"Fluffy smooth" collie??

Saeleofu

So I don't know if I'm confused or if they're confused. I noticed a bunch of pictures of this pup in one of the smooth collie groups on DA: http://tuikkis.deviantart.com/art/Misha-is-a-Happy-Puppy-259912935

To me, it's obviously a rough collie. But why do they call it smooth? Are there some registries that have smooth and rough collies completely separated, so even if you get a rough collie from smooth parents, it's technically a smooth? :confused: :confused:

Either way it's a super cute puppy!

ETA: Is there an intermediate coat type that can pop up on occasion? Looking at some of the pics when she's older she looks fluffy but not as fluffy as a typical rough collie. http://tuikkis.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4g6go8

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Its taking me to the devart login page...
Me too but in belgians you can get a "terv" malinois occasionally because they're still technically the same breed and interbred depending on the country. In which the dog has a longer coat than a mal but shorter than a terv. Could be be a similar situation?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
She looks like she's still an adolescent in this pictures though, so I'm thinking she's a rough and that her coat hasn't come in in those sets where she's older. For instance the head shot of her, she clearly has puppy teeth.

I think.they either got suckered or just don't know. Two smooths can produce a rough correct?

Saeleofu

Two smooths can produce a rough correct?
Yup, Logan's parents were both smooths and he had multiple rough littermates.

in belgians you can get a "terv" malinois occasionally because they're still technically the same breed and interbred depending on the country. In which the dog has a longer coat than a mal but shorter than a terv. Could be be a similar situation?
That's what I was wondering, but in the US at least smooths and roughs can interbreed freely and litters can (and often are) registered with both types in a litter. I'm thinking maybe in some other countries they're not so freely interbred, and something like the mal/terv thing happens.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Looks like a smooth with an "open" coat to me. Not as coated as a rough, but not a typical smooth? I dunno.

Saeleofu

Did some more poking around and found this (not sure if you can see it...) http://smoothcollie.deviantart.com/journal/Longhaired-smooth-collies-268048439

I'm not sure how they call these in English, but in finnish it's called pina, what means rought smooth collie. I'm not good explain things.. ^^' But I have decide that I will make a new folder where people can put photos of their longhaired smooth collies.

[...]

Where I live now we can register these to Roughts if we want but fur have to be long enought.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Weird. That puppy definitely looks like a rough puppy. Here's another one of a "rough smooth" from her gallery"
http://tuikkis.deviantart.com/art/There-She-Comes-277017299

That dog has waaaay more feathering on her tail than a smooth, even with an open coat. In the picture she looks like a rough right after it's shed out most of its coat or a puppy with coat still coming in.

In American collie lines, rough is completely recessive. You'll either get rough or smooth with nothing in between. Her profile says she's in Finland. If I remember right, they don't generally cross the two coated varieties. I know ibizan hounds are kept separate by coat in Europe. Fluffy smooth may just mean a rough out of smooth lines. :dunno:

ETA: I've seen rough bitches with tons of coat blow out after they've been in season or blowing puppy coat who look like that. Actually, Gala totally looked like that. lol. Moxie would kill me if I post pics :rofl1: (I don't think I have any anyway). I kept teasing her about how much I liked her new saluki, it was so bad.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I'm guessing it's because they aren't interbred, she's a Smooth Collie by breed, but has the recessive long coat. Exactly like the longhaired Malinois in this country.

Just saw this... had to reply..

This puppy looks like a rough, depending on lines, the amount of coat this dog has is normal for a rough puppy at this age. However, the dog appears not to be an american collie.. and since another person said the users profile was from Finland that would be correct..

In most of Europe roughs and smooths are NOT interbred. In the 90's the kennel clubs split the two varieties up into two seperate breeds. However because Rough is recessive, two smooth parents (if each are carrying the rough gene -- ie. being rough factored) can produce rough puppies, so they will often register the resulting rough puppies, as smooths, can depeding on who you are talking to, they call them smooth roughs.

Members online