What do you suggest for novice dog owners?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
depends so much on the specific person, the family situation, where the dog would be living and what there looking for in a dog.

goldens and labs are great breeds, but would have never fit my family...the cocker spaneil was our best fit and the breed i grew up with...

for me personaly id have to say the chihuahuas were the perfect first dog for me (despite their difficulties)

RD

Are you dead yet?
There is no ideal "beginner dog". People should pick the breed that suits them best, not the dog that people say new dog owners should own. I love Labs and Goldens but they're not perfect dogs and they don't give new dog owners an easier ride than any other breed.

bubbatd

^^^ Agree !!! There are many golden or lab mixes wanting homes .

Dekka

Just try me..
Interesting, I would never suggest a young lab as a first dog. I do agree with going through a rescue, because they will be able to help the first time dog owner figure out what they can live with, and provide on going support (so will breeders but it so much more difficult with puppies)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
There is no ideal "beginner dog". People should pick the breed that suits them best, not the dog that people say new dog owners should own. I love Labs and Goldens but they're not perfect dogs and they don't give new dog owners an easier ride than any other breed.
I second this. :) You would need to know situation, family, living conditions, in school or not, childen, ect.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Depends on the owner.
When I went to the first puppy class (sans puppy) we were all asked if anyone was a first time dog owner.
I raised my hand, the trainer raised her eyebrows a bit.

At the end of the course she told me that first night she almost paniced because the lady who had never had a dog had German Shepherd next to her name
:)
I was the only one to show up for every class.
I was the only one who had obviously done all the homework.
I was the only one who was also obviously reading/talking/etc outside of class as well.

So with the right commitment, support, etc a novice owner can have any dog they choose. It just might take a WHOLE lot more work
:)

Members online

No members online now.