The Flu Shot...

filarotten

Fila the love
I wish they had a shot for Mtn cedar allergies :/ the count is like ... At 20,000 last time I checked & it's making me miserable ... But what sucks is all the meds that decongest me also make me too drowsy to work :(
HEB has an herbal formula for cedar allergies. I believe it is supposed to build your immunity against cedar pollen/spores.

The one time I had the flu shot I was sick for a week with the flu.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Hyia got a flu shot yesterday, and today, she is coughing fresh, and has developed a fever. Coincidence? Exposed at the doctor office? Sighs. She JUST got over one of these.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I don't get the flu. But even if I did I likely wouldn't bother with the shot. I am all for vaccinations, but I would like to take ones that aren't like throwing a dart at a moving target from have a year away.
Best quote for describing the flu shot ever. So many people flipped out on me because I didn't get it - they buy into the media hype.

Twin_Dogs

I had flu shot last year and got one for this year. I am surrounded by children at work who are constantly getting sick and passing it on to others. Best decision I made. I havent been sick since last year. Fingers crossed that it'll have the same result this year :)

Saeleofu

I did not get one, never have, and will not this year. From what I hear on the news, the shot is pretty much a bust this year anyway.

Also, I'm sick right now, but it is NOT the flu. It's just a cold. I can't remember the last time I actually has something I suspected was the flu.

JacksonsMom

I did have the flu shot this year, working around lots of kiddos in daycare and all. *knock on wood* I've been good so far and been around a lot of sick kids. Including my sister who lives with me.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I've only gotten the flur shot one year and that was the year I got the flu. I was horribly sick and had to take days off of work and go to the ER at one point because my fever was ridiculous and I was delusional. Never Again! Since then I went back to no flu shot, got a bit of a cold a month ago, but nothing near as bad.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22643217

Seems to confirm some suspicions I've had for a long time. Our immune systems are like everything else. They need stimulation, they need to work, they need to be challenged in natural ways, like everything else in this world.

It's been known for a while that flu vaccines only provide a temporary rise of very specific antibodies for usually less than one year.

Natural exposure provides not only lifetime immunity, but also prepares your immune system for similar viruses that you'll encounter later in life as well.

I guess it's good for business. Keep people in need

Another thing is regardless of whether one gets the flu shot, most people just donot get the flu.. It is not something one gets yearly. I've never had the flu shot, had the flu twice in my life (an one of thosewas h1n1 so different anyways).

So those who get it yearly and say oh it worked, they did t vet the flu, yeah not buying it was the vaccination that prevented it. My mom and DH each got the shot once, both were very sick with the flu that year. Happens way too often to be a coicidence.

Very good point that gets lost in a lot of this. Flu like illness, is what makes most people sick every year. Most suspected "flu" cases are NOT any sort of influenza virus at all, but they all get lumped together anyway. Either the media is too lazy to differentiate, or they just don't care. I know the industry doesn't mind, it helps sell product.

Going back to college, and No i don't have any link or reference, but I remember reading something back then that said the average person will get an actual influenza infection between 2 - 4 times in their entire life. Don't quote me, it's been a long time since I've read that, but it's what I remember.

It wouldn't surprise me though as when they finally do lab confirmation of a lot of cases, they most times come back with no influenza infection at all, but something else. That's if they even do a lab test.

Taqroy

It wouldn't surprise me though as when they finally do lab confirmation of a lot of cases, they most times come back with no influenza infection at all, but something else. That's if they even do a lab test.
This drove me crazy during the H1N1 bull. They diagnosed my mom OVER THE PHONE with H1N1. They did no tests, they did basically no follow up, and apparently blithely ignored the fact that she gets a sickness with the exact same symptoms every single year. She was not amused when she complained to me and I told her that until I saw an actual conclusive test that she had it I was completely unconvinced that she had anything other than her yearly cold.

I got the flu shot last year (for the first time in....ten years or so?) because I'm pregnant. I figured the worst that could happen is that I get the flu anyway. I had no side effects and thus far have not had any flu like symptoms.

Taqroy

Honestly, if I were pregnant I would be even more against getting the flu shot for myself, especially the regular one with mercury in it.

One example
http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/42...vaers-after-flu-shot-given-to-pregnant-women/
Yeah, I didn't do the research beforehand (I know I know /slapswrist) and I've had the flu shot before with no problems. Plus I was far more susceptible to the "OMG YOU'LL KILL YOUR BAAAAAABY IF YOU DON'T DO <WHATEVER>" at the beginning of this pregnancy than I am now. If I were to do it again I probably wouldn't get it.

ETA: Just read that article and....wow.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I don't get it. Never have. My immune system is compromised from having H1N1/swine flu or whatever a few years ago when it was all over the news, along with bronchitis, but I haven't had any form of flu since. My sister, who gets it yearly, and is not immuno-compromised, gets sick with the flu multiple times a winter.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22643217

Seems to confirm some suspicions I've had for a long time. Our immune systems are like everything else. They need stimulation, they need to work, they need to be challenged in natural ways, like everything else in this world.

It's been known for a while that flu vaccines only provide a temporary rise of very specific antibodies for usually less than one year.

Natural exposure provides not only lifetime immunity, but also prepares your immune system for similar viruses that you'll encounter later in life as well.

I guess it's good for business. Keep people in need
FWIW, I don't think most people go in thinking they are covered for the whole year.

Oh and I hope you dont think I was trying to shame you FOR getting it....its scary for sure and drs can be very high pressure. I know several local moms who switched OBs just this last month (late in pregnancy too for some) because of this. I just wanted others to make sure there is another side if they were considering getting it because of being pregnant.

Members online

No members online now.