFORE they come down with it, death. Just like people, most people just get very ill, but some people (old, young, sick before hand) DIE.
Very true. Our vets do not recommend "raw" diets precisely because they have had too many cases of salmonella in their animal hospital, including pets that have died from it. They have also had cases of the lesser-known campylobacter infections in dogs, again from raw meat diets.

They say it's a myth that dogs are somehow "immune" to salmonella and campylobacter from raw meat. Their position on raw diets is that it's a currently trendy and potentially harmful fad. They point out that all the sick dogs they have treated, including those they couldn't save, were all owned by well-meaning owners who tragically believed the "immunity myth". :(

Boemy

Dogs can indeed get salmonella. And sadly, 15% of human-grade chicken does have salmonella . . . Humans just don't feel the ill-effects because we (usually ;) ) cook our meat before eating it. 81% of human-grade chicken has campylobacter . . . I'm not sure if it has ill effects on dogs, though.

Humans are pretty resistant to salmonella too (I ate sooo much cookie dough with raw eggs in it as a kid and never got sick), but it's always a risk. The reason most dogs are resistant to salmonella is the same reason most humans are resistant to it . . . Over the millenia, the ones who weren't resistant to it died before reproducing. But there's always some humans/dogs who are not resistant to it and will fall ill.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
Salmonella exists in the gut and stool of raw fed AND kibble fed dogs...are you worried about a particular strain?? Kibble, like i said before, isn't immune to salmonella.

Like I've already said, unsanitary hygiene when dealing with raw food, kibble and/or feces is what will spread bacteria.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thought I'd update cause I have nothing else to do, lol

Both Izzy and Frodo are now on 100% raw and doing awesome. I am in love with the unsmelly one crap a day bit :lol-sign: Unfortunately I pay an arm and a leg because Izzy can't tolerate enhanced meats...

*glares at Izzy*

noludoru

Bored Now.
Figured I'd bump.... I'm sure a lot of us have changed what we are feeding.

As for me, Middie's been on 100% Kirkland for two weeks and I don't like it as much as when he had some Orijen in there, too. But he's still doing marvelous - so much better than on any other food, even the Innova.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well we just changed foods because the solid gold mmillenium went up to $50 a bag :eek:

so now we are feeding natural balance. the ingredients seem to be pretty good and it is about $40 a bag.

the dogs seem to be really enjoying it too.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Right now Frodo and Inky are still on raw and absolutely thriving.
Mollie is on homemade and doing well.
Izzy is on homemade/raw and is doing decent, I guess, I really don't think she'll ever be 100% on any food.

gale

We're in the process of switching from Calif Natural to Diamond Naturals because of cost and availability.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Couldn't get down to Costco so I went to Tractor Supply which is close to me and bought Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice which they all love.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Rylie and Chloe are both on raw... I have Orijen on hand as well for those days I forget to thaw them out food.

Our foster is on California Naturals, and is doing okay.

Members online

No members online now.