Computer Help Please: MacBook Pro

Ok, tried to do it from the C but it got to the apple and spiny t thing and stayed like that for about 10 minutes until I shut it down. I'm sitting here holding the option key down and it is going no farther than the grey screen.

Also, so much thanks. Was trying to do some research but its slow going on a phone

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Wow. That is sincerely disappointing. :( I have honestly never heard of such problems before, and my Pro works like a dream.

If you have an Apple store near you, you could make an appointment to see if someone could at least diagnose the problem. I know you said it is out of warranty, but the genius bar or whatever they call themselves now should still take a look at it for free.

Somebody mentioned a toast harddrive... If that is the case harddrives are relatively inexpensive, depending on how much storage you want. However, getting them installed is something that people seriously overcharge. If at all possible I'd try to do that yourself, or find someone you know to do it for you. The only think you may risk is voiding your warranty, but since yours is already out of warranty...

Please keep in mind that I am not a computer genius by any means... I'm just married to one. LOL! I get a lot of my "knowledge" by watching him play family tech support. :p

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Ok, tried to do it from the C but it got to the apple and spiny t thing and stayed like that for about 10 minutes until I shut it down. I'm sitting here holding the option key down and it is going no farther than the grey screen.

Also, so much thanks. Was trying to do some research but its slow going on a phone
First thing out of his mouth: "What the heck."

It could be the hard drive, but if the hard drive was bad it should still boot to disc. His suggestion was to make an appointment with the Genius Bar and have them look at it. They won't charge you to figure out what's wrong, they'll just charge you to fix it. If it is the hard drive, it would be much cheaper to buy one and install it yourself. If it comes to that, I can send you step-by-step instructions with pictures.

Tell him thanks again for me, I seriously am tickled he spent so much time helping. And thanks to you for passing the notes :)

Im going to make an appointment for this week. I also talked to a friend who used to work at Apple (she was more on the iPhone part but picked up a bit) and she agrees with you on it not sounding like the harddrive. Almost hope it is for the cheap fix

I hope its not the logic board since I saw what that cost when it was repaired in June and it wasn't cheap.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
You're welcome. :D

He actually made the same comment as you. That he hopes it isn't the logic board since that would, well, suck. It's possible to replace it yourself, but they aren't cheap. They replaced the logic board under warranty? Is there some sort of extended warranty on that since it's newer than the laptop itself? If the logic board went bad again after they replaced it, I would push for them to replace it again for free.

I would love to push for it but there is a lot of bad blood between Apple and I. It was a month long battle with them to get the parts that needed to be replaced (logic board included) in May, 5 months after I got it. Most of the inside parts are new from June.

But it was a battle and I know I have a note in my file that says "NEVER again" Even though its ridiculous that its doing this. That's why I said they put a timer in it, barely a.week out of warranty it starts this. They got even.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
If it's barely out of warranty, they should still replace whatever needs to be replaced. I've never had any sort of experience with it, but he said they're usually pretty good about it. If the person who takes your appointment is being an ass about it, ask to be seen by someone else. I've definitely dealt with some unhelpful, stuck-up people in the Apple store, but the majority have been extremely nice.

The people in the Apple store have always been more than kind and helpful, most going out of their way to help. Its been the higher ups that I have had the trouble with, most over the phone and not at any local store.

But believe me, I'm going to try to see if I can get it fixed under warranty. That would be wonderful.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
If they don't end up replacing anything under warranty, if you let me know what's broken, I (really meaning Adam) can help you figure out what you need to buy and how to install it. :)

Michiyo-Fir

It sounds like your hard drive is failing. I'd go to Apple ASAP.

I've had a hard drive fail on me on this macbook pro because I kept dropping the computer repeatedly but they just exchanged a new one for me.

I find if you're fresh out of warranty, they're really good about not charging you or at least charging you only for the part. But since I abuse my computers like you wouldn't believe, I get applecare and they replace everything for me within 30 min... Even when I broke it by dropping it.

I love Apple's customer service at any rate. They're always really helpful.

Well, they think its the Logic Board like we thought it was. Of course. The bright side even though they were unwilling to work with me on it being replaced already they are sending it out for a flat repair which will cost 280. Not bad

Members online

No members online now.