What breed would you recommend?

Toller_08

Maybe a Toller would be good for you? A female is usually no more than 37lbs. They're energetic and active, but aren't as intense as a Border Collie usually. I find them sort of similar to Aussies in temperament, just without the herding qualities, obviously. Most of the ones I know are nice and quiet, and great dogs in the house, as long as they recieve sufficient exercise. Dance doesn't run around all over the place like a maniac (actually, except for Morgan, none of my dogs ever have run around in the house very much). She plays with her toys on her own (or with me) without knocking into things and is very good at occupying herself. They do have a long coat, but I find it to be really low maintenance. I've never dealt with any mats with either Tango or Dance and I don't brush often. Usually once a week. And you might have a hard time finding one that's not a puppy, but they are out there. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that idea out there. I'm sure there's probably a few more that would suit you, but I can't think of anything at the moment.

milos_mommy

Toller is a maybe, around here it's hard to find a rescue or shelter one though, and i want to adopt. Idk, they've never struck me as a breed for me. You know how some breeds are just like "oh wow, i want one of those" and some aren't? I'm sure if i met the right Toller my mind would change ;)

Toller_08

I know what you mean - I feel the same about many breeds. I just thought I'd suggest them anyway though, just as something to possibly think about. :)

lizzybeth727

Great idea - I saw a toller win a national agility competition a year or two ago, it was just an amazing looking dog.

You're planning to adopt the dog, right? A rescue group that keeps dogs in foster homes would probably be the easiest route. Most of them list their dogs for adoption online (www.petfinder.com or other sites), and from there you can contact the foster home for info about energy level and temperment.

If you look for dogs in the shelter, you'll want to go for a dog that comes out to greet you as you walk by, makes eye contact without vocalizing at you, and comes back to you often once you take her out of her kennel (before she finds out that you have treats). You'll probably have to make several shelter visits before you find the right dog, but it will certainly be worth all the time and effort!

bubbatd

Seriously ... have you taken the dog ownership test ??? Everytime I do it , it still comes up Golden or Lab .

Dekka

Just try me..
around here tollers often beat BCs in agility. One of the top agility dogs year after year here in Canada is a toller. Great work ethics, and fantastic off switches.

RD

Are you dead yet?
mhm. Like, a great dane is huge, but they'd do okay in an apartment with sufficient exercise. But then, a border collie is about half their size, and would be zoomying all over the place, knocking stuff over.
Really? My dog is CHILL in the house. She knows inside is not the place for zoomies and while she keeps herself busy with toys, she's not a bull in a china shop. At all. And my house is (thanks to my meticulous parents) like a museum - so far Zaphod has caused a few hundred dollars worth of damage just by waltzing through the house - yet the 3 "crazy" Border Collies don't hurt a thing. I totally understand what Grammy is saying, but I have to defend BCs a little bit here. A lot of them are wild around the house only because people *allow* them to be.

Why do you feel it will be easier to own a dog if you have a yard? Dogs like BCs and Aussies often won't exercise themselves in a yard, they need to play fetch at a park, or do some obedience, or.. you get the point. I have a large fenced yard and frankly, when I let the dogs out, all the BCs go potty and then stand by the door and wait to be let in. They'd rather interact with you.

Dekka

Just try me..
Really? My dog is CHILL in the house. She knows inside is not the place for zoomies and while she keeps herself busy with toys, she's not a bull in a china shop. At all. And my house is (thanks to my meticulous parents) like a museum - so far Zaphod has caused a few hundred dollars worth of damage just by waltzing through the house - yet the 3 "crazy" Border Collies don't hurt a thing. I totally understand what Grammy is saying, but I have to defend BCs a little bit here. A lot of them are wild around the house only because people *allow* them to be.

Why do you feel it will be easier to own a dog if you have a yard? Dogs like BCs and Aussies often won't exercise themselves in a yard, they need to play fetch at a park, or do some obedience, or.. you get the point. I have a large fenced yard and frankly, when I let the dogs out, all the BCs go potty and then stand by the door and wait to be let in. They'd rather interact with you.
So true.. My JRTs are some of the most chill dogs in the house that I know of. But RD you are obviously good with BC, not all BC are chill in the house (and I am convinced it is environmental)

mrose_s

BusterLove
Pyrenean Shepherd

I'd love one one day but I doubt there are any breeders here, I found three registered in the US but they were all show line ones.
Their gorgeous little dogs though.

