Let's Talk Ibizan Hounds!

Gazehounds

Just wanted to say that I love the beezer pics! I have a sighthound obsession. Are those whippets or greys in that last pic? They are beautiful! (As are the ibizans!)
Thanks! They are 4 Greyhounds and a Galgo Espanol (the smallest black and white one is the Galgo).

Romy

Taxiderpy
Cool. This kind of temperament is something I'm happy to work with. Shibas tend to be dog aggressive, so aggression in and of itself isn't a deal-breaker to me, but I'd rather stack the odds in my favor if I decided to bring a bigger dog into the mix with my Shibas. Sounds like researching lines carefully is a good way to go, which is what I would be doing any way.
Females seem to be less prone to DA than the males. One of my friends got a beautiful male from really good lines that haven't really thrown any DA dogs, and her male is SSA. It's gotten to where she's having to return him to the breeder because he's obnoxious to her female dogs to the point where they all hate him, and he wants to eat the faces of her males. :( The breeder is basically going to trade swap him out for a female puppy instead, as that should work out in her household a lot better (she wants to show, they want her to have/show one of their beezers and they both want all dogs involved to be happy, well integrated members of the same household)

momto8

Sorry, a little late to this thread :) As someone mentioned I have 3 Ibizans. 1 smooth and 2 wires. Personally I haven't had any issue's with SSA, but have heard of it in the breed. As someone else mentioned, it varies by lines. I highly suggest doing as much research as you can, talking to as many possibly owners, and meeting as many as you can in person. They are a very different breed, but an amazing breed if they fit your life style! They are happy go lucky dogs, the clowns of the sighthounds! They are extremely smart, my 10 month old puppy can open every baby gate in my house and screen doors. They bond very close to their people, and some ( seems more common with the girls, or my girls at least ) love their people more than anyone else. Mine love children, my son shows his girl and he does Juniors with our older girl. We also do Rally and have been working on ground work for some agility as well, I personally believe they are a very versitile breed, as long as you train in a manner that they like ;) Okay, here's some pics :)

Members online