This really grinds my gills

Romy

Taxiderpy
I wonder if the CKC would be interested in revoking their registration, if they really are registered.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
My guess is that the puppy is registered with The Continental Kennel Club, which is a crap registry for bybs/mills/etc., and not The Canadian Kennel Club. Unfortunately both are abbreviated CKC and I think the confusion often benefits the Continental Kennel Club breeders.

The title of this thread is grinds my gears, silly phone :p

Bit yeah, there are quite a few people who like to sell super spendy mixed breed "registered" dogs in my areaarea

Honestly, the more of these mixes I encounter, the less it bothers me. I don't understand why people spend that much money on them, but I don't understand why people spend "that much" money on a LOT of things I don't value.

MicksMom

My guess is that the puppy is registered with The Continental Kennel Club, which is a crap registry for bybs/mills/etc., and not The Canadian Kennel Club. Unfortunately both are abbreviated CKC and I think the confusion often benefits the Continental Kennel Club breeders.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Snark

Mutts to you
A gal at work was looking for a Great Dane to adopt, but the local rescue asked questions she was uncomfortable answering (ie, how much did she and her husband make per year) and also told her their application fee was unrefundable and couldn't guarantee she would even get a reply to her application. It's a wonder any dogs get adopted... But I digress...

She decided to look online and found Great Dane/Bull Terrier mixes being sold as the next 'new' breed - 'Great Dane Bull'. :eek: Anyone heard of them?

A gal at work was looking for a Great Dane to adopt, but the local rescue asked questions she was uncomfortable answering (ie, how much did she and her husband make per year) and also told her their application fee was unrefundable and couldn't guarantee she would even get a reply to her application. It's a wonder any dogs get adopted... But I digress...

She decided to look online and found Great Dane/Bull Terrier mixes being sold as the next 'new' breed - 'Great Dane Bull'. :eek: Anyone heard of them?

I hear ya on the rescues. I'm a raw feeder and own intact dogs which mean I'm automatically disqualified from adopting around here.

Never heard of that mix but good lord it sounds awful! :eek:

Eh, from my experience most rescues that are strict have been burned one too many times. They also often will relax their rules for the right home and if one works with them. And then there are also a TON of rescues that have less strict rules and adopt all over the country. After seeing the lies people come up with, the disregard for life some people have after trying to adopt a dog etc I cant really blame rescues for often being over cautious.

LauraLeigh

Overly cautious is one thing, I'd flip at non refundable apps with no promise of ever getting a rescue, and would be comfortable being asked if I could afford the dog, but my income? Yeah NO

many of the apps I have seen include income.

Non refundable app fee I am not ok with but again, likely they do that because of all the people who put apps in who never follow through.

LauraLeigh

many of the apps I have seen include income.

Non refundable app fee I am not ok with but again, likely they do that because of all the people who put apps in who never follow through.
The reason I have an issue with that, besides privacy, is that I simply do not believe income equals ability to or willingness to provide care... I know people who'd look amazing on paper based solely on income, however figure in lifestyle and massive debts and they're not in as good of shape as someone making considerably less, with little to no debt who is careful and smart with their income...

Also, income just tells you theoretically how much someone might be capable of spending on a pet, it doesn't have anything to do with how much someone is willing to spend on a pet.

The reason I have an issue with that, besides privacy, is that I simply do not believe income equals ability to or willingness to provide care... I know people who'd look amazing on paper based solely on income, however figure in lifestyle and massive debts and they're not in as good of shape as someone making considerably less, with little to no debt who is careful and smart with their income...
This! If rescues saw what we make on paper they would be chomping at the bit to adopt to us, add to that we have a fully fenced yard, own out place and all our pets are altered wowza it's the trifecta! In reality macdonalds pays $16 an hour here so six figure in comes are pretty much the norm.

Yeah, but the rescuers I know that ask that dont use it as a base for adopting to or not....its a very small piece of the puzzle. (One person I know specifically asks it because she uses a standard application but she never denies based on that)

Members online

No members online now.