I *hate* chain leashes!

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Dog laying on a sofa sleeping wearing an e-collar. Not a bark collar, remote e-collar. Really?

/rant :)
Ummm rage's has an ID tag on it (because she wears it hunting) and sometimes I get home, turn if off, and just don't feel like switching her collars - especially if I plan on taking her out the next night.

CaliTerp07

Meh, to each and all their own.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of leather--I think it's ugly. I much prefer the look of nylon. I imagine there are just as many people who think that metal chains are more attractive.

My grandparents used a metal leash to walk their rottie mix when she was younger. She was a crazy leash biter, and walking on the metal leash prevented that. Once she was a better walker, they could go to a normal nylon leash.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I think I must be missing something, I don't really see how a chain lead makes any difference in training a dog?

Surely a lead does the same whether its chain, nylon, leather etc?
I have several clients who come in thinking you can't train a leash biter to not bite a leash. Pulling takes time, leash biting is a breeze IMO but people don't try and just get the painful chain leads. Yuck.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Meh, to each and all their own.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of leather--I think it's ugly. I much prefer the look of nylon. I imagine there are just as many people who think that metal chains are more attractive.
For me it hasn't an iota to do with the look and everything to do with the pain of wrapping one around your hand or grabbing it anywhere but the handle.

No chain leashes for me. They always seem to come in on dogs that need a sudden wrapping of the leash around the arm, and you can't do that with chain. I feel the same way about flexis on most dogs, although I have used them successfully with mine in the right situation.

Saeleofu

For me it hasn't an iota to do with the look and everything to do with the pain of wrapping one around your hand or grabbing it anywhere but the handle.
Ditto that! Nylon leashes HURT if a dog pulls for any reason. I actually just got Logan a leather harness because I hate the feel of nylon. Since I hold the harness handle pretty much any time I have him out, I need it to be comfortable.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Gah, Nylon can leave a NASTY burn on your hand if it gets jerked out suddenly. (Thanks Oz, btw)

I've never had that problem with leather! :D

TicTacTug

I've never used a chain lead. Thought about it when my dog was a puppy and leash biting (bitter spray didn't phase her, and I kept getting it in my own mouth after touching the leash)... never actually got one though.

My main lead is made of denim; it's very soft compared to the nylon leads I've tried, and comfortable to hold/wrap. Never used leather, so I don't know how it would compare to that.

Oh I hate using a leather leash! My dogs all have light chain leashes. I don't wrap, because I have the dogs under voice control ninety percent of the time. The leather is just so inflexible and just...blah. Plus with a chain leash I don't have to worry about weather damage or anything. Just clip it on and let's go! -shrug- to each his own.

smeagle

Oh I hate using a leather leash! My dogs all have light chain leashes. I don't wrap, because I have the dogs under voice control ninety percent of the time. The leather is just so inflexible and just...blah. Plus with a chain leash I don't have to worry about weather damage or anything. Just clip it on and let's go! -shrug- to each his own.
Inflexible? You mustn't have very soft leather because mine is super soft and flexible - not like the kind you buy at the store that's hard as rock.

I have a lot of leather leashes (LOL I am a bit obsessed) but my oldest one would be around 7 years old now, I've never treated it, it gets wet all the time, we live in Australia so the heat here is pretty intense. I've never had a problem with it wearing and it just got softer and softer over the years. I'm also really lazy and don't look after them at all, they are kept in my training bag or hung up inside.

ETA: not trying to argue btw just found your reasoning interesting!

Members online

No members online now.