One of the things that makes me mad

Julie

I am back again.
I have read about a new vaccine (it is supposed to be safer and effective). It is available to help reduce the number of shots a dog would receive. It protects against destemper, hepatitis and parvovirus. It is called Continuum DAP. It needs to be given only once every three years, as opposed to once a year shots. It can be given to dogs as early as six weeks of age.

I have done no further research as to this vaccine, and have never used it. But it would be great if they could make one for the rest of the dreaded dog diseases as well. The article was posted in my local newspaper. Haven't checked the web yet.

Julie.

Has anyone gone back and re-read this thread? It's incredibly REDUNDANT!
Ok, so everyone does things different. Fran was not stating an opinion...she was stating a fact. Bringing an unfully vaccinated puppy into places like PetSmart and bark parks runs the risk of the puppy catching parvo or other life threatening diseases. FACT.
You can argue all you want but you are still taking that risk when you do it.
I think some people just tend to worry more than others about such things. Not ALL puppies catch diseases and die from doing those things.
I brought my puppy to PetSmart when she was about 8 or 9 weeks but I held her the entire time.
Even if you just take your puppy out in your yard you run some risk. Who's to say another dog that hasn't been vaccinated hasn't gone through your yard? Even at the Vet....people bring in their sick pets...your puppy is exposed.
You can't be paranoid about it....just use common sense and limit exposure to where other dogs are or have been.
Yuckaduck....I'm sorry you are so sensitive. I had a childhood similar to the one you described. You really need to get over it and rise above. You know you're not stupid...you certainly don't come across as such. People argue...it's what we DO. It's the spice in life. I personally enjoy a good verbal battle from time to time. Get back here and express your opinion and stick to what you believe. Just recognize a fact from an opinion, that's all! :D

Pam

Fran27

Now that you mention it Julie, it's always been a big question whether to vaccine dogs every year or not... It seems it's not safe to do it (I can find a link if needed), and some vets seem to do it after a year for the first time, then every two years. I think it's what mine does, from the papers he handed to me when I brought Tips the first time. Bottom line, even now vets don't seem to agree about what's the best for the dogs.

thewhitewitchone, you sum it up pretty much. At least vets clean the floor with bleach all the time, I do remember reading somewhere too that it's better not to leave young puppies on the floor there if it can be avoided. But yeah, it's not the safest place for sure... Probably why I only brought Tips there in a carrier, but I'm lucky he even fits in there. And yes, same for the yard, although I use my backyard for now where no dog has ever been except Boris.

So yeah, it can't really be totally avoided, and most puppies will never catch anything, but it's to everyone's good sense to avoid problems as much as possible.

And by the way, my life so far wasn't fun at all either, and I'm starting to think I am an extremely unlucky person because it seems nothing I work on actually works, but I guess you have to deal with the cards you were given. I don't mind people arguing but I've received some comments in my life that gave me my fair share of crying, so now when I believe in something, I defend my opinion.

Doberluv

When I was young and someone in my family and I would be arguing or discussing back and forth about something that was a matter of fact, not an opinion, my Dad would cut us off and say, "Stop arguing about something that is fact. You can look it up and get your answer. Argue about opinions, not facts." LOL.

Julie

I am back again.
Fran,
I don't need a link. I have my own idea's about vaccinations, and usually after about 2 or 3 years of age, I give the boosters every two years.
None of my dogs have ever had a problem, and there are links to just about every "fact" you would want to believe.

I think with vaccinations there are no facts, just reccommendations. Everyone has a different idea about it.

And even a fully vaccinated dog is not 100% protected, there is still a very slight risk of contracting something if exposed.

Also, those people who have their vets administer vaccinations, Do you know exactly which diseases that particular shot covers? Their are many different combo's of shots.

One shot could protect against parvo.

While one shot could protect against Adenovirus, Corona virus, Distemper, Hep., Parvo, Parainfluenza virus

Do you know which one your pup received? And if they actually need that or not?

For me personally, I like to decide for my dogs when and what they receive in a vaccination, as well as wormings. Like I said somewhere before, my dogs get yearly exams and rabies shots (when due), by the vet. But I do everything else myself. And I know exactly what is covered and what is not.(In vaccinations and dewormings)
And I feel very comfortable doing it this way.
It's my choice.

Julie.

Fran27

It's not a bad idea. But in some countries it's illegal not to go to a vet and have the shots given every year.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
This isn't something to get all out of hand about. And kind of have to agree with puckstop, Fran. No offense or anything.

But on the other hand, you're right. Rocky got sick like that when I took him on a walk when he was around 14 weeks... I didn't realize he could get sick from just a short-walk, he did though. I learned my lesson.

Julie

I am back again.
Yea, I guess that is true. Im in the US, so I am not familiar with other countries requirements.

Just curious, which countries (by law) require vaccinations other than rabies?
And at a yearly rate?

I believe yuckaduck said in Canada they are not even required by law to get rabies shots.

Thanks,
Julie.

Fran27

France does, from what people said on another forum. Not sure if it's just them or the European Union though.

Y

yuckaduck

Nope no requirements by law in Canada, don't even need to go to the vet if you so choose however I do go. From what my vet told me he said three boosters at 6weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks, however yukon got his much earlier because there was confusion to his actuall age. At 1 year old a booster and then every three years. But we are doing rabies yearly as here it is a hugh problem. They even run clinics to encourage people to come out and get rabies. It is for anyone and at a cheap price. The ministry of natural resources is live trap catching raccoons, skunks and porcipines and testing for rabies right now as a result of the problems and high amount of cases. Here the shots are limited to what is needed at the time. Like no Lyme as it is not a problem. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, this is just what my vet told me.

Members online

No members online now.