Diarrhea ... any medication

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Is there any medication for diarrhea ? I have been to 2 vets. already and none was prescribed ? Isn't there anything, even home recipe, that will stop or at least control it ? Also, if a dog has diarrhea, wouldn't it need to go several times in short while ?

Thanks

Saje

Island dweller
try yogurt with live cultures (do a search, Mordy has recommended some common brands)

and PLAIN canned pumpkin (this really helps both diarrhea and constipation

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Saje said:
try yogurt with live cultures (do a search, Mordy has recommended some common brands)

and PLAIN canned pumpkin (this really helps both diarrhea and constipation

Thanks Saje. I'll try that.
Much appreciated.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Saje said:
No prob. Make sure you get plain pumpkin not pie filling. :D
Sorry for my ignorance, how would I know the difference ? Also, I came across Gastriplex on the internet, has anyone used it ?

doberkim

Naturally Natural
diarrhea is not a disease, its a symptom.

if your dog STILL has diarrhea, please see a different vet. there may be something wrong with your pup, and you need to address this. this has been going on awhile, hasnt it?

Saje

Island dweller
JoyfulRoy said:
Sorry for my ignorance, how would I know the difference ? Also, I came across Gastriplex on the internet, has anyone used it ?
I don't know anything about Gastriplex. And you'll know the difference by reading the can. One will say pumpkin pie filling and the other will say canned pumpkin. They are usually in the same section. Plain pumpkin won't have nutmeg, cinnamon... in it.

Saje

Island dweller
doberkim said:
diarrhea is not a disease, its a symptom.

if your dog STILL has diarrhea, please see a different vet. there may be something wrong with your pup, and you need to address this. this has been going on awhile, hasnt it?
She should. And it has. She's quite worried about her dog and has been to a few vets. I do believe she is still working on it.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Saje said:
She should. And it has. She's quite worried about her dog and has been to a few vets. I do believe she is still working on it.
Despite what I am going thru and it's really stressful, I couldn't but laugh to death reading about myself as "she" ROFL
Saje, I am a guy, 42 years old and happily married to a very lovely and an extremely understanding woman ROFL again.
Thank God she doesn't log on to this froum :D
No offence taken .... it was just sooo funny reading about myself as a "she"

Concerning Roy, I have been to the vet this afternoon, a different one. They will be doing another fecal exam for parasites and bacteria again. In the meantime, I am trying anything that will control his extremely soft poop. I am not even sure it's diarrhea. He goes only twice/day. How can this be diarrhea ?

Regards
JoyfulRoy is "HE" .... hehehe :D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
doberkim pointed out an important detail: diarrhea isn't an illness by itself, it is a sighn that there is an underlying problem the body tries to deal with.

the best thing to do (if there's no underlying problem that your vet has confirmed) is to fast the dog a few days to give the digestive tract a chance to heal and recover, and then start back up with a bland diet, such as for example boiled chicken and rice.

as long as the body has to use its resources for digesting food, it can't fully focus on healing, that's why fasting is so important. many animals already know this and refuse food to begin with, but often owners are concerned and want to get their pet to eat at all cost, which is not a good idea, especially if the dog also runs a fever.

if stools are a little loose, pumpkin (and some other natural remedies) are a great way to get things under control, but full-blown diarrhea, especially if it is going on for any unreasonably long amount of time, is nothing to fool around with.

if the dog is otherwise ok, my preferred course of action would be a 2-3 day fast (young puppies no longer than 24 hours tho), with honey water or thin vegetable broth without solids as the only "food" given during this time. giving pedialyte is a good idea, to restore electrolyte balance.

after the fast i'd start slowly with a bit of slippery elm bark mush and small amounts of bland food.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Mordy said:
doberkim pointed out an important detail: diarrhea isn't an illness by itself, it is a sighn that there is an underlying problem the body tries to deal with.

