stopping the rat smell - also, bird keeping

mrose_s

BusterLove
okay, I'd like to get a rat in about a year or 2. But i promised myself no more caged animals till I have a cage big enough that is easy to clean. and i didn't want any other rats/mice/birds etc till aftre Panda because it would drive him mad.

with rats, is that stinky smell unstoppable? is it going to smell even if i clean it out every few days? if it is i won't be allowed one till i move out.
just wondering. i'd like to get 2 rats, probably a male and female but have the male desexed. But i want a cage big enough so that they will be happy in it during the day while i'm at work.

also, i'm interested in maybe getting a bird.
Leaning toward cockateal (sp?) or perhaps a budgie (can they be safe outside their cage? but again, wondering about the smell and noise?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
if your doing rats, their lifespan is so shot (in comparison) to the cost of the neuter its not worth it, besides, a same sex pair will get along much better...
females tend to be more inquisitive, males more cuddly...(personally I prefer the males there such lovebugs!)

rats are naturally clean critters, they tend to pick a corner to use as a bathroom, and will pick up their poop and move it over there. unfortunatly though rats are incontinent, so they cant conrtol where they pee...
however if you scoop out the poop and any wet patches daily youll notice there is very little smell.
if you scoop every day you can get away with scrubbing the cage once a week, a wire cage (NO WIRE FLOORS!) will keep the ventiliation up also helping with any smell.

there wonderufll pets, very inteligent and alot of fun!

budgies and teils can both be hand tamed and let out fo their cage, just not around the dogs or cats who tend to get excited by the fluttering and could hurt of terrify the bird by accident.
again keep the cage clean and there wont be any smell.

teils and budgies can pick up words and whitles, but they can be kinda loud (though nothing compared to a larger bird) budgies would eb the quietest and make excelent pets if raised properly, get a young handraised bird and continue to handle daily!

mrose_s

BusterLove
okay thanks. Rats amaze me, i think they're gorgeous but my mum really doesn't want me getting any so it probably won't happen till i move out anway lol

Dekka

Just try me..
Rats are great pets, and very trainable. Females smell much less. If its just the smell stopping you, if you clean the cage regularly there is not really any smell to speak of.

mrose_s

BusterLove
okay, my mothrs the only one i need to convince really, "I'd like my cage in my room i think. I love how much personality they have. and there is actually a rat rescue about 150kms away, so after i get my license i can go down there to pick one up :)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
just tell her, they are cleaner than cats in terms of bathing, and as inteligent as dogs in terms of trainability, they take up much less room and are much cheaper to feed than another dog or cat lol.

hedwig

i used to have a wire floor with my rat thats before i new they were frowned upon and bellow the wire, waste ued to fall through it so i bought a good quality kitty litter and kitty litter deodoriser and cleaned the corners everyday.

my rat had breathing problems and couldnt breath with shavings.

and i have two budgies myself and they are loud when they want to be, i dont here them most of the time but people i have lived with in the past have complained even though i cant hear them myself. you get used to it.

cokertiels are worse, i would get a budgie or something smaller like caneries or finches. they are beautifull and very pleasent to keep.

when it comes to buying one, find HAND REARED tamed birds, my birds are not tame so cannot be let loose as i cant catch them again, and tame birds are happy birds

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have two cockatiels, a male and female, the female is extremely quiet I don't think I have ever heard her make more than a few squeaks. Females, in my opinion, are also sweeter and more cuddlier than males.

Members online

No members online now.