Are kongs overrated?

Chyna usually doesn't play with her Kong when it's empty.
I only use it to fill with p-nut butter when I'm putting her in her crate when I have to leave, but lately I've been stuffing those sterile bones with the p-nut butter instead. Works just as well.

Pam

My dog loves hers. I think it just depends on the dog. Mine also loves the little mice they make for cats. When I got her, a friend said, "If you wanted a cat, you should have just gotten another cat." Ha ha. Maybe he's right...

Fran27 said:
It just crossed my mind that we all seem to give the 'peanut butter filled kong' advice when a dog is bored, but when I think of it, are kongs not overrated? Does any of you actually have a dog that will play with the kong when it's empty? Mine sure don't.

When you think about it, any other toy with a hole in it could do what kongs do just as well, plus they could occupy the dog the rest of the time as well.

Just something that occured to me, lol.
My mom's pit-greyhound mix carries her kongs around in her mouth all over the place and will sit them in your lap and stare at it lying there until you throw it for her XD Sometimes when you let her out to go in the yard she runs, gets her kong (or whatever toy she remembers where she left it) and then goes out. Also if you're outside she'll grab her kong, drop it at your feet, look up at you, and whine until you throw it.

She will fetch a kong (or really any hard rubber toy) for you forever. I'm convinced she would do it until her legs couldn't take it any more and fell off!

Bulldozer:

Can you see the greyhound?

I don't think I have any profile pictures of her head. God does it look greyhound. I even have a picture of a purebred greyhound whose head looks like bulldozers but minius the pitbulliness! She might have a little Rhodesian Ridgeback too judging by some common physical traits she and the breed possess.

Brattina88

I think that kongs are over-used and over-suggested. It's great for distracting and keeping a dog occupied so they aren't distructing something else. It's great for food motivated dogs. Carly isn't, so she doesn't play with it no matter what I put inside. I wish I wouldn't have wasted money on getting her the small sized one. Maddie loves hers, but doesn't get it that often. She hated it at first because of the bitter rubber taste. I had to run mine through the dishwasher before she would go crazy about getting the goods out. Now she plays with it even if its empty, but I mostly use it only when its neccissary.

Bulldozer has Kong everything....flying saucer, beehive, crazy bounce ball, round rubber ball, water fetch retrieve toy, regular bounce ball, bone shaped kong......she loves them all, with or without food.

:D :D :D :D

bubbatd

Chip's on his 3rd medium size...I got him the large, but he got too fat !!! It takes him 5 minutes to get anything out.... he doesn't play with it empty.... just keeps telling me to fill the d@mn thing ! Especially if I'm at the computer or on the phone. It's not a toy to him... it's an aggrivate Mom until I get my way thing. It's driving me nuts!!!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
kongs are a great tool to train dogs, especially puppies.

i agree that the peanutbutter stuffing is overrated and many people tend to give their dogs wayyyyy too much peanut butter, but the stuffing possibilities are endless.

it doesn't need to be a name brand kong tho, any hollow item that a dog can safely chew, and be left unsupervised with, serves the same purpose.

it's pretty incredible how well they work for training puppies, especially if they don't get any bowl fed meals at all for the first few weeks at their new home.

Members online

No members online now.