Single coated breeds...

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Name as many single coated breeds as you can. I really prefer single coated breeds and my next dog will likely be single coated (99% a Whippet) and I want to know all of the single coated dogs out there! At some point I really want a large single coated breed to be a bit of a deterrent to strangers when I have my own home with my sister (obviously that's not the only reason). I've been thinking dobe but I worry a little about ssa so I don't know about that.

Single coated breeds I can think of:

Dachshund
Chihuahua
Dobe
MinPin
Weim
Dane
Greyhound
Papillon maybe??

What am I missing? (Particularly large breeds).

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Flatcoats (though it's a long single coat obviously)
CKCS
Papillons
Catahoula
Chihuahua
Pretty much all the hounds
Poodles, Curly-Coats, PWDs
German Pinschers

I mean really the list is nearly endless and extremely varied...

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I'm not looking for anything in particular, just wondering what single coated breeds were out there that I didn't originally think of! It's not a breed for me thread or anything, just curious!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I did not know flat coats were single coated at all.

Yep, papillons are single-coated.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Staffordshire Bull Terriers!

Saxon has the least fur I've ever seen on a dog! His his chest has very short fur and his belly has no fur at all!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I did not know flat coats were single coated at all.
Yeah, most people don't. Including the rescue folks who label anything black, long-haired, and drop-eared a FCR ;)

It also means they dry in record time, which is handy since they tend to immerse themselves in anything liquid.

They still contribute their fair share to the shedding tumbleweeds, though. It may be a single coat but it's a dense single coat.

/me picks another fistful of coat out of her molting Cheeseface...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah, most people don't. Including the rescue folks who label anything black, long-haired, and drop-eared a FCR ;)

It also means they dry in record time, which is handy since they tend to immerse themselves in anything liquid.

They still contribute their fair share to the shedding tumbleweeds, though. It may be a single coat but it's a dense single coat.

/me picks another fistful of coat out of her molting Cheeseface...
Single long coats are pretty much the best coat type ever. So easy.

milos_mommy

Bloodhounds
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
American Pit Bull Terrier
Boston Terrier
French Bulldog
Short-haired Jack Russells? I think? You'd think I'd know this.
Smooth Fox Terrier
Rat Terrier
Viszla
Lots of Mastiffs...Old English, Neo, Cane Corso,
German Pinscher
Miniature Pinscher
Manchester terrier

Sorry for any repeats.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
GSP have single coats, though this isn't specified in the UK standard as such!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Yes thank you Milo, I forgot frenchies! How could I? A frenchie is at the top of my list for my next small dog tied with Chihuahua right now.

Torch

beagles
basset hounds
dobermans
Beagles aren't single-coated, they're described as having an undercoat in everything I've ever read. Plus they shed like crazy.

ETA: "The Beagle’s double coat is of medium length, dense, and weather-resistant to the point of being waterproof. In its hunting pursuits, that hard outercoat serves as body armor as it rambles through brambles and brush in pursuit of quarry, while its soft undercoat offers insulation against the cold." from dogchannel.com

Beagles aren't single-coated, they're described as having an undercoat in everything I've ever read. Plus they shed like crazy.

ETA: "The Beagle’s double coat is of medium length, dense, and weather-resistant to the point of being waterproof. In its hunting pursuits, that hard outercoat serves as body armor as it rambles through brambles and brush in pursuit of quarry, while its soft undercoat offers insulation against the cold." from dogchannel.com
AKC Standard:
Coat
A close, hard, hound coat of medium length. Defects--A short, thin coat, or of a soft quality.

I thought being single coated was a defining characteristic of a hound coat. Clearly, we need pictures of beagles and GSPs!

Members online

No members online now.