Help! Bladder training problem/question for a 6 month old MiniSchnauzer

Goobiedogs

MiniSchnauzer Goobiedogs!
Hello all. I have 2 mini schnauzers, one is a male aged 1.6 years. When I got him at 10 weeks old, I trained him with NO wee wee pads and took him out every hour, and weaned down gradually. By 4 mths old, this dog was fully trained and never had an accident again. I take him out on a 10-20 min walk 3 xs a day.

Fast forward, in May we got another dog to keep him company from the same breeder. A girl Mini- aged 9 weeks. I trained her exactly the same way, I work from home so I was always home for both of them. For some reason, my mini girl has been very difficult to train. She was peeing every hour, poor little thing tried to go 4 times in one hour one night, so I got a sample of pee off the floor and took her to the vet the next day. A urine sample showed blood and crystals in the urine, so we treated her with antibiotics, and she never did that 4xs in one hour thing again, however she still was going frequently. We treated her with another round of antibiotics, for ecoli, and she appeared somewhat better, but never holding the urine more than 1.5 hours.

However, she holds it all night (and she sleeps on our bed now). She holds it always when crated (whenever we go out and they are home alone). So she does show she can hold it. The other thing was that a few times when my husband came home, she would leak urine on the floor in excitement (not submission). So we kinda figured out she has trouble holding it in times of excitment, but is it that or a training issue or a medical issue?

The vet took xrays and blood tests, she did not have stones or any kidney failure. But she still was peeing frequently. We could not tell if it was her age, her level of activity (always running and getting excited with my other dog), or that maybe I was giving her too much freedom to run and play and escape her pee.

So here we are, she is over 6 mths old, and luckily we are down to potty 6 times a day (it used to be 12!). But she still cannot seem to hold it when out of the crate and somewhat active with my other dog more than 2.5 -3 hours.

What do you guys think of this? I have read that excitement urination usually improves within 6 mths to one year (we never scold her, we know she cant hold it in during excited times, and we know any other time is probably our fault for giving her too much freedom or not watching closely enough).

I guess what I am asking is, how weird does it sound to you that a 6 mth old dog who was trained extremely consistently for outside potty, (without wee wee pads inside), walked 12 times a day for months, still will have an accident in the house during times of play with other dog if it has been more than 2.5 -3 hours? We have been a bit discouraged because we work sooo hard with training and have been consistent and our other guy was sooo easy to train, so we were surprised she has been so difficult despite our extreme consistency.

This dog knows she needs to go out, we have a bell attached to our door that she does ring sometimes but we try to beat her to it and take her out when they are playing hard and it has been about 2.5 hours (when she has shown she cant hold it).

Any thoughts? Does it sound medical, too much freedom, exciteable bladder? What do you experts think? Thanks! I look forward to your replies. I tend to think its exciteable bladder and the baby just cant hold it, because she has tried to make it to the out door several times and busts and just pees there. She truly tries to get out but it may be a minute before we see her at the door.

Goobiedogs

Did I post this in the wrong forum?

I was hoping someone would have advice or thoughts, did I post this in the wrong forum? Please let me know if I did and I will move it. Thanks.

Herschel

Some dogs take a year, some dogs never get it. Keep working on it with the same dedication that you've shown so far.

Every accident she has in the house is a setback. Are you cleaning up her accidents with Nature's Miracle or another enzymatic cleaner that will remove the scent?

Goobiedogs

Thank you

Thank you for your reply. These are our first dogs so we dont know what to go by, other than dog #1 who got it right away.

Yes, we use enzymatic products that remove the smell and clean up the urine as soon as it happens or we see it. I know the issue is not the smell, its not like she is going back to the same places. She literally just squats and goes whenever they are playing, wherever she may be.

I hope she gets it, I am putting so much work into this and cannot do much more other than crate her more often, which I think is unfair and cruel when they are growing dogs that want to play and be active.

Members online

No members online now.