Using jewelry wire in oven?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Weird question.. but I thought someone here might know. I was at the craft store and wanted to get some modeling wire to use with my clay.. it was kinda costly.. but came across wire you would use for making jewelry?

Do you think, wrapped in clay... it would be okay to put into the oven? Clay pieces are put in for 30 mins at 230F. Or if the model wire in the clay section.. would be okay to put into the oven?

Thanks!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I use high fire wire that goes 3000 degrees in the gas kiln. IF your wire is ok for the temp your firing in, whatever kind of oven it should be all good.
You could always put a piece in as a tester.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Its just the oven in the kitchen.. regulare cooking oven. Also would be kinda concerned that the cooked metal would somewhat harm future food thats cooked??

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
then i would look for a high fire wire (our ceramic supply store has it) that would not melt at very low temps. I doubt your wire would melt at a couple hundred degrees but wouldn't know without giving it a try. The concern is more the chemicals released that you would be breathing then the future contamination of food.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the jewlery wire is fine, but most sculpy wont stick to it. to fish this go into the floral section and get floral tape, it comes in rolls and is like a self stick...yes its paper!

wrap the wire with a nice couple coverings of the floral tape and the sculpy/polymer clay will stick better, once covered in clay it will be perfectly fine baking at polymer temps

as with all polymers dont bake WITH food and let the oven air afterwards before using it to cook dinner. i suggest buying a small toaster oven

Members online

No members online now.