Basic Training through PetSmart

It's nobody's first choice - at least, it may not be here ;) But I am considering entering Toby into a PetSmart 'Beginners' obedience training class.

He has all of his basics down, but you can't enter the next level without prerequisites. I know it's not ideal, but I thought it might help with his excitability around new and unfamiliar dogs to be taking a class with them where we can work on being calm in a group before I get heavy into agility with him.

I still don't know if he can/should do agility with his leg... we have vet approval but sometimes he's tripodal and that just makes me weary of going for it.

With his beginners certificate, I was also thinking we'd go to a St John's Ambulance class so he can come into the hospital and visit people.

Has anybody done the PetSmart classes and enjoyed the experience?

JacksonsMom

I really think it's more dependent on the individual trainers and different locations. I've heard of some people who LOVED the training/trainers at the one Petsmart location near me, and then I heard a few other stories from a different location that are not-so-good. Maybe look around online a bit and see if you can find reviews for your local store? Or walk in there one day and watch a class going on?

AmberD

Did they tell you you can't take the Intermediate w/o the Beginner class? Last I knew, that was not true. If you talk directly to the trainer, you should be able to show that you have the basic requirements to move on. I had no problem putting Bogart into the Intermediate class, and it wasn't special treatment because I worked there. That was also 5+ years ago, but I don't think that should have changed. I took the class with him mostly as a bonding/socializing activity, as neither of us was in (much) need of training. I generally like PetSmart training, although I have seen some trainers I would not want working with my dogs, so I understand the hesitation some people may have. The training areas are usually pretty private for quiet class time, and I really think applying what you're learning in a trafficked store is fantastic practice. I only went through the training because I had worked with the trainer for years and was very impressed with not only her collies and GSD, but also her huskies.

I would suggest watching some of the classes and talking to the trainer(s) specifically.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Did they tell you you can't take the Intermediate w/o the Beginner class? Last I knew, that was not true. If you talk directly to the trainer, you should be able to show that you have the basic requirements to move on. I had no problem putting Bogart into the Intermediate class, and it wasn't special treatment because I worked there. That was also 5+ years ago, but I don't think that should have changed. I took the class with him mostly as a bonding/socializing activity, as neither of us was in (much) need of training. I generally like PetSmart training, although I have seen some trainers I would not want working with my dogs, so I understand the hesitation some people may have. The training areas are usually pretty private for quiet class time, and I really think applying what you're learning in a trafficked store is fantastic practice. I only went through the training because I had worked with the trainer for years and was very impressed with not only her collies and GSD, but also her huskies.

I would suggest watching some of the classes and talking to the trainer(s) specifically.
All of this! I teach classes at PetSmart and as long as the owner brings in the dog to demonstrate that they know all of the Beginner behaviors, I'm fine with them going right into Intermediate.

Trainers definitely vary. Find one whose style you're happy with (it should all be positive reinforcement, clickers, etc, but I've heard some pretty bad stories online about trainers not following that), make sure you like their style of teaching, and go from there. :) Obviously our courses are not super involved or sports oriented, but the curriculum is a good, solid base for general obedience training.

Dagwall

Also make sure the facility you are thinking about doing agility with is okay with petsmart training as your basics class. A number of the facilities around me actually have listed on their websites that petsmart classes do not count for them. I agree that the value of your petsmart class depends on the trainer and your efforts but make sure the facility you want to train later at agrees as well.

When I took my first basic obedience class with Jubel we both already knew 90% of the material they covered. If I had really wanted too I think we could have "tested" into an intermediate class. But he is my first dog and I'd never done a training class before so I welcomed the experience to learn and bond together.

Maxy24

We did puppy K there and it was good. All positive, lure/reward. I did hate that there was no ring for training and we did it in an isle. It wasn't a big deal for Tucker except when we were supposed to walk around doing LLW but it would be way too much distraction for some. Some PetSmarts do have rings though. But it does keep their classes small which is helpful. His puppy K only had four dogs in it.

They give pretty standard advice as far as fixing problems like puppy biting, chewing, jumping up, etc. I wouldn't go there if you were really struggling with something and had worked on it and were now hoping for some expert advice. I wouldn't suggest them for someone with a very poorly behaved dog or any sort of aggression issue (nor do they, aggressive dogs are not allowed). But for someone who simply wants their dogs to learn their obedience commands and wants help with basic issues they're fine. I agree, go watch a class and make sure you like what you see.

