"Designer Dogs"

Kayzhond

I saw someone mention they had a "Puggat" (Pug/Rat Terrier). Is there some reason why they simply can't call their dog a a mutt because thet's exactly what it is?

I read the artcile 'Designer Dogs: Fad or Forver' in the August 1995 issue of Dog Fancy and it got me thinking baout a Labradoodle breeders site I recently came across. They wanted 2,500 for black, chalk, cream; $2,600 for chocolate, cafè, apricot cream; $2,700 for red, apricot, gold. To be honest, I think the whole "Designer Mutt" thing has gone way, way, way overboard and wish people wouldn't intentionally cross two breeds just to take advantage of the uneducated folks out there in terms of dogs and prey upon the whole "best of both worlds".

After having read 'Designer Dogs: Fad or Forever', I'm not so sure if I see this as fad or forever. I'd like to think it's a fad, but with cross-breed clubs and registries popping up for these "Designer Mutts" it makes me wonder if it truly is "just a fad".

What do you all think?

poeluvr

they probably say a puggat cuz its a fun way of telling the person asking about it that its a pug and a rat terrier..no big deal...it is wrong to breed them,,,but dont get discouraged over the name
i think ur fishing for comments
there have been numerous threads saying how bad it is to breed designer dogs, on this site. i think you know what we are all gonna say... :eek:
but to answer i think to breed two different dogs yes is wrong

S

stirder

I disagree with breeding designers dogs to an extent. as far as I know every designer mutt being bred and sold right now is just a way of making money. claim to have created a new product, make all sorts of claims about how much better it is, the fewer breeders there are the more demand they can CREATE, and sell it for whatever they want.
every breed we know today was created by crossing 2 or more breeds. the difference is that those old breeders crossed breeds for specific purposes. they wanted a better guard dog, or a better sled dog, a better family dog, a better retriever or hunter or herder for certain duties and terrains/environments. and they created strict standards for the new breeds. this doesnt seem to be the case today.
one designer mutt I read about is the alsatian shepalute. they claim to be using dogs with NO working instincts to create a family dog. they claim that they only use dogs that show no territoriality, but then claim that the alsatian shepalute will protect your family to the death. okay, 1st off if your creating solely a family dog with no working instincts dont use to extreme working breeds. 2nd, if you claim you are producing dogs with no territoriality who love everyone, then how can you claim it will protect your family???
that said...I agree, there are already enough threads about designer mutts. we dont need to create new ones unless they are about something specific that is not covered by another thread.

Rose's Gal

Well, to sum up my arguments on this point:
I disagree with the creation of new breeds unless they are being bred for a purporse that another dog (pure or mix) can't fill, and they are being bred responsibly, and they are actually trying to create a breed, not just cross breed.
So in other words, I don't agree with these "designer breeds".
(And, BTW, breeding for a "companion dog" isn't a spceific purpose. Lots of mutts and other breeds can fill that role.)

S

stirder

yeah, I didnt imply that breeding for a companion was a purpose, I said thats what they say they are doing. other than that missunderstanding we apparently completely agree!

bubbatd

Leave the breeding to those who know what they are doing for the betterment of the breed. Any "new breeds" are not Chaz members concerns. Yes, all of our breeds today are from inter breeding many,many years ago. Start a new one today and you'll be dead long before it's recognized . I think there are enough recognized breeds and Mutts today to fill our hearts.

bubbatd

P.S. My Goldens 40 years ago were know as " Companion Dogs" only because they were whelped and raised to be family companion dogs. Companion dogs today really means service dogs, something I would love to do if I was 30 yrs younger. They're soooooooo special !

S

stirder

how many recognized breeds are out there? akc recognizes, what?, 200? ukc is about the same, ckc, then there are other kennels clubs all over the world. some are true breeds that have been around for hundreds of years but are not recognized. there are thousands of breeds, there are dozens if not hundreds that are suited to every job dogs have ever been bred for. if you cant find what you want amongst the existing breeds...get a gold fish.

bubbatd

LOL!!! or a Hamster !!! Stirder... Grammy is getting to like you ! Now, take back that Goldens are dumb!!!

S

stirder

I didnt say their dumb!!!! I said german shepherds are smarter. but I also am willing to conceide on that point that it may be like when people claim cats are smarter than dogs. I say gsd's are smarter because #1 they learn really fast, #2 they have and continue to excel at every task their trainers attempt, #3 they want (some say NEED) to learn new things all the time. and because of intelligence tests that have been done. and I love goldens, I grew up with one and have trained quite a few of them. :)

bubbatd

HMMMMMMMMM!!! I'll gnaw on that bone a while ! I love and admire GS......After so many years , I'm just more in tuned with Goldens.

S

stirder

lol, I dont mean any offense by that...Im just a german shepherd kind of guy. actually trying to get my wife to get a golden now. she wants a dog of her own and loves our gsd, and every breed of dog that I train and/or help my clients train, but she wants a more laid back dog, and I want another golden. they are much more happy to laze around, and when you want to play show you how much energy they have. more so than gsd's anyway, gsd's lay down when they are tired or bored, otherwise they come up to you and try to force you to play.

stirder said:
how many recognized breeds are out there? akc recognizes, what?, 200? ukc is about the same, ckc, then there are other kennels clubs all over the world. some are true breeds that have been around for hundreds of years but are not recognized. there are thousands of breeds, there are dozens if not hundreds that are suited to every job dogs have ever been bred for. . ..
There are lots of us out here who will fight tooth and toenail to keep our breeds from being "recognized" by any of the various and sundry "KCs!" ;)

Staff online

Members online