Help with Whining!

George10

Hi. Last November, we acquired our brother in-laws 7yr old Golden Retriever. Last month, we got a puppy Golden. The kids and family love these dogs.

Our 7yr old lived outside for 7 years of his life. He lost a brother about 4 years ago. When we brought him home, we had his kennel in our kitchen. He would never bark, but would Whine whenevr we put him outside on our 3 season Porch. We did not wnat to kennell him all day, so the porch is a great place. He even has a dog house on it! He whines outside not all day, but whenever my wife leaves, my wife comes home, the door bell rings or sees the puppy.

He also follows around my wife from room to room, whenever my wife gets up from the couch, he gets up and follows her to the kitchen, the bedroom, etc....He sometimes does this with me or the kids, but maily the wife.

Now that we have puppy, both dogs are downstairs in our finished basement. Puppy and the 7yr old get along great and play ALOT! The 7yr old now will bark every morning (ealry too)....He never did that before.

Between the b arking and the whining, we are looking for help. The neighbors have politely asked us about the dog whinning outside and that is my concern. We really do not mind the whinning, but the neighbors do. The barking has to stop in the morning too.

Here is what we have tried. Ignoring him, squirting him with water, even a load stern No from my Manly voice - it works for 1 minutes and then he'll just whine again.

We are looking for help!

sourjayne

The people in the house next door to me have an older German Shepherd who whines a lot.

I've heard he's not in the best of health, so I feel bad for him, I wish they would keep him in the house. The whining sometimes makes it hard for me to sleep in some mornings, and I love to sleep in when I can, which is rare.

It seems obvious to me that the dog wants to be in the house with people, that he doesn't like being outside alone. He might be happier inside in a kennel than outside by himself. At the very least, his whining won't be as audible to the neighbors.

George10

Whinning

Even when we had the kennel in the litchen prior to puppy coming home, he would whine when we had people over and we were sitting right their with him. He would stop after a few minutes, but I did notice it is worse now.

So perhaps this could be seperation anxiety? He lived outside for so long and now that he is in the home, he just wnats to be in the home? I have noticed that when goes out to his thing, he comes back real fast just to be in the house or get to us.

It gets bothersome as a dog owner to have your dog whine or to constatntly follow you wherever you go. That is also another concern.

sourjayne

I actually need help with whining too. He's been reinforced in the past with attention (not always by me) so I don't think just ignoring it will work. There are times when his whining will be bothersome to others and it would be rude of me to allow him to continue. He's with me 92% of the time, but that 8% is troublesome when I have to leave him alone and he starts to whine, then scream.

A stern NO and then ignoring the whining seems to work with all my dogs, past and present.
It may take a little while, but it usually works.

As for following, I cant help there, my dogs like to follow me around too, but I dont see anything wrong with it.

Elissa

otch1

Hi George... please consider picking up DVM - Ian Dunbars' book on canine behavior. Great reading from a vet and behaviorist/trainer, that deals with seperation anxiety in older dogs, jealousy between dogs, possessive behavior over an owner. Your dog's gone from being the only dog, the past few years, to now sharing his home and your affection with a new pup, and his sleeping area has changed, no doubt other things changing for him that you might not have considered or be aware of with the excitement of a new puppy in the house. So, behavior that he displayed in his younger years that was tolerable and you didn't feel the need to immediatley correct, he's now "stepped it up a bit" to get your attention. Dunbars books always make for good reading. Good luck and congratulations on your new puppy!

George10

Thanks. I'll get the book, but I do know it will just take time with stern NO's, etc.....I know my 7year old has to be jealous, but I also know this can be trained.......

Members online

No members online now.