the best thing to do (if there's no underlying problem that your vet has confirmed) is to fast the dog a few days to give the digestive tract a chance to heal and recover, and then start back up with a bland diet, such as for example boiled chicken and rice.

as long as the body has to use its resources for digesting food, it can't fully focus on healing, that's why fasting is so important. many animals already know this and refuse food to begin with, but often owners are concerned and want to get their pet to eat at all cost, which is not a good idea, especially if the dog also runs a fever.

if stools are a little loose, pumpkin (and some other natural remedies) are a great way to get things under control, but full-blown diarrhea, especially if it is going on for any unreasonably long amount of time, is nothing to fool around with.

if the dog is otherwise ok, my preferred course of action would be a 2-3 day fast (young puppies no longer than 24 hours tho), with honey water or thin vegetable broth without solids as the only "food" given during this time. giving pedialyte is a good idea, to restore electrolyte balance.

after the fast i'd start slowly with a bit of slippery elm bark mush and small amounts of bland food.
As usual Mordy, fast and extremely helpful and detailed in your responses. Maybe you were posting your response at the exact same time I was posting mine. The problem is I can't decide if it's diarrhea. He goes only twice/day and sometimes once. The stool is very soft though. I've always thought that diarrhea means going more than once in short time several times a day.

diarreah

when my dog had that problem, the vet told me to give her pepto-bismol. It worked great, but it was a one-time occurrance. Has your vet tried anything like that?

jackandjill

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
jackandjill said:
when my dog had that problem, the vet told me to give her pepto-bismol. It worked great, but it was a one-time occurrance. Has your vet tried anything like that?

jackandjill
Nope .... both vets I have been to wanted fecal exam and that was it.
I am getting helpful advice on this forum more than I am getting from vets that charge hundreds of $ each visit. I think Chazhound should start charging .... just kidding :)

Saje

Island dweller
Mordy said:
Yup she did. I was just trying to catch her up that HE ;) is indeed talking to several vets.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
what kind of food is your dog on? My lab had really bad allergies to lamb meal and rice and her stool was really soft like you had mentioned. Maybe he has an allergy to something in his food.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
juliefurry said:
what kind of food is your dog on? My lab had really bad allergies to lamb meal and rice and her stool was really soft like you had mentioned. Maybe he has an allergy to something in his food.
He used to be on Iams Smart Puppy until his illness. Iams caused him tooooo much wax in his ears. I had to clean them twice/week. He got sick with coccidia and I switched him to Eukanuba Low Res. as advised by the vet and the breeder for about 3 weeks and started gradually giving him Royal Canin. He's been on it for about 2 weeks now.
BTW, since I stopped Iams I have never cleaned his ears. Not a tiny teenie bit of wax ,,,, I was amazed.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I am not a vet by any means, but it sounds to me that your dog's digestive system may still be adjusting to the new food, especially since this is the third food he has been exposed to in the past month. Try what Mordy suggested and see how that does.

I did notice that when I fed Royal Canin that my dog's stools did have a tendency to be a bit softer than 'normal', but otherwise they were healthy. Soft stools should be monitored, but diahrrea is more liquid-y and stronger smelling. And yes, they will go mulitple times.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
OK ... an update

Roy's third fecal exam results came back and the results are :

1. He is coccidia and giardia negative.
2. Positive for an intestinal bacterial overgrowth of Clostridium perfringens.
Anyone heard of or had an experience with this bacteria.

He has been prescribed Tylosin for 14 days which I started tonight.

Thanks

Jynx

I'm glad you've finally gotten some sort of diagnosis, it's so much more frustrating when you can't get anything definitive.

I have heard of bacterial stomache problems..A person I know on another board, I believe her GSD had some sort of bacterial stomache problem at one time..She is the owner of this site:
http://pub143.ezboard.com/bgsdlounge
Her name is Kallie...She doesn't post much, but maybe you could go there and ask her.
Diane

Members online

No members online now.