Ear Infection and Allergies

Ivy

My poor Jabroni has developed an ear infection. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. His ear has started to smell bad too. I was suspecting an ear infection after Jabroni kept stratching at his ear too often. So I made an appointment with the vet and now it's starting to smell bad.

The vet said that it can be a classic case of allergies getting worse. But he won't know for sure until he sees Jabroni tomorrow. He has had allergies for a while now and I have been changing his food trying to figure out what is causing it. Right now he is eating a fish blend dog food, and I guess it made his allergies worse because he never got an ear infection before changing him to the fish blend.

Any suggestions on what food to try next? I feel really bad for him since his allergies has been bothering him for a while now.

MicksMom

Caleb is doing much better on the Natural Balance Limiited Ingredients line of foods. They're grain free. Look closely at the ingredient lable of what you're feeding. I knew Caleb couldn't have beef, but couldn't figure out why he was still getting ear infections on a Salmon food- turns out what I was feeding had animal fat in it. Non specific, which leads me to believe some of that animal fat was beef.

Also- how long has he been on the food he's eating now? It could take as long as 3 months before you see a change.

All that said, he could have an environmental allergy, either instead of or in addition to a food allergy.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I was also going to say that it may be an environmental allergy. Whenever the weather is damper outside and also when pollen is high, a couple of my dogs get ear problems.

Ivy

I took Jabroni to the vet and he gave him some pills to clear up his allergies and I changed him over to a grain free fish blend food. Once the pills are done and if Jabroni's allergies do not come back then we have hit the jackpot. My plan is to completely avoid the 5 main things that give dogs allergies: chicken, beef, lamb, wheat, and corn.

Now my question is: I used to give Jabroni rawhide to keep his teeth clean, but since rawhide is a beef product, what other options are there for teeth and gum maintenance as well as a fun thing for him to chew on and keep busy? (other than brushing his teeth, I already do that)

yes.. do agree on that.. avoid some foods that would trigger an allergy.. prevention is better than cure...

Members online