Q. Black discharge after whelping

skyeboxer

The sister of my neighbour's dog has just had an OOPS litter. Presa canario mother, unknown father, 9 pups. This is not a Christmas money making scheme because my neighbour (mother of the dog owner) has come to me to ask for my help in finding free to good homes.

Okay, please don't ask me why the owner didn't get the litter aborted or whatever because I don't know. I didn't even know the dog was pregnant until the puppers were born two days ago. Thing is they are here now and I'll do whatever I can to help them get good homes.

So ... on to the point of my post. I've never had any experience with dog breeding. Apparently the dam has a black discharge when she's going to the toilet. Is this normal or something to worry about? Far as I know the whole birthing was done without vetinary consultation whatsoever (I know, I know :mad: ) but should I be screaming at her to get the dog to the vet because of the discharge?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Dark green to nearly black is normal for several days post whelping.

It should have no foul odor, and I would be keeping the bitch's temp as well for 10 days or so post whelping.

All bitches should be seen once puppies are finished being born to make sure she is really empty and has not retained a puppy or placentas.

skyeboxer

Thank you for that Redyre,

I know the dog since she was a puppy and am really very fond of her. I will pass on the advice about the vet visit though I know I might as well be whistling in the wind.

R

RedyreRottweilers

You can let them know that IF she is not empty, and IF she gets an infection, she will develop poison milk, the puppies will die one by one, screaming, with foaming green stool, and the bitch will likely die as well.

Making sure a uterus is empty after whelping is very important.

bubbatd

She really should take the dog to her vet for the shot that will expel what ever is in the uterus . Yes, I had the dark green to black , but always took my females in within 24 hrs of welping . Breeding is not for the faint of heart or those light in the pocketbook .

Members online

No members online now.