Low-Energy Breeds

noludoru

Bored Now.
I know, I know, "low energy" and "dog" are antonyms of eachother, but still. :p Just wondering if anyone knows any low-energy breeds (that aren't toys)? From what I've read and heard about greyhounds, and from my talks with grey owners, they are low-key in the house, but outside they tend to rev up. Otherwise, this is the only breed I've ever heard of with relatively low energy levels.

~Tucker&Me~

I've found the lazeist dogs are... Seniors from shelters :D.

Yes, not ALL of them are lazy, but I bet it isn't hard to find a lazy one ;)

~Tucker

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
I dunno showpug... Pearl bounces off the wall!!! She wears out my 10 month old Rottie EASY! Maybe its just my luck that I got the crack-addict attitude bullmastiff. LOL

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Neapolitan Mastiffs are low energy too. :) I think most Mastiffs tend to be. I always thought Bullmastiffs were quite high energy though? I'm probably wrong about that, I've not had much to do with them.

Cass.

otch1

Try reading up on a Clumber Spanial. I've really enjoyed working with them over the years and they have lovely temperaments.

Saintgirl

Saint Bernards are laaaazzzyyyyyy! Sometimes we joke that getting on and off the couch is a big deal for him!

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Well, she is a toy but my Pap Pom mix is delightfully lazy. Sometimes it gets to me like this morning when I am up early for work (and it is cold and raining) and she gives me the one eye open and grunt snores back into the duck down duvet!!! Grrrr!

noludoru

Bored Now.
I've found the lazeist dogs are... Seniors from shelters :D.

Yes, not ALL of them are lazy, but I bet it isn't hard to find a lazy one ;)

~Tucker
When I've asked that question, that is the most common answer I get! :lol-sign:
So, Greyhounds, English Bulldogs, Mastiffs. Clumber Spaniels, St Bernards, Neapolitan Mastiffs, Bullmastiffs... geesh, is it only the breeds with big heads and wrinkly faces? :D

Thanks guys, this is just something I was curious about.

In the house Central Asian's are lazy lie about and watch.
Outside they get a bit more active but normally patrol at slow pace and do not kick into 3rd gear unless in defence.
2nd gear outside is play time.

They needed this as desert dogs for centuries to survive on long trips.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, all I can tell you is not any breeds I've ever had! My GSDx was high energy, so was our lab, so are all the shelties we've had and all the papillons. I tend to favor very active breeds though...

showpug

I dunno showpug... Pearl bounces off the wall!!! She wears out my 10 month old Rottie EASY! Maybe its just my luck that I got the crack-addict attitude bullmastiff. LOL
You must have, LOL! After knowing the four bullmastiffs that my friend has, they have ALL been very, very lazy and only two of the four were from the same line. Anyway, they are so lazy that you literally have to step over them if they are in the way. :D The two of hers I watched grow up were like this as puppies as well. One is always on the floor napping during handling class, LOL

However, I did know one bonkers bullmastiff and she was about the most hyper dog I ever knew. Just very happy and exciteable. Maybe that is how Pearl will be? ;)

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
I really must of... at handling class.. asleep?! Oh not Pearl. She was eating the cone... then she was having a convulsion on the end of her leash to see the other dogs. Then she had her tail up, head up and just pranced around. She came home, and attacked the other dogs with kisses.

She loves to eat and play. Rarley is she asleep. Why do I always get the *non* typical dogs ?!!!

showpug

I really must of... at handling class.. asleep?! Oh not Pearl. She was eating the cone... then she was having a convulsion on the end of her leash to see the other dogs. Then she had her tail up, head up and just pranced around. She came home, and attacked the other dogs with kisses.

She loves to eat and play. Rarley is she asleep. Why do I always get the *non* typical dogs ?!!!
ROFL! She really doesn't sound typical for the breed. Guess she's just super thrilled with life and having you as her Mommy ;)

I should have mentionned, in the house Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes are very lazy as well. However this is ONLY if their mental and physical excercise requirements have been met. Back in the day when they lived with the Sibes lived with the Chukchis people, they were used to keep the women and children warm at night. This wouldnt work if the dog was bouncing all around and very hyper. However, if the Sibe or Mals excercise requirements are not met, then expect to come home to your house completely destroyed and the dog still bouncing off the walls. LOL

At home when I bring the boys inside they just lay around and look really really lazy (not at all what you would expect sprint racers to act like hehe). But go outside or bring out the leashes and its a whole other story!

Members online