One of those super girly threads about hair.

milos_mommy

Help?

My hair is really long, down past my waist, almost to my butt.

I wear it down sometimes, but usually I wear it up at work and if I'm outside because it gets tangled really fast in the wind and the dogs chew on it, so it's pulled into a bun like 85% of the time.

I'd like some ideas of keeping my hair back (or partially back) which are extremely easy and look cuter/less boring than just yanking it back into a ponytail or bun.

Pictures, articles, instructions, etc. all appreciated here. How do you do your hair?

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
When my hair was super long I would do braids and pigtails a lot. I know braids aren't necessarily "easy", but once you get the knack of them you can whip them up pretty quick.

Here's a page I just dug up on Google for a french braid...
How to Braid Your Hair: French Braids

You can also do an "upside down" french braid. Basically the exact same as the regular french braid, but you weave each section UNDER each other, instead of over. You end up with kind of a "3-D" braid that sits on top... it's a little less subtle than the normal french braid... (GRRRR!!! I can't find any pics of it! ... Hold on... I'll whip my hair up real quick and take a pic with my phone in a minute...)
ETA: pic!

(My hair is not cooperating today, and has decided it would be great to stick out all over the place... ignore that part...)

I'm also a fan of the "lazy pony bun". LOL! Where you start out making just a plain ol' pony tail, but with the last loop of the hairtie you don't pull the hair all the way through... so you have a big loop... essentially folding your hair into thirds.

The "flipped" ponytail is fun, too. Make a plain ponytail, then open up a space between the hairtie and your scalp, and then run the ponytail through the space. I'll take a pic of this real quick, too...
ETA: pic!

Hmmmm... that's all I've got off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I remember anything else. :p

Last edited:
M

MyHorseMyRules

You can also do an "upside down" french braid. Basically the exact same as the regular french braid, but you weave each section UNDER each other, instead of over. You end up with kind of a "3-D" braid that sits on top... it's a little less subtle than the normal french braid... (GRRRR!!! I can't find any pics of it! ... Hold on... I'll whip my hair up real quick and take a pic with my phone in a minute...)
It's called a fishbone or fishtail braid. It looks something like this:

When I had long hair I did a french braid a lot because it looked nice but when done wet sure kept it out of my face

And I LOVE the fishbone (or herringbone) braid

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Fishbone is done with 4 strands instead of three :)
Ahhhhh... yes, that is different. :)

OH! I just thought of one more... if you ever get your hands on one of those giant butterfly comb-clips, I liked to put my hair in a low ponytail (nape of the neck, and then use the clip to bring the ponytail straight up the back of my head and secure it there. Then just let the ends hang down from the top. You can experiment with how high or low to place the clip.

Also... I LOVE the Hairiagami!
hairagami : the art of folding hair
You can get them at Claire's in the mall, too, in a few different colors. It's basically two slap-bracelets sewn inside a fabric tube. You just sandwich the ends of your hair between the two halves of the Hairagami, roll it up to your head, and then use the slap-bracelet magic to pop it into a couple different kinds of bun. :)

Skivvies

I have shoulder length hair so I don't really know about other styles that hold up a lot of hair. But here are some ponytail/bun variations that I like...

Tease/poof the front...not to Snooki proportions or anything, but I like a little poof like this...

Add a decorative headband with a ponytail/bun

Cover the ponytail holder with a strand of hair

Members online

No members online now.