What breed of dog is this?

kylereu

OK every one, I have been looking at the Teddy Bear bread of dogs for a little while now. Have been looking to get one but waiting to come across that "perfect" one for me and my wife. I came across something interesting though today on google, it was a picture of a dog. I have never seen a dog like this and there is nothing on the website for describing the dog except for " The Teddy Bear Dog". Now I have seen many different Teddys now but not one like this and I am wondering if it is actually a Teddy Bear or a different breed. I hope that every one can help me out. Here is a picture:

looks like a pom with a haircut.

there is no such thing as a teddy bear breed. please dont buy a breed based on looks. it normally doesnt work out well. buy a breed that fits your lifestyle, temperment, energy level, shedding/brushing requirments ect

Maxy24

Teddy Bear dogs are mixed breeds, they can end up looking like anything really, there should be quite a variation in looks considering they can be toy poodle, bichon or shih tzu combined in any way. If that is a real picture (it has a fake look to it) then it may or may not be an actual mix of those breeds. it's picture could have been called "teddy bear dog" because the dog just looks like a teddy bear, not because that is his "breed". He mainly looks like a teddy bear because of his hair cut. kinda looks like a Pomeranian mix to me.

Why do you want one of these mixes? It is not a breed of dog so you don't really know what sort of temperament or look they will have...They could act or look like a Shih tzu, a Bichon or a Poodle depending on how the genetics play out and what breeds are used by the breeder you go to. If there is something specific you want in the dog a mixed breed puppy may not be the best route. Either a purebred puppy or an adult mix or purebred would be more likely to get you what you want.

What exactly are you looking for in a dog?
check out Pomeranian mixes on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

kylereu

Teddy Bear

Teddy bear is a bread of dog, it is a type of hybrid Teddy Bear Puppies for Sale

My mom has a teddy bear designer dog. She has had it for almost two years now and it is a great dog. Hers is a mix of three dogs I think toy poodle, bichon frise, and another breed that I can not come to think of right now. Any way, as I said in my original post, I have been looking for some time now, I have not decided on this breed because of its looks alone. I am basing my decision on personal experience of my mothers. We have a teacup yorkie now and plays great with my mothers dog. I am just trying to figure out if this is a teddy bear dog in the picture because I just never seen one like this. By the way I never thought about that but now that you mention it, I just had fond memories coming back from childhood sitting in my room at night scared that my stuffed animals were looking at me and waiting for me to fall asleep so they could play.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Teddy bear is a bread of dog, it is a type of hybrid Teddy Bear Puppies for Sale

My mom has a teddy bear designer dog. She has had it for almost two years now and it is a great dog. Hers is a mix of three dogs I think toy poodle, bichon frise, and another breed that I can not come to think of right now. Any way, as I said in my original post, I have been looking for some time now, I have not decided on this breed because of its looks alone. I am basing my decision on personal experience of my mothers. We have a teacup yorkie now and plays great with my mothers dog. I am just trying to figure out if this is a teddy bear dog in the picture because I just never seen one like this. By the way I never thought about that but now that you mention it, I just had fond memories coming back from childhood sitting in my room at night scared that my stuffed animals were looking at me and waiting for me to fall asleep so they could play.
the article you quotes says its perfectly: " Teddy Bear dogs are considered "designer" crosses and are bred solely for appearance, rather than temperament, health or functionality. "

Go to a shelter or rescue, and find a cute fluffy dog that fits your needed and NEEDS a home. don't support these breeders, they are ONLY out to make money and don't really care about the dogs they are creating

kylereu

the article you quotes says its perfectly: " Teddy Bear dogs are considered "designer" crosses and are bred solely for appearance, rather than temperament, health or functionality. "

Go to a shelter or rescue, and find a cute fluffy dog that fits your needed and NEEDS a home. don't support these breeders, they are ONLY out to make money and don't really care about the dogs they are creating
Actually this is where we are looking and why it is taking us so long to get one. We got our teacup yorkie from the shelter, we were actually looking for a different dog there that day and happened to see her and fell in love. I agree on the looks part but you dont buy a dog that you get not at all on its looks, of coarse you find the breed that best suites you and then you start looking for it, you find the one that is the best one for you and the one that you think is "cute". Not disagreeing with you at all I am just saying that I wanted to let you know that is not what we are doing at all is buying a dog because of just its looks. If we had the money to buy one $800-$1,500, I dont know maybe we would but we have always gone to the shelters for our dogs growing up and I just did the same with my last two dogs. The dog my mom has now is not from a shelter but like I said, I dont have that kinda money to put down on a dog to purchase it. After the purchase there is vet fees as well as many other small fees here and there that can quickly total in themselves $800.00. Maybe we wont find a Teddy Bear and we might just have happen to us like how we got our dog we have now, looking for the Teddy at the shelter we might just find a dog that we fall in love with and then it wont matter any more. For now though this is what we are searching for. The reason for the post though was not about us getting a teddy, I was wondering if any one knew what type of dog was in the picture. I have looked at some Poms now with short hair because of some of the comments posted now and I have seen some with very similar looks. The only thing I have not seen the same is the ears in the picture, the real fluffy thick hair around the ears.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
1: theres no such breed as a teddy bear dog...
it is NOT a hybrid, it is a MIXED breed...

*a HYBRID is a mix of 2 different species form the same family, a wolf x dog is a hybrid, a lion x tiger is a hybrid, a zebra x donkey is a hybrid...
dogs no matter what BREED are all DOGS, therefore mixing a poodle with a bichon is creating a mix, aka MUTT NOT a hybrid!