Snark

Mutts to you
Riley did his puppy K and basic obedience at Petsmart (at the time, the local obedience trainer was big into Cesar, so I stayed away) and we had a pretty good instructor. The basic class wasn't as... demanding, I guess, as the classes I'd taken at obedience clubs years ago but those classes were aimed at competition and I just wanted to get Riley out and about in public. He still loves our instructor and does a happy dance when he sees her at that Petsmart, which is saying a lot since Riley is not an outgoing dog.

xpaeanx

My only concern with your plan is that you might be putting him into too much on an over stimulating environment right off the bat.

While you are going around checking out petsmarts to make sure that you like the trainers, check out where they are training and maybe bring him and see how he reacts to the environment. I've seen some stores train in the isles where there are also people shopping, I've seen some have a ring set up in the middle of the store, and I've seen some with an actual training room separate from the store. So that would be something to consider and if he's getting completely over stimulated, you may just want to work on that before paying to take a class there.

My dogs actually behave better in agility class than they do in pet stores. Not only are there other dogs all over the place, there are untrained barking dogs running up, there are untrained loud children, there are food smells everywhere, there are small animal smells, and there are urine/feces smells, and then there are random stranger adults just shopping (some of whom also seem to be untrained).

Pet stores are def fantastic to serve as a distraction proofing place, that said if your dog isn't ready for that amount of distraction it could be very frustrating.

I'm not worried about his readiness... he comes to work with me in a gift shop that is home to 2-3 cats at a time and has strangers coming in and out all the time.

He's well socialized with other dogs, just wants to play. I've done off-leash training sessions outside while people walk passed with their leashed dogs and we've never had an issue with his focus then. The other day Toby and a JRT/Pug mix were at the ends of their leashes trying to get a sniff in - once I managed to get Toby's attention, I was able to hold it until we got to our floor (so in the lobby, and the elevator to the 9th floor).

I also regularly take him into pet stores with me where there's plenty of distraction, and most recently he was in Animal Control with me to be scanned for a chip prior to renewing his license. There were other dogs waiting in the line too and he did well then. The class was more to solidify behaviors since we don't get to work on it unless the distraction is present - which isn't as often as I'd like.

No matter though... I have spoken with a friend of mine who trains and I'm thinking I'll hold off on PetSmart and do something with her instead. :)

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I can't speak for all of them, however I applied to several PetSmarts across the GTA; each time I was denied before even reaching an interview and given the reason being that I am "too experienced" to work as a trainer for them.
The experiences I listed were training my own dog to a competition level in a sport, and assisting with classes for a rescue.
Really not that much in terms of training experience.
But they wanted "fresh" trainers.

I'm not sure if it's the same out your way, but that makes me weary.

I can't speak for all of them, however I applied to several PetSmarts across the GTA; each time I was denied before even reaching an interview and given the reason being that I am "too experienced" to work as a trainer for them.
The experiences I listed were training my own dog to a competition level in a sport, and assisting with classes for a rescue.
Really not that much in terms of training experience.
But they wanted "fresh" trainers.

I'm not sure if it's the same out your way, but that makes me weary.
I applied for a grooming position and got the same response - it's because they want you to train the way they tell you to train rather than use your own techniques - but I think that's silly... (unless your technique involves beating the dog..)

AmberD

I applied for a grooming position and got the same response - it's because they want you to train the way they tell you to train rather than use your own techniques - but I think that's silly... (unless your technique involves beating the dog..)
That's interesting. We've gotten groomers through the years who come in with experience. They have to do a technical groom first. Three of my salon managers were groomers who came in with experience - two were hired specifically as salon managers, the other was promoted. All that said, IME, very few people who come from private salons stay with corporate for very long. Maybe a year or two if they're determined, but most find themselves frustrated with all the rules (restrictions on cage drying and muzzling due to breed and age, not being able to walk away from dogs on tables/in tubs, etc, certain equipment/supplies not allowed), how we take our appointments (lots of people come in with their preferred method and cannot adjust having to conform to our scheduling), constantly dealing with customers (phone, walking in, staring in (and sometimes knocking on) our windows, and the downfall of being in a retail store - having to go out and assist customers when we're not busy, and just not being able to go home when we're done.

So I've never heard of any reservations on taking experienced groomers, but I can see some hesitation regarding training. There are so many styles of training, and they're very specific on their style and probably concerned about someone with experience letting their style influence the way they teach.

Staff online

Members online