I could see a boston doing agility if it wasn't extremely hot out. In fact I'd love to have Joey try it out, but I think I'll start with the basic obedience class he missed out on last summer when he had surgery. Bostons definitely aren't what I would call mellow. Joey has play mode and sleep mode.....that's about it. He's very busy inside the apartment. He's either pestering Roxie to play him, pestering the cats to play with him, pestering me to play with him, or he's getting into mischief. Well, if he's not doing any of those he could be napping so he can build up some more energy to pester us later. :) I love him to death though and I wouldn't have him any other way! He's a great size for the apartment (for weight restrictions) and he's a fantastic snuggler! Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with a boston in case it helps you a bit. Good luck on your search!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Well, lets see, has ACD been suggested? They are pretty sturdly little dogs, (I say little, but they really arent) and a female and Milo should get along well. Or a Kelpie. What about a Beauceron? (sp???)

Also, maybe check out these breeds, (I took a few tests using your requirements, or as best I could anyway...)

German Wirehaired Pointer, NSDTR (tollers), I already said ACD and Aussies. Those four consistantly came up, along with poodles and schnauzers.

Dekka

Just try me..
LOL Kelpies are for people who thing BC are to quiet and relaxed. But if you want something no one else will have, but that seems to meet all your criteria (I have only met a few in real life) how about Berger de Picard? So cute! linky

milos_mommy

If i have a yard, i'm not going to stick the dogs outside and expect them to exercise themselves. I'll be outside running around and throwing a ball and doing agility and whatever with them. If i end up in an apartment, it will be likely the dogs will only get offleash time outside a few times a week and not every day. A smaller dog IS able to run around inside without causing complete chaos. They can dart between furniture and under tables and chase a ball across a room. I don't think a yard makes it easier to own a dog. I think a yard makes it easier to own a high energy large dog. Plus in an apartment, weight restrictions almost always apply.

again, by mellow, i don't mean calm or lazy, i mean easygoing. Milo's going to take other dogs toys. If the other dog growls, Milo is going to freak out. Milo is going to try and play with another dog when the other dog doesn't want to play. If the other dog tries to tell Milo off, Milo might freak out. I'm looking for a dog that's going to be able to walk away instead of fueling the fire.

Actually, i was never particularly interested in Bostons until i came to Chaz. Joey's just so adorable! He seems like he'd fit into our family, and then someone posted a video of their Boston doing agility.

I loveeeee ACDs. They're some hardy dogs, but i don't know if i'd want one. Kelpies...haha. I know a little Kelpie girl. She's nuts. She's like a girl version of Milo, except less bossy and more hyper. Kelpies (or at least she is) are like border collies on crack.

AND OMGGG that Berger Picard!! I've never even heard of those before but they are so cute! I seriously want one. Just to cuddle! Butttt, remember i'm rescuing. I feel like finding a rescuable Picard in the US would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Dekka

Just try me..
LOL you never know.. there could be a dog that was kept for breeding that turns out to not be breeding material that needs to be rescued :D (they are sooo adorable)

RD

Are you dead yet?
ACDs are lovely but they're a LOT more belligerent than what you're looking for in a match for Milo, I think.

I dunno, I still say rescue BC. Most BCs (two out of my three, anyway) are very passive with other dogs and it takes a lot to get them to respond defensively.

milos_mommy

Grace, right now it's pretty much aussie/bc as my top choice if get a place with a yard (or with a dogpark literally down the street).

I agree about ACDs being belligerent, that's a perfect word to describe them.

again, by mellow, i don't mean calm or lazy, i mean easygoing. Milo's going to take other dogs toys. If the other dog growls, Milo is going to freak out. Milo is going to try and play with another dog when the other dog doesn't want to play. If the other dog tries to tell Milo off, Milo might freak out. I'm looking for a dog that's going to be able to walk away instead of fueling the fire.

Actually, i was never particularly interested in Bostons until i came to Chaz. Joey's just so adorable! He seems like he'd fit into our family, and then someone posted a video of their Boston doing agility.
Ahh, now I understand. Joey is VERY good about letting other dogs steal toys from him. Roxie takes his toys all the time and he usually just walks away and finds something else to chew on. Or he'll try to initiate a game of tug with the toy. He's never snarky about it. But he's also a very submissive dog, so that has a lot to do with it. He's sends you some boston kisses for calling him adorable by the way! I hope you find your perfect dog, whatever breed it turns out to be!

Members online

No members online now.