2: the dog in the picture looks to be either a badly bred pom (the muzzle is too wide and the ears too large) thats been shaved in such a way...or more likely a poweranian mized with either a bichon, poodle or any combination thereof, and again clipped into such a way as to make it look like that. (if you look close you can see the hair has a slightly curely texture.)

3: if your looking for a dog like that i hope your also expecting a lot of grooming, a trim like that (which is what youll need to acheive that "teddy" look is going to set you back $60-$100, mabe even more, and will need to be done every 4-8 weeks...

4: heres a pet peve of mine...there is NO SUCH THING as a "TEACUP" anything, no teacup chihuahaus, no teachup yorkies...
teacup is just a high fashion word used by unscrupulous "breeders" mills and petshops to put a higher price on an undersized puppy...these undersized dogs are generally nto as strong health wise and otherwise known as runts...
or they are simply normal sized but people dont do their reaserch to find out how big their breed should be according to standard...

PLEASE, do not be sucked in by the desighner hype, dogs like this are bred for looks alone, often letting temperment and health fall to the weighside...
what would happen if you found your ideal "teddy bear" get it home and all is good but then you find out its got a liver shunt, has seveir epilepsy, its hips or knees are bad, or its got a very nasty temperment...
these are all too commonly found.

searching the shelters is WONDERFULL...but you wont find any dog in a shelter labled as a teddy bear dog, you also wont find them clipped like that...
instead look at the shelters for a poodle, pom or bichon mix with the temperment to properly fit your family.

as a side note:
is it just me or does that little dog look overweight? it may just be how the person is holing him in the picture but that looks like one big pot belly..

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I thought it looked like an Ewok from Star Wars (Return of the Jedi)

kylereu

Breed

1: theres no such breed as a teddy bear dog...
it is NOT a hybrid, it is a MIXED breed...

*a HYBRID is a mix of 2 different species form the same family, a wolf x dog is a hybrid, a lion x tiger is a hybrid, a zebra x donkey is a hybrid...
dogs no matter what BREED are all DOGS, therefore mixing a poodle with a bichon is creating a mix, aka MUTT NOT a hybrid!

2: the dog in the picture looks to be either a badly bred pom (the muzzle is too wide and the ears too large) thats been shaved in such a way...or more likely a poweranian mized with either a bichon, poodle or any combination thereof, and again clipped into such a way as to make it look like that. (if you look close you can see the hair has a slightly curely texture.)

3: if your looking for a dog like that i hope your also expecting a lot of grooming, a trim like that (which is what youll need to acheive that "teddy" look is going to set you back $60-$100, mabe even more, and will need to be done every 4-8 weeks...

4: heres a pet peve of mine...there is NO SUCH THING as a "TEACUP" anything, no teacup chihuahaus, no teachup yorkies...
teacup is just a high fashion word used by unscrupulous "breeders" mills and petshops to put a higher price on an undersized puppy...these undersized dogs are generally nto as strong health wise and otherwise known as runts...
or they are simply normal sized but people dont do their reaserch to find out how big their breed should be according to standard...

PLEASE, do not be sucked in by the desighner hype, dogs like this are bred for looks alone, often letting temperment and health fall to the weighside...
what would happen if you found your ideal "teddy bear" get it home and all is good but then you find out its got a liver shunt, has seveir epilepsy, its hips or knees are bad, or its got a very nasty temperment...
these are all too commonly found.

searching the shelters is WONDERFULL...but you wont find any dog in a shelter labled as a teddy bear dog, you also wont find them clipped like that...
instead look at the shelters for a poodle, pom or bichon mix with the temperment to properly fit your family.

as a side note:
is it just me or does that little dog look overweight? it may just be how the person is holing him in the picture but that looks like one big pot belly..

Foxy, you are right my mistake. Most of the time they are "toy" which gets referred to a lot as teacup. The AKC recognizes the toy breeds, although the yorkie does not get recognized by this breed type by the AKC. Our yorkie is very small compared to other yorkies. When we picked ours out from the shelter we were told that she came from a puppy mill in our area. We are aware that this is why she is small and are aware that she could have health problems because of being a puppy mill puppy. We hope that she will not. Thank you Foxy though for pointing out my error.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
teacups is a pet peeve of mine as ive worked with chihuahaus since i was very very young...i cant tell you how mnay times im told my 3lb chihuahua is a "teacup" and i always feel the need to correct them, that no, hes not a teacup, i keep those at home in the cabinate, hes simply a chihuahua on the smaller end of the standard.

YodelDogs

I used to clip my Pomeranian to look like that. You could probably clip any double-coated breed to look similarly if you like that look.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Isn't that that "Mr. Bo Jangles" dog or whatever? The lady found him on a railroad track and has made a few calendars out of him.

Grab

Looks like a not well bred Pom or a Pom mix with a haircut.

Regarding Yorkies, there are no "toy" yorkies, because at a proper size, the breed is under 7 lbs...which is a pretty small dog. You'll see not to standard Yorkies that are above that, but it doesn't mean that's the norm. The tiny Yorkies are simply dogs that are smaller than normal.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Foxy, you are right my mistake. Most of the time they are "toy" which gets referred to a lot as teacup. The AKC recognizes the toy breeds, although the yorkie does not get recognized by this breed type by the AKC. Our yorkie is very small compared to other yorkies. When we picked ours out from the shelter we were told that she came from a puppy mill in our area. We are aware that this is why she is small and are aware that she could have health problems because of being a puppy mill puppy. We hope that she will not. Thank you Foxy though for pointing out my error.
Actually, Yorkies (aka Yorkshire Terriers) ARE in the AKC Toy group. :)

Members online

No members online now.